shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone advice badly needed!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting thread, and beautiful stones! I'm not a big fan of tanzanite, but those two larger ones, and the oval, are very pretty indeed! I urge you to have the opal looked at, it's quite pretty and might be worth a fair hunk of change. I wish I had the money to buy one of these from you, but it sounds like once you determine a value and put them up for sale, there are people already lined up waiting to buy :)

Keep us posted!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason - I just wanted to add that your appraiser was incorrect about one statement. She told you that the larger Tanzanites were very uncommon? My experience is that's not the case. I have about 5 pieces over 10ct and the largest is 18ct. So don't let that worry you at all!

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the encouraging words! VapidLapid and portoar I had planned to have the Opal looked at as well, but I realized at the last minute that the appraiser only accepted cash or checks, so I had to adjust the game plan a little bit for now because I couldn’t afford to do them all at once. As soon I can get some pieces sold and get a little caught up $-wise I will be back for another round of appraisals.
Thanks amethyst guy, but you are far too kind! The reality is I am grateful to you all for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me. It has been am amazingly stressful couple of years and I put off the day when we would have to do this as long as humanly possible… and then some. I am completely out of my depth in this realm, and you have folks have been wonderful! I thank you all again and I will keep you posted as soon as I have the reports! Have a great weekend!
Jason

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing that LovingDiamonds! Any words of encouragement are very welcome these days :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jaybbles :wavey: I just wanted to restate the obvious - that you are welcome any time to share information, ask questions, seek advice, etc. If you're not already aware, from the caring responses you have received, it is clear that your humility and gracious willingness to listen and learn have won over many of us PSers. Please do let us know what happens. Who knows, you may be back shortly asking where to sell the stones and how to take good photos of each. We'll be ready!

It sounds like you have been through a lot. It is hard going from having a capable, independent and rational parent to playing the role of caretaker. Emotionally, financially, logistically - it is just hard. And sad. And frustrating. Many of us have been there. I wish you the best and hope that you have opportunities to find pleasure in the little things and indulge yourself to keep your strength up.

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
Hello Everybody!

I'm sorry for being MIA for a little bit, I'll spare you all the drama, and just say it is indeed "never a dull moment". Thank you minousbijoux for taking the time to write such a kind message. It is really clear that you understand the situation. I am definitely relearning my limits on what feels like a daily basis. I appreciate your encouragement a great deal, thank you!

So... I got the reports on the first set of stones and the news is pretty good I think! It is amazing to see how dead on you all were in just casual assessing my less than stellar photos! Not at all shocking on what seems like Murphy's law month for me that my scanner is not cooperating tonight, so I "scanned" a few of the pages with my phone camera to show you all. I will try to properly scan the reports for all the pieces somewhere tomorrow hopefully. I know a few of you were curious about the sphene so I made sure to include that one tonight. Hopefully they will be legible for now since they are just pictures :) But I wanted to share them with you all. I promise to do my best to get them all up tomorrow or so.

As always any thoughts or feedback are welcome and thanks again to you all!
Jason

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about your mom's declining health.

The opal in this thread is :love: and the close up pictures of the other stones you posted in the Preloved PS Jewels forum are very pretty.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
You have received a lot of great advice. One other route to consider is getting an auction estimate from a reputable auction house. I have sold several stones at auction through one of the larger and reputable auction houses. I have no other affiliation with any of them. Sothebys and Christie's are difficult to get a response from, but some of the large "second tier" houses (e.g., Bonhams), are pretty accomodating at giving auction estimates.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results