shape
carat
color
clarity

GemSafe insurance - very poor customer service

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird. I have also been having trouble getting updates. They haven’t sent me my policy yet (which has been in effect since Dec 1), and I’ve reached out a couple of times over the past week about the status, and Stephanie says she’ll check and get back to me right away, but still hasn’t yet.

Are you 100% sure th policy is in effect? I thoght mine was but it appears to not be active but in some pending approval status since Jan 4.

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
Are you 100% sure th policy is in effect? I thoght mine was but it appears to not be active but in some pending approval status since Jan 4.

Not at all :(

This sucks because I’m traveling abroad (with the ring) right now, which is actually why I reached out to them last week and told them I wanted to see the policy before I left, and now I can’t call them...

How do you look at your policy online? I never made an account or anything since everything was done over email.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all :(

This sucks because I’m traveling abroad (with the ring) right now, which is actually why I reached out to them last week and told them I wanted to see the policy before I left, and now I can’t call them...

How do you look at your policy online? I never made an account or anything since everything was done over email.

You should email [email protected] and ask him if your policy is active.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just "deleted my application" with 5 policies, so I guess that is proof that I have been unknowingly uninsured for 3 weeks.

That is the unforgivable part-- I've been walking around New Orleans with my jewelry on thinking I was insured.

I am waiting for my state farm rep and my Ampac rep to call me back and I will give them each a few policies.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just emailed the three to tell them I deleted my application, that I am moving on and for them to not call me because I am already gone.

:angryfire:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, well last night I applied to Jewelers Mutual...and this morning, less than 12 hours later I have effective coverage! Finally, piece of mind. And I didn't have to call 8 times, I got to speak with a live person on the first try (no voicemail), didn't have to provide an appraisal, and best of all I didn't have to submit photos! :-o After my experience with Gemsafe and their constantly changing photo requirements I actually asked Jewelers Mutual twice whether I had to send them photos....I was shocked when they said no.

Wow, was that easy compared to my experience with Gemsafe....feeling so relieved now. :pray:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is horrible! I'm glad nothing happened to your pieces thankfully...but still, thinking you were insured when you were not. Horrible horrible horrible! Not having insurance when you think you have it is WORSE than not having insurance period!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well last night I applied to Jewelers Mutual...and this morning, less than 12 hours later I have effective coverage! Finally, piece of mind. And I didn't have to call 8 times, I got to speak with a live person on the first try (no voicemail), and best of all I didn't have to submit photos! :-o

Wow, was that easy compared to my experience with Gemsafe....feeling so relieved now. :pray:

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you now have coverage.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is horrible! I'm glad nothing happened to your pieces thankfully...but still, thinking you were insured when you were not. Horrible horrible horrible! Not having insurance when you think you have it is WORSE than not having insurance period!

Yeah, what a failure on the part of Gemsafe.

Everything is going in a bank vault until it all gets sorted out and I have full coverage,

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with JM and although I’ve never had a claim, they have otherwise been friendly and professional.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Ralph just called. I'm not the kind of woman who says "don't call me" and I really mean that you had better call me. I mean don't call me.

He left a message saying he can't see inside the company's system because he is a contract worker, but Stephanie thought I had coverage.... see, this is where *I DON'T CARE* what kind of hot mess you have going on in your offices. I don't care who thought what.

He asked me to call him back so I can tell him if I have coverage or not (I half listened...). Look, I deleted my application successfullly. I clearly had no coverage. I'm busy with doc scan getting my appraisals to new companies.

He feels bad this happened.

So what, who cares.... see ya later, Ralph. :wavey:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Insurance is about peace of mind. When your insurer tells you they *think* you have coverage how does that lack of certainty inspire confidence? There are no "almosts" when it comes to the question of whether you have a policy or not. Confidence is a pillar of insurance...without it what's the point?

I think you did the right thing by moving on.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I call back, the same rep answers and puts me on hold for almost 10 minutes then tells me now they need a picture of me holding the ring, with a newspaper with today's date. And that I need to get an appraisal in my state (instead of the receipt from Texas from Whiteflash). I told her it would have been great if they set out the specific photo requirements on the website to avoid all this back and forth. :roll

Ha, I know you've since moved on, but I just had to address that part. What the actual eff lol? That's like 1970's proof of life in a kidnapping/ransom case type stuff. I haven't touched a physical newspaper in at least 10 years, if not longer.

Last edited:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know! I wasn't about to go out and buy a newspaper just for that purpose...

Frankly, it seemed like they were trying REALLY hard not to get my business, so I didn't give it to them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom line is, no one said to me "yes, you have x policies" or "no, you don't have policies..."

It just seemed like double speak... "under the impression" "thought you did" is not the same as, "do I have policies in effect, YES NO check one..."

So strange...

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To be fair, I was initially very excited about GemSafe because they were very responsive during the setting up phase. I asked probably a dozen questions over several emails and got same-day (even late evening) responses.

They’ve never asked for photographs from me, although my appraisal has a picture.
My appraisal also had a picture. They wanted me to print a sheet that they had emailed and photograph with the sheet as the background

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for your headaches @whitewave. It seems that they have dropped the ball on many levels.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it totally reasonable for insurers to ask for some sort of time-stamped evidence that you possess the ring. My beef with Gemsafe is that their requirements for such photographic proof isn't clearly communicated.

Their website tells you nothing about what type of photograph is needed. Then they tell me to take a picture of the ring on a piece of white paper with the date written on it. Then they tell me that's no good and they need me holding the ring with a copy of today's newspaper.

Just set out the requirements in plain English from the beginning and save customers a lot of headache.

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
Well, neither Stephanie nor the other email @whitewave mentioned (Ralph?) responded to email. I can’t really make calls until Feb 5 when I’m back in the states. This is pretty frustrating :(

I guess I’m walking around Asia with a dubiously-insured ring. Oops.

@whitewave, did you ever successfully pay them? I was under the impression that if they accepted payment (and they did mine), then legally they’re accepting the contract. It’s a little sketchy that I never saw the terms of said contract, but hopefully it should hold up somewhat?

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
A week or so ago I posted a thread asking about jewelry insurance...some suggested GemSafe. Please move this thread if it does not belong here.

For the last week or so I've tried to apply for jewelry insurance to cover the new Whiteflash engagement ring I just bought.

Some PSers recommended GemSafe over other insurers due to their lower premiums, so I decided to try it.

The initial online application was easy enough but 2 business days after I submitted the application I received a rejection notice saying I needed to send a different picture to prove possession. As instructed I sent a photo of the ring on a white piece of paper, with today's date. I promptly followed up to let them know that I sent the photo. No response.

This morning I call GemSafe and the rep tells me they received my picture and that she will get the application moved to the front of the pile and that someone will get back to me within the hour. 5 hours pass, no contact, so I call back. Another rep tells me that the rep I spoke to in the morning will get back to me this afternoon. Another 3 hours pass, no calls, no emails. I call back, the same rep answers and puts me on hold for almost 10 minutes then tells me now they need a picture of me holding the ring, with a newspaper with today's date. And that I need to get an appraisal in my state (instead of the receipt from Texas from Whiteflash). I told her it would have been great if they set out the specific photo requirements on the website to avoid all this back and forth. :roll

I told her their lack of responsiveness, failure to call/email back when promised did not inspire a lot of confidence in the event that I ever had to make a claim. She was apologetic but I told her to cancel my application and that I would go with another company.

If an insurer lacks responsiveness and communication when you're trying to sign up to pay them money how will they respond when you make a claim? :shock:

Bad experience....very poor customer service. I'm very disappointed in GemSafe.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, neither Stephanie nor the other email @whitewave mentioned (Ralph?) responded to email. I can’t really make calls until Feb 5 when I’m back in the states. This is pretty frustrating :(

I guess I’m walking around Asia with a dubiously-insured ring. Oops.

@whitewave, did you ever successfully pay them? I was under the impression that if they accepted payment (and they did mine), then legally they’re accepting the contract. It’s a little sketchy that I never saw the terms of said contract, but hopefully it should hold up somewhat?

The bill goes to DH's office and his office manager has it he is supposed to check this week.

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
I helped to develop the GemSafe program so I feel responsible when anyone has an issue with the GemSafe customer service. I know the underwriter that reviews these applications and the issues she addresses on an every-day basis. Just now GemSafe (which is underwritten by AIG) is undergoing some growing pains. They have gained a great deal of traction over this past year but they have sustained some unnecessary losses due to underwriting issues that occasionally occur in the insurance business. These losses were avoidable and GemSafe is seeking to update their underwriting guidelines. This is causing delays in what is normally excellent service. We've been at this since 2014 and have developed a wonderful product that covers the insured more thoroughly then most coverage, and does so at an extremely competitive rate. The service will improve as the underwriters make adjustments to prevent unnecessary losses. I can speak from personal experience when i say that the staff within the company wants to provide a great product and great service. If you feel you need to speak with me personally to gain some insight, please feel free to call me 866 725 1999. As to anyone asking me directly for assistance, I will try to help whenever and wherever possible.

Regarding the question about the picture. The changes describing what is necessary to confirm possession is a simple image of the jewelry on a piece of plain paper with a date. If you had any other instructions, I apologize, but I had not heard that a picture on a newspaper was necessary (or any better than taking a picture with your smartphone on a paper with a current handwritten date). This should be very simple stuff. You can put your hand down on a white piece of paper, wearing your ring, and write the date and take a picture. That is pretty much all there is to it. This is proof of possession. Proof of ownership is usually a recent invoice or a properly written appraisal.

Regarding the timing for response, up until very recently Stephanie has been able to respond within hours of submissions. She takes pride in doing so. Currently, many of the applications are being reviewed and double checked to address underwriting and minimize losses. This slows the process and we are trying to address this now. Please be patient while adjustments are made to her guidelines. If you give us a bit of time, this will be resolved and you will have a great insurance product.

Regarding policies. GemValue policies should be delivered in your email when you get the Welcome email. If not, and you are sure you were approved, you should be able to download your policy from your account, which is always available to you on the GemSafe site (24 -7). You login using your user name and password. Just be clear, no credit card is charged until the policy is approved. Approval comes in the form of an email notification. If you have been approved then you are covered.

A little history. SterlingRisk (also known as Sterling and Sterling some years ago) has been around for close to 85 years. They are a very large agency. AIG has been around for over 100 years. Currently they are the underwriter for all the GemSafe Program policies. AIG is one of the largest insurers in the world. Big doesn't always mean better, but in this case what you want is a company that can pay to replace anything you could insure. This company can, and does.

Anyone that has purchased a policy is covered. I understand what happened with Whitewave and learned this morning that she was covered for the year starting in January of 2017. I was told that the policy expired yesterday. She should have had a policy in her possession since the initial confirmation email. If not, I truly wish we had known sooner, as Stephanie would have emailed it to her. Apparently, there was a second application that was entered into the site (which looked to the software as if there was a new account). This one created confusion and was stated to be pending. I think I confused matters by advising her to go on to her account to remove something she wished to stop covering; and I think that started a series of concerns about having coverage. There were two items covered for the full term of the insurance. Yesterday, I first learned that there was an issue and I am truly sorry to have worried anyone. That is the kind of thing I lose sleep over. The reason you buy insurance is so you can sleep at night.

I really believe the problem is poor communication. I sometimes think that automation can assume certain things and leave people in the dark about what is really happening. We need to do a better job of communicating and I am going to try to make sure that happens.

I'm an independent contractor working with GemSafe. I'm going to start monitoring this site more frequently so I can help anyone that asks.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven’t seen either a hard or digital copy of my policy yet. Is it normal to not have it by now? I paid for it end of Nov, to be effective Dec 1.
Ask for it. Sometimes it can take 60-90 days to issue the policy. I don’t think you should worry- just ask them to send it to you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_4075.jpg I was covered for one pair of earrings 2017-2018. (this screenshot was pulled from my online account at gemsafe)

That pair was double added to the new policies that I never received an email about approval for 2018-2019. I never received approval and I never received a policy. This was for numerous pieces, five pieces, not counting the double added 6th piece (buttercup earrings).

This is what I have been trying to get and deal with for 3 weeks. Three weeks. My application was submitted on 1-4-18. I emailed and called about my coverage. How can you know about it sooner than when I applied?

I didn't ask to remove the pair of earring studs I upgraded until last week, Friday the 19th. The earrings were not received back at Blue Nile until Thursday, January 18.

(Tinsure is Ralph responding in case anyone is wondering).

@tinsure at any rate, I now have coverage in place today with other companies

Last edited:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RubberDucky - try sending Them an email confirming your coverage. Reference your policy number, the date coverage was effective and reference your payment. Say you have not received your policy yet and are confirming that it was issued effective Dec 1, 2017, etc. and that they bound the coverage as they promised.

have they cashed your check?

Maybe TInsure can help you out and ease your mind!

CAF

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your explanation and nice sentiments.

Whatever the reason, "growing pains" or not, communication is sorely lacking at the moment and for jewelry owners who need coverage ASAP waiting around in limbo wondering if you have coverage is simply unacceptable. There are other insurers out there who will pick up the phone when you call, answer emails promptly and provide simple, clear answers about the status of your coverage.

As I've said above, insurance is about peace of mind. If things are this bungled when you're trying to sign up as a new customer, how will they be when you actually want to make a claim?!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3781.jpg

Note who I CC's the email to:
IMG_3782.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, Ralph, maybe someone in the office is misleading you for some reason....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephanie went in and uploaded everything onto my application and she is the one who double added the earrings (which mistakes happen, but she never got around to fixing it).

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, my intent here isn't to "talk Ralph to task" but to enlighten him that I believe there may be larger issues in the gemsafe office, about which he may not know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results