shape
carat
color
clarity

GemSafe insurance - very poor customer service

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
I helped to develop the GemSafe program so I feel responsible when anyone has an issue with the GemSafe customer service. I know the underwriter that reviews these applications and the issues she addresses on an every-day basis. Just now GemSafe (which is underwritten by AIG) is undergoing some growing pains. They have gained a great deal of traction over this past year but they have sustained some unnecessary losses due to underwriting issues that occasionally occur in the insurance business. These losses were avoidable and GemSafe is seeking to update their underwriting guidelines. This is causing delays in what is normally excellent service. We've been at this since 2014 and have developed a wonderful product that covers the insured more thoroughly then most coverage, and does so at an extremely competitive rate. The service will improve as the underwriters make adjustments to prevent unnecessary losses. I can speak from personal experience when i say that the staff within the company wants to provide a great product and great service. If you feel you need to speak with me personally to gain some insight, please feel free to call me 866 725 1999. As to anyone asking me directly for assistance, I will try to help whenever and wherever possible.

Regarding the question about the picture. The changes describing what is necessary to confirm possession is a simple image of the jewelry on a piece of plain paper with a date. If you had any other instructions, I apologize, but I had not heard that a picture on a newspaper was necessary (or any better than taking a picture with your smartphone on a paper with a current handwritten date). This should be very simple stuff. You can put your hand down on a white piece of paper, wearing your ring, and write the date and take a picture. That is pretty much all there is to it. This is proof of possession. Proof of ownership is usually a recent invoice or a properly written appraisal.

Regarding the timing for response, up until very recently Stephanie has been able to respond within hours of submissions. She takes pride in doing so. Currently, many of the applications are being reviewed and double checked to address underwriting and minimize losses. This slows the process and we are trying to address this now. Please be patient while adjustments are made to her guidelines. If you give us a bit of time, this will be resolved and you will have a great insurance product.

Regarding policies. GemValue policies should be delivered in your email when you get the Welcome email. If not, and you are sure you were approved, you should be able to download your policy from your account, which is always available to you on the GemSafe site (24 -7). You login using your user name and password. Just be clear, no credit card is charged until the policy is approved. Approval comes in the form of an email notification. If you have been approved then you are covered.

A little history. SterlingRisk (also known as Sterling and Sterling some years ago) has been around for close to 85 years. They are a very large agency. AIG has been around for over 100 years. Currently they are the underwriter for all the GemSafe Program policies. AIG is one of the largest insurers in the world. Big doesn't always mean better, but in this case what you want is a company that can pay to replace anything you could insure. This company can, and does.

Anyone that has purchased a policy is covered. I understand what happened with Whitewave and learned this morning that she was covered for the year starting in January of 2017. I was told that the policy expired yesterday. She should have had a policy in her possession since the initial confirmation email. If not, I truly wish we had known sooner, as Stephanie would have emailed it to her. Apparently, there was a second application that was entered into the site (which looked to the software as if there was a new account). This one created confusion and was stated to be pending. I think I confused matters by advising her to go on to her account to remove something she wished to stop covering; and I think that started a series of concerns about having coverage. There were two items covered for the full term of the insurance. Yesterday, I first learned that there was an issue and I am truly sorry to have worried anyone. That is the kind of thing I lose sleep over. The reason you buy insurance is so you can sleep at night.

I really believe the problem is poor communication. I sometimes think that automation can assume certain things and leave people in the dark about what is really happening. We need to do a better job of communicating and I am going to try to make sure that happens.

I'm an independent contractor working with GemSafe. I'm going to start monitoring this site more frequently so I can help anyone that asks.

Thanks for your help on this!

I’m not able to login to the website because I never had an account — I purchased the GemExtensive policy (not GemValue) directly over email with Stephanie. I tried using the email address that I used with Stephanie to login and was told the email address does not exist in the system.

I don’t have a welcome email. I have emailed from a Stephanie the binder, invoice, and receipt (after I called to pay with credit card).

I emailed both Stephanie and the address @whitewave suggested yesterday with no response. Is there a better email address? I’m traveling in Asia right now and would like to avoid calling.

I’m a little anxious because I don’t know what are the actual terms of my policy, like all the fine print and stuff. I’m actually confused why it’s taken so long to get the policy; has it not actually been written? What did I buy? (My paranoia is making me worry that if something happens to my ring now, the policy terms will change to not include it before it’s sent to me.)

Last edited:

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
RubberDucky - try sending Them an email confirming your coverage. Reference your policy number, the date coverage was effective and reference your payment. Say you have not received your policy yet and are confirming that it was issued effective Dec 1, 2017, etc. and that they bound the coverage as they promised.

have they cashed your check?

Maybe TInsure can help you out and ease your mind!

CAF

I mean, I’ve sent Stephanie multiple emails to that effect and she keeps saying she’ll check and get right back to me.

I also emailed the rcohen@ address (is that Ralph?) 26hr ago and no response.

I paid via credit card and the charge was processed immediately at the time. The invoice for the charge said I was approved. I’m fairly confident (85% sure) that there’s some policy in place, but who knows what the terms are, and if they’ll change if something actually happens to my ring...

seaglass

Rough_Rock
I had an issue only with the initial application in that the software only allows you to upload one item, but you are required to upload two things (receipt and picture of the ring). So my application was rejected initially. I then saw that you can just email them the documents, so I just reapplied and did that. I was covered the following day. But I did respond to the initial rejection email and never received a response. I double checked my account just to make sure, but things look fine.

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
RubberDucky, please email me directly and I will go directly to AIG and ask why you haven't received your policy. There are a few people that have been waiting for their actual policies and I'm not sure I know you (because of your handle here on Pricescope). Someone said it takes 60 to 90 days to receive an actual policy, and in GemExtensive's case, that is true. The issuance of that type of policy is not automated (GemValue is automated). FYI When I receive an email that relates to direct interaction with AIG I send the email over to the person responsible within SterlingRisk (as it is their job to respond). Many times I'm unaware of the outcome of that email request because I'm not always copied into the response to the sender.

In your case I will ask the question directly to see if I can solve it. My agreement is to act as a consultant, so I try not break protocols inside the firm. I will see what I can do to address this issue. Please send me an email to [email protected] and I'll work on it today.

Jim bones, your correct about only being able to upload one image per item that you want to insure. Currently it's a limitation of the system. The software team has a list of priorities and is going make it possible to upload multiple files. In the meanwhile you can send additional certifications or images to [email protected]. That is Stephanie's email address. She will add the add the details to your account.

Someone commented that I may not know everything that is going on internally with SterlingRisk and GemSafe, or AIG for that matter. That's fair comment. I do know the people within SterlingRisk, and I do know they want to make certain their clients have a positive experience. I also know some of the underwriters at many of the firms insuring your jewelry. Almost every one of them are humans, and are trying to do their jobs. It's one of the things I like about the industry. It's far from perfect, but I know almost everyone I interact with cares about their work. GemSafe has taken a great many ideas about jewelry insurance and tried to bring them to bring them forward. It's a work in progress, and I care about the success of the company for many reasons.

I'll keep checking in and try to answer any questions. I'm somewhat limited in that I don't know enough about Pricescope to navigate (or "see") all the comments, and any advice about how to navigate is appreciated. Please let me know if I missed anyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been recommending Gem Safe because I knew of Ralph and Touchstone years ago. People need an alternative to JM because their premiums are simply too high. I refuse to overpay.

It sounds like the office that handles the applications is understaffed or something, so let’s hope that gets straightened out quickly. I do think the site needs to specify exactly what is needed for the two types of coverage if they want to offer online applications. Then there needs to be an explanation of the timeframe for approval and the policy should be sent in the mail. I expect email responses within 24 hours. If one person had a complication, I wouldn’t think too much of it, but there are too many recent complaints to ignore. But still, Poshmommy was able to get coverage and a mostly smooth process, so I am still hopeful things will improve.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Ralph. Today, all of my in progress policies are back on, including the earrings listed twice. I deleted them all yesterday.

SIGH.

It says "in progress application" (filled out on 1/4/18

And

Effective date: "set upon approval"
Expiration date: "set upon approval"

Please help me remove my application so I can move on with my life. Thank you.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I started out trying to insure with GemSafe because I was told they had lower premiums compared to JM. Turns out my quote for both was almost exactly the same.

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
I started out trying to insure with GemSafe because I was told they had lower premiums compared to JM. Turns out my quote for both was almost exactly the same.

What is the value of that which you are trying to insure, what is your zip code, and what was the quote you received?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$15-20K, NYC and my quote was around $300/yr in both cases

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your help on this!

I’m not able to login to the website because I never had an account — I purchased the GemExtensive policy (not GemValue) directly over email with Stephanie. I tried using the email address that I used with Stephanie to login and was told the email address does not exist in the system.

I don’t have a welcome email. I have emailed from a Stephanie the binder, invoice, and receipt (after I called to pay with credit card).

I emailed both Stephanie and the address @whitewave suggested yesterday with no response. Is there a better email address? I’m traveling in Asia right now and would like to avoid calling.

I’m a little anxious because I don’t know what are the actual terms of my policy, like all the fine print and stuff. I’m actually confused why it’s taken so long to get the policy; has it not actually been written? What did I buy? (My paranoia is making me worry that if something happens to my ring now, the policy terms will change to not include it before it’s sent to me.)

RubberDucky, please email me directly and I will go directly to AIG and ask why you haven't received your policy. There are a few people that have been waiting for their actual policies and I'm not sure I know you (because of your handle here on Pricescope). Someone said it takes 60 to 90 days to receive an actual policy, and in GemExtensive's case, that is true. The issuance of that type of policy is not automated (GemValue is automated). FYI When I receive an email that relates to direct interaction with AIG I send the email over to the person responsible within SterlingRisk (as it is their job to respond). Many times I'm unaware of the outcome of that email request because I'm not always copied into the response to the sender. I'm getting familiar with how to use Pricescope and instead of replying generally I will be replying directly to questions going forward. R

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
$15-20K, NYC and my quote was around $300/yr in both cases

Ok, the maximum amount that you should be paying in Manhattan is $1.80 per $100 in value without taking a number of deductibles available to you. Various counties in the US are all rated differently depending on where you reside. There is no escalation in premium as the values increase (go above 15K for a single item). If you go to GemSafe.com; there is a quick quoting function that should allow you to put in your zip code and the amount you want to insure. This quick quoting function is for the GemValue policy. You will be covered up to 125% of the value of your jewelry.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Right, the quotes I got from JM and Gemsafe fell into that range. The difference for me was that I got coverage from JM in less than 12 hours after signing up with zero hassle.

I had to call Gemsafe multiple times a day and practically beg someone to call me back, which was promised, but never happened.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Same. I got quotes for both and they were within $50 or so of each other. Like others I kept calling and writing trying to get more info about their gemextensive policy but couldnt get any answers. The extra $50 is worth the convenience and peace of mind for me....back to JM!

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, Ralph. Today, all of my in progress policies are back on, including the earrings listed twice. I deleted them all yesterday.

SIGH.

It says "in progress application" (filled out on 1/4/18

And

Effective date: "set upon approval"
Expiration date: "set upon approval"

Please help me remove my application so I can move on with my life. Thank you.

I have emailed Stephanie on your behalf to remove the application. I do know that you had an active policy up until two days ago. That policy has expired in the normal course of events. Your application will not have any impact as it is only internal to GemSafe. Your payment information is never charged unless the application is approved, but I will try to have it expunged from the system for you.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To everyone affected, I am sorry to hear about your troubles, wishing you a speedy resolution! I have been reading this thread wih interest because I intended on changing my JM policy. Unless the issues get resolved soon, gemsafe’s growing paint will continue to grown. I am certainly staying with JM for the time being. 60-90 days approval period for an insurance is simply unacceptable in today’s day and age. Good luck to all!

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
RubberDucky, please email me directly and I will go directly to AIG and ask why you haven't received your policy. There are a few people that have been waiting for their actual policies and I'm not sure I know you (because of your handle here on Pricescope). Someone said it takes 60 to 90 days to receive an actual policy, and in GemExtensive's case, that is true. The issuance of that type of policy is not automated (GemValue is automated). FYI When I receive an email that relates to direct interaction with AIG I send the email over to the person responsible within SterlingRisk (as it is their job to respond). Many times I'm unaware of the outcome of that email request because I'm not always copied into the response to the sender. I'm getting familiar with how to use Pricescope and instead of replying generally I will be replying directly to questions going forward. R

Ralph, I emailed you 2 days ago with no response. I just forwarded the email I already sent to you. Here’s a snapshot of my sent folder, note that I have not received a response to any of these emails except the one on Monday (to which she said she’ll get right back to me) —

8C9D8771-2227-4C66-8625-35E45B09054A.jpeg
It’s kind of frustrating that

1) I’m being told I’ll hear back soon, and it doesn’t happen, and
2) People stopped responding to emails

Why do GemExtensive policies take so long? Are the terms not decided when I pay for the policy? How can you sell something (and take payment) without saying what it is?

This is what I’ve been afraid of, that I pay for a policy starting Dec 1, but GemSafe gets a free roll by deciding the policy terms half way through the year, so if anything happens to my ring now, it’s going to “somehow” not be covered.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, obviously NYC may have among the highest insurance rates. But I will show you why I recommend comparing because areas with lower crime rates have very different rates than major cities. The rates below are using my zip code.

$20,000 coverage
Gemsafe. $210
Jewelers Mutual $280

$50,000 coverage
Gemsafe $525
Jewelers Mutual $700
(For reference, my Chubb policy with cash payout is the same price as Gemsafe, but Chubb is no longer available as a standalone policy. You may be able to get their valuables policy if you have your homeowners through them.)

So I can see why someone might not care if they pay $70 too much, but the more you insure, the more you overpay unless you live where they are going to charge top rates anyway. However, we will just have to see if Gemsafe gets their act together.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just tried it for my area code in NYC:

For $15k ring:
Gemsafe $270
JM: $300

$30 less per year for Gemsafe...but dealing with the hassle of trying to sign up with Gemsafe and their lack of responsiveness isn't worth saving $30 a year to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I wouldn’t go to the trouble of switching companies, either, if it was only going to save me $30. In the future if you should happen to add diamond stud earrings and maybe a diamond bracelet, you might reassess!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would reassess in the near future if they can provide me with prompt, reliable customer service! Someone wake me up when that happens!

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
I just tried it for my area code in NYC:

For $15k ring:
Gemsafe $270
JM: $300

$30 less per year for Gemsafe...but dealing with the hassle of trying to sign up with Gemsafe and their lack of responsiveness isn't worth saving $30 a year to me.

I live in lower Manhattan, and GemExtensive was 1.5% of my insured value (after discounts), and JM was 2.35% AND they insisted on a substantial deductible. JM only gives a 2-5% discount for central station alarm. GE gives a 15% discount for the same, plus 10% for a home safe.

GemSafe would’ve been more than GE, though I forget by how much.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That all sounds good. I tried to sign up for Gemsafe first...they didn't seem to want my business despite me calling them emailing and calling them a dozen times!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like they never fixed their issues.

What really sucks is that the price was sooooo much cheaper with GS...
$32000 coverage ($500 deductible)
GS - $258
JM - $480

tinsure

Rough_Rock
Trade
Anyone having any difficulty with GemSafe should please contact me directly at [email protected] or call my office at 847 897 5230. I am fairly expert at addressing these issues, and depending on your need I will advise you according the individual's insurance request. I do not want to break the protocols of the site, so I apologize if I have stepped out of bounds. I will be happy to help any of you resolve any reasonable issue. The number goes to my mobile if I am not available and I try to get to everyone. I think anyone that I have interacted with will confirm that I do my best to help people whether they are clients or not.

UserError

Rough_Rock
Are people still having issues with Gemsafe? JM is $812 and GS is $535 to cover $36K.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results