shape
carat
color
clarity

Gems and jewelry which you don’t like as much as you thought you would have.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve had some great threads about favorites, prettiest and luckiest pieces.... thought it might be fun to share things which we are just not that crazy about after all, and why. It may be just the stone, or the settings, or both, or poor attempts on our part to communicate design inspirations to a jeweler, who also may not have understood, or didnt apply/lacked the skill. Or it could be pieces which we used to love, but have ‘outgrown’. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
86A49003-FB75-4354-835F-B39CC5ABFA6E.jpeg D8C50546-1EC8-4623-8492-A719093730A5.jpeg 2043CB10-12FF-410C-A303-268042AB297D.jpeg B5BECC0A-051D-4A85-B9B6-74CF4249C713.jpeg 578DAC26-7849-4EBC-A494-96BB5F2A3CB6.jpeg DDEE62F0-5181-4A34-8FA9-FAA4D5E2EDBC.jpeg 0C65162F-DA06-4586-AD3C-762E1C26E5A1.jpeg 75FFDAD1-105D-4E23-A02D-221AD89B603C.png A8058524-8C2D-4867-B075-0A72D89F1143.jpeg

Ok, here are a few such pieces which I have : hopefully y’all will get a chuckle out of this.

1) the green jadeite bangle. During my education about jadeite, one is bound to make mistakes when purchasing online. After all, jadeite is one of the hardest gems to assess. It takes a lot of experience and hands on observation, weighing many factors which contribute to valuation. I’m upset that I WAY overpaid for this...over $3,500. It is very translucent in the light, but it has a coarse grain and less blue than was depicted. A BAD BUY for the price! I am reminded of my mistake every time I see it now.

2) paid over $1,500 for this ‘fake’ Persian turquoise necklace. Returned and refunded IMMEDIATELY. Dyed howlite.

3) vintage jadeite bangle. I thought I could enjoy this, but it’s a huge diameter, which means that I have fear of slipping off. I have to wear it over a sweater. Plus, the clasp sometimes opens. I wanted to have a new clasp put on, but considering the size, it’s wasted money. Also, it’s no longer a loved piece.

4) images 4 and 8, Peruvian gold filigree peacock earrings. I love the look and the workmanship, but I hadn’t considered how heavy they would be! Last picture shows the expression of pain of wearing! Just can’t let these go though.

5) this 24k gold heart just isn’t ‘me’, though I love pure gold. I think hearts don’t do much for me. At least, not THIS heart.

6) original wedding band. I actually paid a good amount for this at a well known local, artist jeweler with a following. I just don’t like the diamonds. I used to, given that I’m not a diamond girl, and I like some flaws. At the time, I thought it was cool..but I just can’t bring myself to wear it since an upgrade. Will just hold onto it, but sometimes The diamonds actually hurt my eyes! I know it was a conscious part of the ‘look’, but I’m not into it anymore.

7) Panamanian ‘Mosquetta’ brooch. Love this but it’s painfully scratchy to wear.

8) Vintage nephrite jade grape ring....I had a sense of humor when I bought it, still love it for that, but I rarely wear it. Humor and jewelry I learned, are not a combination which I reach for often , lol! When I’m in ‘that mood’ Is when I’ll wear it.

Last edited:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
A few years ago, my husband got me this pretty, pale and very sparkly chrysoberyl for a gift, one of the first loose stones I ever received. It arrived and I loved the color. Also, it has this fine silk that makes it glow. But... It had an irritating window. Undeterred, I had it recut by Gem Art Services. It came back looking even more beautiful!

Time to set it, I picked a ring in rose gold (bad choice given how light the stone is). Then, I paid more than the stone & recut to my mom's jeweler to have it set. I had no clue what it should cost for it to be set. When I picked it up, it was AWFUL. It was like my stone died inside the setting. The rose gold head showed through the stone, making it look brown. And the sparkle was completely gone.

The happy ending is that I decided to try setting my own stones and bought a replacement stone for the setting. When I took out my chrysoberyl I found that the jeweler had set it into the prongs with some type of glue, which had drizzled all down the back of the stone- killing the light return abilities. I cleaned up the stone, removed all the glue, removed the high polish from the metal on the head, and put the stone back in. So I like it more now, but hated it for years.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years ago, my husband got me this pretty, pale and very sparkly chrysoberyl for a gift, one of the first loose stones I ever received. It arrived and I loved the color. Also, it has this fine silk that makes it glow. But... It had an irritating window. Undeterred, I had it recut by Gem Art Services. It came back looking even more beautiful!

Time to set it, I picked a ring in rose gold (bad choice given how light the stone is). Then, I paid more than the stone & recut to my mom's jeweler to have it set. I had no clue what it should cost for it to be set. When I picked it up, it was AWFUL. It was like my stone died inside the setting. The rose gold head showed through the stone, making it look brown. And the sparkle was completely gone.

The happy ending is that I decided to try setting my own stones and bought a replacement stone for the setting. When I took out my chrysoberyl I found that the jeweler had set it into the prongs with some type of glue, which had drizzled all down the back of the stone- killing the light return abilities. I cleaned up the stone, removed all the glue, removed the high polish from the metal on the head, and put the stone back in. So I like it more now, but hated it for years.
I’m so glad that there was a happy ending to this! Sounds like it was a lot of work to rectify things!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'd love to see the photos of the makeover chryso ring, please, if you have them? I'm glad you took it apart and fixed it right!

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
86A49003-FB75-4354-835F-B39CC5ABFA6E.jpeg D8C50546-1EC8-4623-8492-A719093730A5.jpeg 2043CB10-12FF-410C-A303-268042AB297D.jpeg B5BECC0A-051D-4A85-B9B6-74CF4249C713.jpeg 578DAC26-7849-4EBC-A494-96BB5F2A3CB6.jpeg DDEE62F0-5181-4A34-8FA9-FAA4D5E2EDBC.jpeg 0C65162F-DA06-4586-AD3C-762E1C26E5A1.jpeg 75FFDAD1-105D-4E23-A02D-221AD89B603C.png A8058524-8C2D-4867-B075-0A72D89F1143.jpeg

Ok, here are a few such pieces which I have : hopefully y’all will get a chuckle out of this.

1) the green jadeite bangle. During my education about jadeite, one is bound to make mistakes when purchasing online. After all, jadeite is one of the hardest gems to assess. It takes a lot of experience and hands on observation, weighing many factors which contribute to valuation. I’m upset that I WAY overpaid for this...over $3,500. It is very translucent in the light, but it has a coarse grain and less blue than was depicted. A BAD BUY for the price! I am reminded of my mistake every time I see it now.

2) paid over $1,500 for this ‘fake’ Persian turquoise necklace. Returned and refunded IMMEDIATELY. Dyed howlite.

3) vintage jadeite bangle. I thought I could enjoy this, but it’s a huge diameter, which means that I have fear of slipping off. I have to wear it over a sweater. Plus, the clasp sometimes opens. I wanted to have a new clasp put on, but considering the size, it’s wasted money. Also, it’s no longer a loved piece.

4) images 4 and 8, Peruvian gold filigree peacock earrings. I love the look and the workmanship, but I hadn’t considered how heavy they would be! Last picture shows the expression of pain of wearing! Just can’t let these go though.

5) this 24k gold heart just isn’t ‘me’, though I love pure gold. I think hearts don’t do much for me. At least, not THIS heart.

6) original wedding band. I actually paid a good amount for this at a well known local, artist jeweler with a following. I just don’t like the diamonds. I used to, given that I’m not a diamond girl, and I like some flaws. At the time, I thought it was cool..but I just can’t bring myself to wear it since an upgrade. Will just hold onto it, but sometimes The diamonds actually hurt my eyes! I know it was a conscious part of the ‘look’, but I’m not into it anymore.

7) Panamanian ‘Mosquetta’ brooch. Love this but it’s painfully scratchy to wear.

8) Vintage nephrite jade grape ring....I had a sense of humor when I bought it, still love it for that, but I rarely wear it. Humor and jewelry I learned, are not a combination which I reach for often , lol! When I’m in ‘that mood’ Is when I’ll wear it.

I love your jade grapes. I saw a nephrite and mineral variety fruit salad charm necklace at a vintage shop once, but by the time I had interests in jades it was long gone. They have a steep learning curve, I don't even want to know the sum of my jade return shipping charges. Your bangles are all really pretty!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your jade grapes. I saw a nephrite and mineral variety fruit salad charm necklace at a vintage shop once, but by the time I had interests in jades it was long gone. They have a steep learning curve, I don't even want to know the sum of my jade return shipping charges. Your bangles are all really pretty!
Thank you! The jade grapes are a lot of fun. They really are....i just wear this about once a year. But when I need a smile, it does give me one. Remindes me of the fun, free spirit of past decades.

Thanks for the compliments on the bangles! I collected quite a few in that period, two or three which have remained favorites. Others are middle, and these 2 I wear the least. It is a steep learning curve! do like the pure green one, just not for the price. I would love it more had a paid 1/3rd of the price. I didn’t return it because it was a bank wire situation, and it took too long before I could see that I overpaid. The other one is fine other than the size. You see, I used to stack bangles, so it worked at the back of the stack. But now I dont and it’s annoying to wear by itself.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze I didn't think to take any of the bad setting before taking it apart. But I do have a before and after of the recut (not so great, but you can see the window and how well it was fixed), and one from just now after fixing it. It really is very pretty now.
20180617_134536.jpg 20180617_134412.jpg
It looks great now! Such a lovely crysoberyl!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was supposed to be my forever upgrade. It lasted about 5 months before I admitted to myself that I am not a pear girl. Now I have a loose 1.55ct E colored pear and a platinum setting with no stone sitting in my jewelry box.

This was a VERY expensive and painful lesson to learn.

056ED248-5585-4F9A-AA7C-3D4686F65E5B.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was supposed to be my forever upgrade. It lasted about 5 months before I admitted to myself that I am not a pear girl. Now I have a loose 1.55ct E colored pear and a platinum setting with no stone sitting in my jewelry box.

It’s a beautiful ring, but I totally understand why it’s not working if your not a pear girl. Ah, we can live learn, and hopefully laugh a little!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ohsomethingshiny, I don't like pear shapes either, at least in rings. I tend to poke myself with rings with sharp edges because I'm a complete klutz, lol! It is a beautiful ring, though :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @Bluegemz I ADORE that grape ring!!!!!! Lol if you met me in real life you'd see why that grape ring is right up my alley!

This sapphire! I wanted a sapphire and I felt it had to be blue completely disregarding my ambivalence towards blue in general. I tried to wear it for a few years until I finally gave up! hehe it made a nice gift for my little sister who LOVES blue and wears a tonne of blue! Plus I look like a loving, generous big Sis :lol:

She wore it yesterday and I think to work today as well! She's always wearing it!

20180307_112118.jpg

In contrast now that I have "grown up" a bit more gem wise, this was a MUCH more suitable blue for me and gets soooooo much love!

20180523_100720.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @Bluegemz I ADORE that grape ring!!!!!! Lol if you met me in real life you'd see why that grape ring is right up my alley!

This sapphire! I wanted a sapphire and I felt it had to be blue completely disregarding my ambivalence towards blue in general. I tried to wear it for a few years until I finally gave up! hehe it made a nice gift for my little sister who LOVES blue and wears a tonne of blue! Plus I look like a loving, generous big Sis :lol:

She wore it yesterday and I think to work today as well! She's always wearing it!

20180307_112118.jpg

In contrast now that I have "grown up" a bit more gem wise, this was a MUCH more suitable blue for me and gets soooooo much love!

20180523_100720.jpg
Awe, thanks!

I love that marquis sapphire ring! So nice that you gave it to your little sister. I must admit, I like the other one very much. Looks great on you.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@ohsomethingshiny I am a pear person, and I think the setting overwhelms your pear. Maybe a setting like this might be more appealing, and your beautiful pear could be rescued from its oblivion? :cry2: :dance:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-cut-platinum-diamond-engagement-ring.203978/

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECF17AC9-D6B0-4173-A7E9-BFE82253AED5.jpeg
The two tone sapphire ring on the right.
I think I mentioned this rings story before?
Anyway, I saved years and years of pocket money, birthday and Christmas money, part time job money to have a big OS holiday with my bestest girlfriend when we finished year 12 (that’s the end of high school before uni).
Anyhow, we had a massive falling out and the trip never happened.
Shortly thereafter I walked into a very flash jewellers in The city and in a fit of madness and recklessness bought this sapphire ring.
I spent thousands on it.
I took it home and feeling guilty and totally shocked I hid it away from everyone for a few months. When I did finally wear it my Mother saw it and literally hit the roof. Whoa. Like a got a smack even (at 18 too)!
So, I never really like it and have only ever worn it a few times.
That was nearly 40 years ago -OMG.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyway, I saved years and years of pocket money, birthday and Christmas money, part time job money to have a big OS holiday with my bestest girlfriend when we finished year 12 (that’s the end of high school before uni).
Shortly thereafter I walked into a very flash jewellers in The city and in a fit of madness and recklessness bought this sapphire ring.
I spent thousands on it.
I took it home and feeling guilty and totally shocked I hid it away from everyone for a few months. When I did finally wear it my Mother saw it and literally hit the roof. Whoa. Like a got a smack even (at 18 too)!

What a story! It’s a beautiful ring regardless! I wonder if you wore it over and over and over again if the feelings would go away and you could enjoy it for what it is. Once you got over the hump of the icky feelings it might be a whole new ring for you.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I spent thousands on it.

Wow that’s a lot of emotional baggage for a little ring. Will you wear it if you reset? Or does it make sense to sell it off to someone who will love it more and you can kinda send away the bad memories?

Either way sending you hugs as it still sounds upsetting 40 years on.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess it’s because I’m used to the glow of copper-bearing one’s that even if crystal, the lagoon blue green tourmalines doesn’t do it for me....although this one is a matter of preference. Stone is 5.90 carats.

B3B725D2-51D1-4E78-BF56-F13B5F9D7049.jpeg 457F8C1B-6BB4-4F20-8BB8-007CAED2F07A.jpeg

Attachments

• E8D0D7BF-14C2-4654-82A2-AED79E95C128.jpeg
    E8D0D7BF-14C2-4654-82A2-AED79E95C128.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 12

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BAB9DFEC-08B5-41FB-9224-9E5468D7C93D.jpeg 0A011414-B134-46EA-92DB-A4542AAD6E07.jpeg This is a fun thread Bluegemz! Thanks!

I bought the scarab bracelet as a treat to myself when I was working three part-time jobs the summer between my college sophomore and junior years. My reasons for not reaching for it are pure snobbery. It’s gold plated, not gold. I couldn’t afford the 14k bracelet. I settled. Anyway, no one knows but me and now everyone on PS. I’m going to make a point to wear it again this fall. The second piece is my insanely heavy sugilite pendant. It literally gives me a neck ache when I wear it. I begged for it too. It was almost $300 15 years ago! I know it’s not Barry Bridgestock quality, but it’s huge.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess it’s because I’m used to the glow of copper-bearing one’s that even if crystal, the lagoon blue green tourmalines doesn’t do it for me....although this one is a matter of preference. Stone is 5.90 carats.

B3B725D2-51D1-4E78-BF56-F13B5F9D7049.jpeg 457F8C1B-6BB4-4F20-8BB8-007CAED2F07A.jpeg
Seaglow, is the stone on the left a stone within a stone? I see gold and two different colors there.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love your peacocks, but Harvey jewelry is uncomfortable. I hate it that you were sold dyed howlite. I actually like natural howlite with the white body and pretty gray veining.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze I didn't think to take any of the bad setting before taking it apart. But I do have a before and after of the recut (not so great, but you can see the window and how well it was fixed), and one from just now after fixing it. It really is very pretty now.
20180617_134536.jpg 20180617_134412.jpg
The end result is lovely! I cannot believe the jeweler used runny glue!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I spent thousands on it.
Oh my, please enjoy your beautiful ring!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seaglow, is the stone on the left a stone within a stone? I see gold and two different colors there.

Yes, it’s a sapphire within sapphire. The outer stone was carved in the middle and the middle stone is bezel set and placed inside to fit. Someone used to do this to some sapphires before. I guess before those light colored ones really took off in price.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s a lovely ring, but I know a lot of people gravitate towards certain cuts.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s a sapphire within sapphire. The outer stone was carved in the middle and the middle stone is bezel set and placed inside to fit. Someone used to do this to some sapphires before. I guess before those light colored ones really took off in price.
Very cool!!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BAB9DFEC-08B5-41FB-9224-9E5468D7C93D.jpeg 0A011414-B134-46EA-92DB-A4542AAD6E07.jpeg This is a fun thread Bluegemz! Thanks!

I bought the scarab bracelet as a treat to myself when I was working three part-time jobs the summer between my college sophomore and junior years. My reasons for not reaching for it are pure snobbery. It’s gold plated, not gold. I couldn’t afford the 14k bracelet. I settled. Anyway, no one knows but me and now everyone on PS. I’m going to make a point to wear it again this fall. The second piece is my insanely heavy sugilite pendant. It literally gives me a neck ache when I wear it. I begged for it too. It was almost $300 15 years ago! I know it’s not Barry Bridgestock quality, but it’s huge.

I have a bracelet just like that given to me by some family member. I know nothing about it. Now I’m curious as to what I have. I’ll have to see if it’s gold or not.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Those are nice scarab stones! I can see them either in oxidized silver or in purer gold with matte finish. Gives a feeling of antiquity,

Last edited:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I looked at mine and it’s clearly gold plated. What exactly is a scarab bracelet? I figured it wasn’t worth much but now I’m curious about this type of bracelet and stones. Should I be liking it more than I do? :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results