shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem experts/knowledgeable people

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

I <3 Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could offer opions of the quality of this stone...
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-2113425572

I was reading through old threads and someone recommended this site for purchasing gems.
How do the specs sound?? I don''t know too much about what equals good quality for gems.

I''m thinking about purchasing a gem separately and getting it set in a halo/diamond band.

Care to enlighten me?
5.gif

Thanks!

path914

Rough_Rock

The stone looks nice and $3-$4 per carat is certainly reasonable for a nice blue topaz, however you have to factor in the cost of shipping from Thailand which makes it less of a deal for this stone. Frankly, blue topaz is pretty easy to come by and should be very inexpensive. Your cost of centerstone to setting would be extremely out of proportion in this case ($30 for the topaz, $500+ for a diamond halo setting), not that it really matters if you like it, just something to consider.

If you have a price range and/or color of stone preferred, I''m sure you will get many suggestions for gemstones and settings.

Paul, GJG (GIA)
www.dercodiamonds.com

bjpayne

Rough_Rock
I will have to second what Paul has said about the shipping cost - I think it is something like $20 for reasonably quick shipping from this site, effectively doubling your cost for the stone. The quality of the piece looks just fine, so this is just something additional to consider.

Brad

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
It is interesting, nice, but not uncommon. A gem shop or even online could find you a nice one without shipping it from Thailand. Personally, I think there is some color discrepancies in the stone, and looks like the color is a bit uneven. It is a good size stone, yes, but I think you may find that it is not quite the "ideal" type. But I personally think that you are going to get what you pay for in this stone. I have seen GOOD quality topaz that I would not mind spending a bit for.. but I would only spend 30.00 for this stone, and honestly, I would probably pass it up... But that is just my .02.

I would look around. There is nothing NOTHING wrong with putting a halo arounda topaz... I beleive Sophie posted a picture of a halo setting around a topaz that was just stunning!!!!

Do you want a pear? Or are you just looking for a larger topaz?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi I<3 Diamonds.

I can''t comment on the quality of the topaz from the picture, but I think Brad has a good point about the shipping costs. It will cost you $20 to ship, but what if you don''t like the stone and want to return it? That''s another $20 back to Thailand (check out the return policy). You''ve potentially spent $40 to ship/return a $30 stone.

So your possible outcomes are:

1. You love the stone and it cost $50.
2. You hate the stone, ship it back to Thailand, it is received, and you are credited for your purchase. Loss of around $10.
3. You hate the stone, ship it back to Thailand, and it never arrives. Loss of around $70 (before insurance compensation).
4. You hate the stone, but decide to keep it anyway. Cost $50.

This may be worth the gamble because we are not talking huge money. You are smart to try to get opinions before buying. Here is a link for a "Buyer''s Guide" from PalaGems - scroll down to the part by Richard Hughes. This might help you discern whether this stone is what you want.

http://www.palagems.com/topaz_buyers_guide.htm#buying_guide

I <3 Diamonds

Rough_Rock
"Do you want a pear? Or are you just looking for a larger topaz?" -Mine

Pears have always appealed to me. I''ve also thought about an oval. It''s not even that I''m looking for a topaz in particular. It''s more that I really love that color blue (my fav. color)...I would definitely be open to buying a different kind of stone, just not aquamarine. I have a few rings with aquas and I love them, but I want something with more saturation. I''m looking to stay in the 4+ carat range and am willing to pay a bit more. I don''t have my heart set on topaz.

Alexis, thanks for the pic. It''s a beautiful ring. Did you buy the stone separately or as a total package? I love the blue with diamonds.

Starryeyed, thanks for the link. I''ll have to check that out.

Path914 and BJPayne, thanks for the input. Any suggestions on other blue stones or sites to look at? I''m definitely going to shop around a bit before I buy.

Thanks everyone!

path914

Rough_Rock
Well depending on price range you want, there are a number of blue gemstones that may meet your needs. Blue Topaz, Spinel, Sapphire, Tourmaline, Zircon, etc...

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I bought the ring as a whole. It was just better that way (instant gratification)
emsmile.gif
If you are looking for a blue with more saturation than I would look into blue zircon. I love mine and its got great color. Otherwise sapphires are a good bet. A little more expensive but they have a great color to them...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results