shape
carat
color
clarity

Gastric Sleeve

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok to be complete, because my insurance doesn’t pay for this, I had to buy a surplus lines (I guess that is what it is) insurance policy that covers complications for 90 days post surgery. It’s called Bliscare Insurance and is $1050.00 for the sleeve. Slightly more for bypass but not a lot more. image.jpg

Well worth it! Where are you that insurance doesn't cover it?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I totally hadn't read the most recent posts and didn't realize everything was a go! I assumed these were considered elective and shut down, too. I'm so excited for you! It's funny because I just was thinking about you this morning and had a few more questions, but I'll hold them until after since you don't need any more stress. Congratulations, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well worth it! Where are you that insurance doesn't cover it?

WLS is a rider like maternity or cancer coverage. Dh’s office doesn’t cover the rider. It’s the same as cosmetic surgery— self pay.

Which isn’t all bad as I don’t have to follow some of the (stringent) requirements of insurance.

Basically, once I made the decision, I got in line, and would have gotten it sooner if it wasn’t for the shutdown. I have enjoyed that freedom compared to some of the things I read about what you have to do for insurance to cover it.

I don’t know why DH’s office doesn’t have that rider. My guess is it’s too expensive.

I am in the US.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@whitewave good luck! I am 5 years post-sleeve and also work as an RN in bariatric surgeries so I know this procedure forwards and backwards! Best decision I ever made for myself. I'm sure all will go well, and I'm happy to answer questions for you ,too, now or later. Excited for you!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WLS is a rider like maternity or cancer coverage. Dh’s office doesn’t cover the rider. It’s the same as cosmetic surgery— self pay.

Which isn’t all bad as I don’t have to follow some of the (stringent) requirements of insurance.

Basically, once I made the decision, I got in line, and would have gotten it sooner if it wasn’t for the shutdown. I have enjoyed that freedom compared to some of the things I read about what you have to do for insurance to cover it.

I don’t know why DH’s office doesn’t have that rider. My guess is it’s too expensive.

I am in the US.

Oh wow! It's nutty to me how different our insurance can be, but that's the US for you! Do you know what your med regimen will be after surgery? That's the one thing I wasn't expecting and seems to be very different surgeon to surgeon.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE oh so good to know! I’m ready for it now. I’ll put my starting weight when I lose 50 pounds lol. I’m shooting for 100 pound weight loss. Maybe 110. I don’t really have any questions right now, but if I do, I’ll be sure to tag you and @Asscherhalo_lover

I have to do my coronavirus test at the hospital in about 45 mins— yesterday was too soon. Then I have to quarantine myself away from everyone else and do a liquid diet this weekend.

I’ll be the first of 8 surgeries my doc is doing on Monday, so will have to be there bright and early.

@Begonia thank you!

@Asscherhalo_lover i don’t really know what my post regimen is for meds. Do you mean vitamins?

All I know is I can’t take my adderall (I have bad ADD) starting today and for the next 6 weeks, and I also can’t take my Breo (I have asthma). Both could affect wound healing and I also have to protect the suture line. Surgery morning, I have to take my beta blocker and that is the only drug I will take Monday.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE oh so good to know! I’m ready for it now. I’ll put my starting weight when I lose 50 pounds lol. I’m shooting for 100 pound weight loss. Maybe 110. I don’t really have any questions right now, but if I do, I’ll be sure to tag you and @Asscherhalo_lover

I have to do my coronavirus test at the hospital in about 45 mins— yesterday was too soon. Then I have to quarantine myself away from everyone else and do a liquid diet this weekend.

I’ll be the first of 8 surgeries my doc is doing on Monday, so will have to be there bright and early.

@Begonia thank you!

@Asscherhalo_lover i don’t really know what my post regimen is for meds. Do you mean vitamins?

All I know is I can’t take my adderall (I have bad ADD) starting today and for the next 6 weeks, and I also can’t take my Breo (I have asthma). Both could affect wound healing and I also have to protect the suture line. Surgery morning, I have to take my beta blocker and that is the only drug I will take Monday.

Post surgery I was on blood thinner injections for two weeks, carafate to coat my stomach for one month, and an acid controller for one year. After a year I stopped the acid controller. It took a few weeks for me to adjust but I've been relatively heartburn free ever since (I had a hiatal hernia repair as well).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I guess I’ll find out more on Monday. I had an EGD in February and didn’t have a hiatal hernia then so I guess I’m ok,

I am double presumptive negative for Covid and antibodies, so surgery is good to go.

I have to be there at 5:30 am Monday.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I slept deeply last night and had crazy dreams. I found out it is completely normal to be super emotional before this surgery, so at least I know I’m not having a mental breakdown. :eek2:

@Asscherhalo_lover or anyone else who had to do the clear diet, hit me up with ideas. On my own, I did a low calorie mostly protein shake diet last week (probably also added to emotions) which I’m sure is in the end good, but today I woke up RAVENOUS.

I’m drinking a large mug of chicken broth. DH will be coming home soon from the city, so I asked him to go to the local high end grocery by our house and look for tasty and filling things there to bring home.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, sending lots of fairy dust your way.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@whitewave thinking of you for tomorrow! All the best for a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DAF thank you!

@OdetteOdile thank you

I made it through and am about to go to bed. They will have me walking within one hour after surgery.

I’ll update when DH brings my bags up to my room.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More dust your way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you and sending continued good luck dust your way @whitewave!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hot damn!
You made it through, and this will help you get where you need to go.
You can do this.
;))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of healing dust and thinking of you Whitewave.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. I’m home! Im using a pillow to protect my stomach from my dogs, lol.

No nausea or vomiting, just still a tiny bit of trapped gas here and there. Minimal pain.

Doc said don’t weigh today or tomorrow lol since I’m pumped up with Iv fluids.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all. I’m home! Im using a pillow to protect my stomach from my dogs, lol.

No nausea or vomiting, just still a tiny bit of trapped gas here and there. Minimal pain.

Doc said don’t weigh today or tomorrow lol since I’m pumped up with Iv fluids.

Glad to hear you are well!!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! Sounds like smooth sailing so far. So happy for you that things went well. Looking forward to hearing more later, and I hope you continue to do well as you heal.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Sounds like smooth sailing so far. So happy for you that things went well. Looking forward to hearing more later, and I hope you continue to do well as you heal.

I’m doing great. I’ll probably go to the grocery tomorrow to get some boxed instant mashed potatoes. Im on phase II full liquids which includes egg drop soup, hummus and instant mashed potatoes along with all the other things like sf jello and puddings and protein shakes.

I’m in zero pain and just some like post c section incision pain. I can’t bend over, so my daughter had to put my sneakers on me today.

The only thing I don’t like is I have to take heparin shots in my belly because of my family history of blood clots. Not horrific but not fun either,

Other than that, yes, smooth sailing. Fingers crossed...

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing news Whitewave! Thanks for the update!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the successful surgery and no post op complications. Take it easy and let everything heal. We are following your journey and saying prayers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave checking in to see how you are doing...hoping you are feeling well and still experiencing zero pain and are resting and healing. Continued well wishes being sent your way. And I hope your son is improving too and feeling much better.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I woke up with hives (welts sp?) all over my body this morning so I just took an anti histamine. Not sure what that is about.

DH said some people react to the industrial detergent in the hospital sheets, so I hope that’s it, but would it be a delayed response?

I’m going to google this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I woke up with hives (welts sp?) all over my body this morning so I just took an anti histamine. Not sure what that is about.

DH said some people react to the industrial detergent in the hospital sheets, so I hope that’s it, but would it be a delayed response?

I’m going to google this.

That makes sense. Hopefully the antihistamine will quiet the hives. I get them often. But to be sure perhaps call your surgeon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results