shape
carat
color
clarity

*GASP* Im going to set a stone?!?!? Opinions please :-)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am going to set my mahenge heart spinel in a lan.bo4 setting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

He is going to put a 5.5x5 heart V tip head in it for me. I am going to keep the bands white gold, but heres the kicker...should I do the head in rose gold? IMO the white gold prongs might over contrast the pink. I HATE obvious prongs. I am thinking rose gold might blend and compliment a little better, while still having the icy contrast between the bands, diamonds and the bright pink stone.

Wuddya think?

mahenge11ksps2.jpg

1flowerstoneksps1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockHugger said:
I am going to set my mahenge heart spinel in a lan.bo4 setting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

He is going to put a 5.5x5 heart V tip head in it for me. I am going to keep the bands white gold, but heres the kicker...should I do the head in rose gold? IMO the white gold prongs might over contrast the pink. I HATE obvious prongs. I am thinking rose gold might blend and compliment a little better, while still having the icy contrast between the bands, diamonds and the bright pink stone.

Wuddya think?

RH,
Their rose gold is too coppery for that very pretty pink color. I wouldn't do rose gold at all. I think white gold or yellow gold would be better options. If your stone has orange in it, perhaps high karat yellow gold, but it doesn't appear to be an orangey pink.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, no orange at all. Mostly pink with a hint of red. Hmm. Ok. You dont think the white gold prongs would stick out too much?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my hot pink tourmaline, okay, not a Mahenge, but it gives you an idea. I love it in white gold. If your stone is not as much of a hot pink, I might do a yellow gold.

TLpinktourmalineneon2.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would do yellow gold prongs because I think I would like to warm up that pink a bit, and it might be less contrast than white. Up to you though. I think either would be nice.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Not all rose gold is created equal. I love the idea, actually went with 18k rose gold bezels on my JKT spinel and demantoid ring, but I'm not sure how lan.bo4's rose gold looks. If it's too copper pennyish looking I don't think it would look all that great. If it's a soft pink then I'd say go for it. I don't have any lan.bo rose gold to compare though. Can hardly wait to see your cute 'lil spinel set. :mrgreen:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have one lan.b04 piece and it has rose gold. Like LOGR, it is very coppery.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to have a better idea, get a penny (I think that's what the rose coloured coin is called in the UK) to see how the coppery rose gold would look. Personally I'm not a fan with pink/red stones with rose gold unless they're a pale pink. For a stronger pink/red, I would go for white or yellow. The ring set is so classy that I'd be tempted not to mess around and simply go for white gold BUT make sure the V prong was slim. Some of LOGR prongs are big so I'd get Stephan to slim them down.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
No rose!

White gold please. :cheeky:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful color!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see! The setting is very classy, and I cast my vote for all white. Please keep us updated!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think white or yellow would both look good. I also prefer paler pinks in rose gold, and I think the stone is too strong for rose gold.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Hey RH, it just occurred to me that I have both a pink heart spinel from Tan and an empty LOGR rose gold setting. :geek:

Here they are together, hope it helps!

2010-07-10_008.JPG

2010-07-10_012.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brandy,
Thanks for the photos. I don't know what RH thinks, but the copper metal and the bright saturated pink of the Mahenge don't do much for each other in my opinion. :knockout: I have that same exact setting in rose gold, and I did set a lavender spinel in it, and I think that color combo goes much better.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very nice, brandy - how neat that you had that combo on hand to show RH. ::)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for that picture brandy. I did my own photoshopping to get an idea on how it will look. I used your picture as your stones color is pretty close to mine. (mine has a tick more red, but pretty dang close!)
So here is what it would look in my setting. Imagine the V tip on the rose gold one. I couldnt 'make' a V tip that matched the rose gold color.

I dunno, im kinda digging the rose head...the white gold head looks too obviously "prongy" to me.

ringrosegoldksps.jpg

ringwhiteksps.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RH,
If you don't like the contrast of bright white prongs against the spinel, you could opt to leave them unplated after your jeweler finishes up setting them. That's what I did with the ring I posted above. The prongs are slightly dullish because I didn't have them re-rhodium plate them. You could also use yellow gold prongs and v-tip. I think that combination with a white shank would be very elegant looking. I think the stone looks more refined against white gold then the coppery rose gold.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL- here is the stone with 'yellow gold' prings.

ringyellowksps.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oops, here is the same picture. prongs arnt very visable on the last one.

ringyellowksps.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think yellow or white gold are equally fine. If the stone had orange in it, I would definitely go with yellow prongs.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm changing my mind...if your photoshops are true to life, I like the rose gold prongs too. I have a pink tourmaline set in rose gold, not quite as intense as your pink, but they look good together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results