shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets or rubies? Citrine or yellow diamonds? Birthstone stacking rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have been searching for ages for just the right piece (or pieces) of "mom" jewelry to represent my four kids. I''ve fallen in love with the Singlestone eternity bands-the ones with the alternating round diamonds and colored stones that are each set in a filigreed bezel. Lucky for me, two of my kids have April b-days so their birthstones are diamonds. The other two are November which is garnet, and January which is citrine or topaz. I''d like to wear the four bands stacked on my right hand sometimes and maybe sometimes with my ering-one, two, three or four at a time.

So the question is whether I should go with the ready made SS band which alternates rubies and diamonds or have one custom made with garnets and diamonds. Is such a thing even possible? Would it be hard to find the small stones? Similar question with regard to the November b-day: ready made with white and yellow diamonds or custom with citrines/topaz?

What do you guys think? Sentimentality or easy/practicality?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sentimentality! The small stones are not a problem for jewellers.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you! My two kids are May and July, so I would need ruby and emerald, two of the most expensive color stones, in order to make a mother''s ring!

I vote for getting one stone for each kid and put them in one band. What''s your own birth stone? It should be in the middle, so you have five stones to balance it.

I was quite tempted by Lot # 2025 on this liquidation sale. But that means I need to switch the sapphire with my own b-stone - citrine or topaz.

Date: 3/16/2009 10:53:25 PM
Author:Gayletmom
Lucky for me, two of my kids have April b-days so their birthstones are diamonds. The other two are November which is garnet, and January which is citrine or topaz.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don''t think neither garnets (if we''re talking pyrope red ones) nor citrines are worthy of custom work in such small sizes, as you''d be mostly paying for the jewellers work in that case. So I''d either get some nice ready made ones, or get some custom made in rubies/topazes. But as Yingh said, you can set them all in one ring with no problems by adding your birthstone (which is...?).

Yingh, you don''t have a problem at all - just get a really fine alexandrite
9.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
So one vote for sentimentality and two for practicality. I really like the idea of several stacking bands and the SS one is beautiful. I didn''t describe it right the first time, each stone is set in a milligrained bezel. I''m trying to post a pic or a link. I can''t get the pic to load, can anyone help?

http://www.singlestone.com/site.php?page=collections&catID=9&pID=180&startRow=1.

I''m thinking several bands that I can collect over a few years for all of our birthstones. Two diamonds in platinum, one alternating ruby/garnet and diamond in YG, one alternating yellow citrine/sapphires and diamonds in YG, and then one each for me and dh (sapphires in platinum, emeralds in YG). The bands would give me lots of combinations and I could wear them alone or with my ering. Also, I can give to each of the children when they are grown if I want.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love that my daughters birthstone is garnet.

All your options sound nice but I don''t know if citrine would hold up as well as the others if it was worn a often.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m trying again to post a photo:

ssbezel919.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That''s so pretty.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think so too, Kitten. On the SS website they show this one and a similar eternity band with rubies in a stack with some hammered, 18k yg round bands and a diamond eternity. Scrumptious!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Those are really pretty! The yellow diamonds would probably have most impact in that size. Have you asked SS? They make/commission some of those bands.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does my lone vote for sentimentality make me a sap?
9.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet, I say "heartfelt", how''s that? I''m thinking the same thing. It would be so much easier to go with the ready made ones but I really want it to be about everyone''s birthstone. What am I supposed to say "well, your birthstone is really a citrine or topaz but I liked the yellow sapphire better". It just doesn''t seem right. I''m guessing that I can find small, red garnets and have SS do it. What do you think about citrine/topaz? Which one and are they available?

Merc, consulting SS is my next step. I would really love to go there as I have read some great posts about the store. They have so many eternities to chooose from (that sounds funny) that I would like to try them all on, choose a style and then, hopefully, coordinate the six rings from there. I would collect them over time once I know exactly what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results