Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet help pleeeease

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
I found a garnet I like..I like it a lot. Bunches. I emailed and asked about extinction/half and half and closing up. It's a really nice size for me and the pictures were taken in the shade and sooo pretty. This is what I heard back about it..

Colours, well, I'd put it as a good medium but still quite bright. It does suffer a little from the usual "oval syndrome" that all ovals suffer from to some degree, with a bit of that half/half extinction depending on tilt. Its just in the nature of the shape. It does seem to close up a little bit, particularly in direct sunlight (but then alot of gems do) however it looks fantastic in outdoor shaded light (eg. under a tree, in the shadow of the house, etc). Under indoor incandescent lights at night, yes it does close up somewhat but it makes up for it with incredible flash and fire. So, yes, expect some darkening under different lighting conditions but overall its just a very pretty little umbalite garnet oval.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't want something that's only pretty at uber specific moments..like the moon is in the 7th house and there's a light 5mph breeze from a north westerly direction and the humidity is 27%...but I know big fat bupkus about garnets and what to expect.

Holp holp!
 

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
632
Hi Packrat,
I have a very, very sneaking suspicion I know which stone you are referring to and it is a beauty! There is one shot where it's electric and breathtaking! I am lusting after it as well, but don't worry, it's from afar.
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do hope someone chimes in. I'm very curious to know about the performance too. Best of luck if you choose to purchase it!
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
Hi Packrat

I bought a cushion cut before and while it was lovely it was half extinct all the time and it drives me nuts. I returned it.
If the vendor has a good return policy it doesn't hurt to view it in person.

I believe Barry's supernova oval always performs well so if you like ovals take a look at those too.
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
Paula, yep, I bet it's the same one! When I saw it I did the oooo :o face.

LG, did your cushion do it no matter what way it was turned? None of the pictures of the oval show it, so maybe it's not something that happens all the time? There is a return policy..I'll have to ask about shipping cost.

I did ask how the cut compares to the supernova and was told the crown facet pattern looks the same but the pavilion is different. I thought about asking Barry about doing one of his cushions in that color.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
packrat|1308878252|2953601 said:
I found a garnet I like..I like it a lot. Bunches. I emailed and asked about extinction/half and half and closing up. It's a really nice size for me and the pictures were taken in the shade and sooo pretty. This is what I heard back about it..

Colours, well, I'd put it as a good medium but still quite bright. It does suffer a little from the usual "oval syndrome" that all ovals suffer from to some degree, with a bit of that half/half extinction depending on tilt. Its just in the nature of the shape. It does seem to close up a little bit, particularly in direct sunlight (but then alot of gems do) however it looks fantastic in outdoor shaded light (eg. under a tree, in the shadow of the house, etc). Under indoor incandescent lights at night, yes it does close up somewhat but it makes up for it with incredible flash and fire. So, yes, expect some darkening under different lighting conditions but overall its just a very pretty little umbalite garnet oval.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't want something that's only pretty at uber specific moments..like the moon is in the 7th house and there's a light 5mph breeze from a north westerly direction and the humidity is 27%...but I know big fat bupkus about garnets and what to expect.

Holp holp!
Packrat,
I'm just a bit confused, as you stated you "like it a lot, bunches," but you don't want something that's "only pretty at uber specific moments." If the latter were true, I probably wouldn't like it that much, but that's me.

Many gems look better when shaded, but you're not going to be in shade all the time. One of the reasons I typically go for lighter toned stones is because extinction drives me nuts. Some people are more tolerant of it though. I cannot bear to see a stone close up in sunlight, and if it does, I send it back. I would probably only keep such a stone if it were very inexpensive and not worth the trouble to return. I have a precision cut $25 rhodolite that is five carats that I will never set. It closes up too much in certain lighting conditions. It looks great in some lighting, and sparkles a lot, but I will never set it, and considering it was only $25, it wasn't worth returning.

You may be more tolerant of extinction, and if it doesn't bother you as much as it does me, and you think it's was a fair/good price, than keep it.
 

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
4,690
how do you ladies know exactly which gem everyone is talking about? i'm baffled and incredibly impressed!! (i have zero idea who the vendor is, let alone the garnet...)
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
Hey TL, I don't have it, I'm just going by the pictures..I love it in the pictures so I emailed and asked what it was like since it's not a supernova. I don't have any experience w/non supernova ovals. None of the pictures show 1/2 and 1/2 or anything so I didn't know if that meant it was more an occasional occurrence. I was just trying to be funny about the uber specific times. When he said "some darkening" and "closes up somewhat" I wondered if that was just typical for a garnet.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
packrat|1308891296|2953793 said:
Hey TL, I don't have it, I'm just going by the pictures..I love it in the pictures so I emailed and asked what it was like since it's not a supernova. I don't have any experience w/non supernova ovals. None of the pictures show 1/2 and 1/2 or anything so I didn't know if that meant it was more an occasional occurrence. I was just trying to be funny about the uber specific times. When he said "some darkening" and "closes up somewhat" I wondered if that was just typical for a garnet.
Oooooh, now I get it. Yes, most reddish family garnets do darken up a bit, but some more than others. What you don't want is one that is overly dark.
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
packrat|1308889351|2953774 said:
Paula, yep, I bet it's the same one! When I saw it I did the oooo :o face.

LG, did your cushion do it no matter what way it was turned? None of the pictures of the oval show it, so maybe it's not something that happens all the time? There is a return policy..I'll have to ask about shipping cost.

I did ask how the cut compares to the supernova and was told the crown facet pattern looks the same but the pavilion is different. I thought about asking Barry about doing one of his cushions in that color.
I think it did, except outside, it's been nearly two years and my memories are hazy. I did remember none of the photos showed the half half effect though.
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
Hm...well. It says it's "a nice and bright, flashy performer"..I don't know if I should link it or not. The shaded pictures it doesn't look dark..so..inside maybe it would be ok?
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Packrat, it sounds like this is a stone you want to see IRL. If the return policy is ok & postage not bank-breaking, go for it. You'll always wonder, if you don't!
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
I'm not sure about shipping costs..vendor isn't in the US so I've no experience. I also found a round from a different vendor..only 1 picture listed, but looks similar to the colors in the vendor photos of the oval. It's smaller, a 6mm round vs 8x6 oval..but the price is less by 1/2.
 

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
1,501
Hi Packie: Sorry, I'm not the expert here, but let me throw in my 2 cents, FWIW :sun:
(I'm talking about "my" garnets, and "my" experience...)

I think Garnets are an acquired taste.
I have grown to really love them.
I do think they tend to look their best in certain lights.
(Kind of like sapphires... again, in my experience)
The only oval shape garnet I have is a Spess....
and it doesn't seem to do any extinction or black out in certain lighting
so it doesn't really count.
so maybe I am not the best judge.

As far as photos.

I have taken a few gem photos ....
As far as photographing my gemstones, I can go to all
kinds of lengths to try to eliminate the half n half and other stuff IN MY PICTURES.
Just shoot the stone from certain angles, in certain lighting, etc.
(I try not to change the colors around, however.
That is my biggest peeve, the colors on the camera are never
as vibrant as I "see" with my own rods n cones 8-) )

I have certain gems that do the half n half dance,
it's NOT something I mind particularly, especially since the
"dark half" is often an acceptable color to me
I will attach a picture of my "worst" offender...
I love this stone and wear this ring ALLLL the time...

So as far as I can say
I think you should get the garnet and judge it for yourself....
Then if the half n half and the black out bothers you, you can return it. :))


Oh, by the way, your YARD IS GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swala Spinel 042 (Large).JPG

Swala Spinel 019 (Large).JPG
 

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
1,501
GAWD !!!!
I just can't seem to keep anything brief, can I ??? :lol:

It is just "possible" that this vendor is being ultra cautious these days....
He's a fantastic guy to deal with, if you haven't already done so...
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
Thanks about the yard Shiney! It's our little refuge I think.

Your lotus is gorgeous!

I think you know the one I'm looking at and it doesn't look real dark in the pictures, so maybe if it does the half and half it wouldn't be too bad..

I did ask how the cut compares to the supernova and he had never cut a nova before so he looked up the design and said the crown is the same but the pavilion is different. I don't know if I should get it anyway and check it out or see if he has rough to cut a supernova.

I did ask the vendor of the small round for IRL photos and how it behaves in different lighting.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
ooo~Shiney!|1308923528|2953940 said:
The only oval shape garnet I have is a Spess....
and it doesn't seem to do any extinction or black out in certain lighting
so it doesn't really count.
I have found that any medium dark to dark toned stone will have extinction issues. It's just the nature of how light behaves. Garnets are a huge group of gems, and there are many different types of garnets, and within each type, there are many different tonalities.

There are spessartites that are very dark in tone, and will go extinct, as will many red family garnets, and green family garnets. I think the only ones that don't have this problem to a large extent are yellow grossulars because they tend to be lighter in tone. However, if you can find a light toned red garnet, that's what I would go for. I always avoid, for myself, any red family garnet described as medium dark or darker.

If you look enough at a wide variety of rhodolites for example (and an umbalite is a marketing name for a type of rhodolite), you will see they all have different tones. The rarer and more expensive ones tend to be lighter in tone, and go towards a purplish pink color. You don't see many of those, but they are very pretty. I would love to have one of those one of these days, but they are rare, more rare than I thought, as I still haven't found one. I don't know what the stone is in Lovinggems avatar, but that's pretty much the ideal color and tone for a red family garnet.

As for ovals, unless it's a certain type of cut, like a supernova, I have found that almost all ovals, marquises and pears tend to have some half/half extinction, or bow ties. I'm sure depth of cut and the size of the cutlet have some bearing on that, but it's just something to live with in ovals. Of course, the lighter the tone, hopefully the half/half extinction will be minimized. I know most people do not like trillions, but I love them and that's because I rarely see much extinction in a well cut trillion. BTW, I do not recommend concave cuts on any red family garnet, as concave cutting tends to make a stone darker than it is.

By the way, I have no idea what garnet you're referring to, but if it's photographed against a dark background, it's impossible to tell the tone of the stone. Dark backgrounds almost always brighten a stone, and make it appear lighter than it truly is.

Well, good luck on your garnet quest! :bigsmile:
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
It's very pretty, interesting it's mauve in the indoor shots and lilac in the outdoor shots. I think my cushion was darker than your stone with a fair amount of brown. Have you asked whether the stone turns to a brownish colour under fluorescent lights? Also I'm guessing it's twenty odd dollars for shipping, return shipping will be $10 to $15. I hope we're talking about the same stone.

TL mentioned my Malaya garnet, it's a dark whiskey colour under fluorescent light. It's not unpleasant but it's not an ideal garnet. :lol:

Btw I love your yard too, so lush and green, great work! :appl:
 

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
632
Gosh TL, I love reading your posts. Your knowledge and way you present it is wonderful.
Packrat, I think you should go for it! In my severely undereducated opinion, it's really pretty!
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
Lovinggems|1308928294|2954000 said:
It's very pretty, interesting it's mauve in the indoor shots and lilac in the outdoor shots. I think my cushion was darker than your stone with a fair amount of brown. Have you asked whether the stone turns to a brownish colour under fluorescent lights? Also I'm guessing it's twenty odd dollars for shipping, return shipping will be $10 to $15. I hope we're talking about the same stone.

TL mentioned my Malaya garnet, it's a dark whiskey colour under fluorescent light. It's not unpleasant but it's not an ideal garnet. :lol:

Btw I love your yard too, so lush and green, great work! :appl:
If it stood that color in all lighting, it probably would be more ideal, but that's another thing to consider with red family garnets, the color shift. Actually most garnets have some sort of color shift to something very different. At least it should be a pleasant color to the owner in various lighting.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
PaulaW|1308930050|2954017 said:
Gosh TL, I love reading your posts. Your knowledge and way you present it is wonderful.
Packrat, I think you should go for it! In my severely undereducated opinion, it's really pretty!
Thanks PaulaW, I try. :))
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
I'll just bite the bullet and cross my fingers nobody steals it until I've made up my mind.

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Garnet.php#image_302

I thought about asking if he had rough to cut a supernova for me. Part of me wonders if I'm spoiled by my supernovas from Michael. I had two little green chrysoberyl ovals from Tan that did the half and half depending on how I was playing with them, but they were so light/bright it didn't bother me in the slightest.

This is the round that I asked for more pics of http://www.clearcutgems.com/garnet/g8.html

Thanks LG about the yard! We've had so much rain lately everything is just huuuuge!

I never thought to ask if it changes to brown..
 

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9,707
Pack - search under my name for Umbalite and you'll see photos of the one I bought from Gene (it's an oval). It's out of this world - yes it has the half/half thing but OMG it has personality! It ranges from deep grape purple to bright pink to red, it has blue flashes and is constantly looking different. It's really pretty and yours is very reminescent for me of mine. I think Gene has (or did have) a picture of it for his garnets but honestly photos don't do it justice. If you can't find a link to mine, scream up and I'll find it for you.

Found the link:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/?hilit=umbalite']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/?hilit=umbalite[/URL]

Thought you might like to see a photo of a 50/50 that actually looks REALLY cool! Well I think so anyway!

Umbalite Garnet 2.71ct 4.jpg
 

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
373
Packrat ~

Ask Shiney how her umbalite pair perform in different lighting. No, they aren't the same cut BUT they are from the same rough.

Regarding the ClearCutGems garnet: I ordered one similar from there. It was much darker IRL than in his photos. I am not saying it is definitive. That was just my experience.

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

~ faegrace
 

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
509
It's a bit of a hijack (well, a lot of a hijack), but I would love an acorn cut from him. Chubby-bottomed cuts are so cute to me.

I hope you find a beautiful garnet to your tastes (I know it's hard with them).
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
LD! Ohh I remember that stone and it's gorgeous! Goh!

You know, maybe it's worth the shipping to at least see it..gah!
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
LovingDiamonds|1308933547|2954079 said:
Pack - search under my name for Umbalite and you'll see photos of the one I bought from Gene (it's an oval). It's out of this world - yes it has the half/half thing but OMG it has personality! It ranges from deep grape purple to bright pink to red, it has blue flashes and is constantly looking different. It's really pretty and yours is very reminescent for me of mine. I think Gene has (or did have) a picture of it for his garnets but honestly photos don't do it justice. If you can't find a link to mine, scream up and I'll find it for you.

Found the link:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/?hilit=umbalite']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/umbalite-garnet-in-new-home.149289/?hilit=umbalite[/URL]

Thought you might like to see a photo of a 50/50 that actually looks REALLY cool! Well I think so anyway!
LD,
I haven't seen material like yours in eons it seems.
 

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
1,501
Agree with TL totally !!!!!
LD, if I had your garnet my camera would be screaming for mercy !!!! :lol:

I LOVE my Umbalite pair, the color is amazing,
and no, they don't have a half n half....
The cut is what is outstanding,
they simply vibrate with color and flash.
They are pretty in all lighting...
I have a thread on those stones, but TBH
it doesn't really matter what the photos
look like, they simply can't approximate the stones IRL
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top