shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet family (large number of pictures and continuously updated)

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Think you mean spessartine - Hessonite is a grossular with a lower RI than Malaya. You can distinguish spessartine and malaya from hessonite by using a Neodym magnet too.

Hessonite = Grossular+Almandine
Malaya= Pyrope+spessartine

The overlapping part of the colors between them is the yellowish Malaya, similar to the yellowish Malaya sample below, which can be distinguished by the refractive index. The refractive index of yellow Malaya is close to Pyrope, and the refractive index of yellow Hessonite is close to Grossular.
Pyrope index of refraction is lower than Grossular index

spessartine has a higher refractive index than Grossular
RI spessartine>Hessonite>Malaya

DSC_8631a.jpg

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Such beautiful examples! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I only started to really appreciate garnets after I had my daughter (and it’s her birthstone) and realized that it’s such a wonderfully colorful stone.

Garnet is very beautiful, hardness is higher than 7, it is worth paying attention to

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hessonite = Grossular+Almandine
Malaya= Pyrope+spessartine

The overlapping part of the colors between them is the yellowish Malaya, similar to the yellowish Malaya sample below, which can be distinguished by the refractive index. The refractive index of yellow Malaya is close to Pyrope, and the refractive index of yellow Hessonite is close to Grossular.
Pyrope index of refraction is lower than Grossular index

spessartine has a higher refractive index than Grossular
RI spessartine>Hessonite>Malaya

DSC_8631a.jpg

Hessonite is a grossular colored by iron and not a mix of grossular and almandine.

Grossular is part of the Ugrandite (Uvarovite/Cr - Goldmanite/V - Andradite/Fe and Grossular/Al).

Almandine part of Pyralspite (Pyrope-Almandine-Spessartine)

RI is Spessartine>Malaya>Hessonite.

Garnets are quite complex and of course the are some extreme mixes possible.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Hessonite is a grossular colored by iron and not a mix of grossular and almandine.

Grossular is part of the Ugrandite (Uvarovite/Cr - Goldmanite/V - Andradite/Fe and Grossular/Al).

Almandine part of Pyralspite (Pyrope-Almandine-Spessartine)

RI is Spessartine>Malaya>Hessonite.

Garnets are quite complex and of course the are some extreme mixes possible.
Just a metaphor, Hessonite's characteristics are between Grossular and Almandine
Malaya characteristics are between Pyrope and spessartine

Last edited:

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
What an incredible collection! And your wealth of knowledge- wow! Thanks for sharing

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just a metaphor, Hessonite's characteristics are between Grossular and Almandine
Malaya characteristics are between Pyrope and spessartine

Hessonite IS a grossular.

Almandine is not part of the chemical composition.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Hessonite IS a grossular.

Almandine is not part of the chemical composition.

Grossular is a calcium-aluminium species of the garnet group of minerals. It has the chemical formula of Ca3Al2(SiO4)3 but the calcium may, in part, be replaced by ferrous iron and the aluminium by ferric iron. when calcium replaced by ferrous iron and the aluminium by ferric iron.
part Ca3Al2(SiO4)3 become to Fe2+3Al2Si3O12( Almandine). that's the reason Hessonite yellow color.pure Grossular is colorless like this sample DSC_4104.jpg DSC_4116a.jpg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Grossular is a calcium-aluminium species of the garnet group of minerals. It has the chemical formula of Ca3Al2(SiO4)3 but the calcium may, in part, be replaced by ferrous iron and the aluminium by ferric iron. when calcium replaced by ferrous iron and the aluminium by ferric iron.
part Ca3Al2(SiO4)3 become to Fe2+3Al2Si3O12( Almandine). that's the reason Hessonite yellow color.pure Grossular is colorless like this sample DSC_4104.jpg DSC_4116a.jpg

Again wrong…

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No problem, we can keep our opinions

Maybe you find someone here who helps you to understand garnet chemistry. It is quite easy compared to tourmaline or feldspar.

And maybe you post link of your source, an article or somewhat.
Would be interesting…

This is a great thread to link for anyone who is new (or not!) to the garnet family, and would like to learn more, especially by seeing examples. It is a wealth of information! Fabulous collection!! And those are the greenest demantoids I've ever seen. It's never been a favorite stone of mine, despite the awesome dispersion, because it can so often be a drab olive color. But those stones are spectacular! :appl:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread to link for anyone who is new (or not!) to the garnet family, and would like to learn more, especially by seeing examples. It is a wealth of information! Fabulous collection!! And those are the greenest demantoids I've ever seen. It's never been a favorite stone of mine, despite the awesome dispersion, because it can so often be a drab olive color. But those stones are spectacular! :appl:
thanks for the reply

The green Russian demantoid does not see dispersion, I share a 2.8ct demantoid from Madagascar that really has the awesome dispersion

DSC_8671.jpg
ae.jpg
ad.jpg ac.jpg aa.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is more garnet inventory than a museum exhibit :shock:o_O:kiss2:

Wow. I just learnt so much. I’ll be digesting for a while. Thank you for sharing!! :love:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
This is more garnet inventory than a museum exhibit :shock:o_O:kiss2:

Wow. I just learnt so much. I’ll be digesting for a while. Thank you for sharing!! :love:

Thanks

poppystar

Rough_Rock
2、Tsavorite

15.jpg
DSC_4499.jpg

Hi @landscape do you have different tsavorites showing the colour difference between Tanzania origin and Kenya origin?
And do you have bluish green vs yellowish-green ones? Actually the tsavorites you showed in these photos look so beautiful, I can’t tell whether they’re bluish green or yellowish-green. They just looks a beautiful green to me

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for the reply

The green Russian demantoid does not see dispersion, I share a 2.8ct demantoid from Madagascar that really has the awesome dispersion

DSC_8671.jpg
ae.jpg
ad.jpg ac.jpg aa.jpg

What do you think of the Madagascar demantoid? The mine owner states they’re very blue in comparison to all other locations.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Hi @landscape do you have different tsavorites showing the colour difference between Tanzania origin and Kenya origin?
And do you have bluish green vs yellowish-green ones? Actually the tsavorites you showed in these photos look so beautiful, I can’t tell whether they’re bluish green or yellowish-green. They just looks a beautiful green to me

Tanzania origin and Kenya origin have the same color range, and the color cannot distinguish the origin. I didn't collect yellow-green Tsavorite because I didn't find a good-looking yellow-green savorite. But many bright yellow-green Tsavorites are seen as mint garnets

landscape

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of the Madagascar demantoid? The mine owner states they’re very blue in comparison to all other locations.
Madagascar demantoid has a strong dispersion, which I think is stronger than that of demantoid from other origins. and many Madagascar demantoid have color-changing effects .But Madagascar demantoid itself is darker in natural light. As for the tone, Madagascar demantoid may be bluer than Russian demantoid (in fact, Russian demantoid also has bluer, similar to African demantoid),
But madagascar demantoid is no bluer than Namibian demantoid.
To sum up, I think the biggest advantage of Madagascar demantoid is not its own color, but its strong dispersion, it can easily break up the light and make it look colorful. But it looks darker by itself, maybe it's the reason for the color changing effect (we know that color changing gemstones are darker in natural light)

I drew madagascar demantoid in the green circle, Namibian demantoid in the blue circle, and Russian demantoid in the red circle

1白光合影a.jpg 1灯光合影a.jpg 1自然光合照a.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madagascar demantoid has a strong dispersion, which I think is stronger than that of demantoid from other origins. and many Madagascar demantoid have color-changing effects .But Madagascar demantoid itself is darker in natural light. As for the tone, Madagascar demantoid may be bluer than Russian demantoid (in fact, Russian demantoid also has bluer, similar to African demantoid),
To sum up, I think the biggest advantage of Madagascar demantoid is not its own color, but its strong dispersion, it can easily break up the light and make it look colorful. But it looks darker by itself, maybe it's the reason for the color changing effect (we know that color changing gemstones are darker in natural light)

I drew madagascar demantoid in the green circle, Namibian demantoid in the blue circle, and Russian demantoid in the red circle

Very informative!! Thank you!!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I always learn so much from your posts. Thank you so much for sharing - again!

poppystar

Rough_Rock

Thanks landscape! love your guidance and examples

poppystar

Rough_Rock

looking at your demantoids, it's the Russian one that makes my heart skip a beat (actually, many beats!)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen fine Russian demantoids in person, and they’re gorgeous, but the dispersion and underlying blue color gets me the most with the non typical Russian material and the Namibians. Here’s a Russian stone from Tsarina Jewels (not mine) that looks Namibian to me. I love it. You can compare it to the more traditional colored demantoid melee in the ring setting.

6C17F409-46F2-4808-BF92-68FC97653590.jpeg

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I’ve seen fine Russian demantoids in person, and they’re gorgeous, but the dispersion and underlying blue color gets me the most with the non typical Russian material and the Namibians. Here’s a Russian stone from Tsarina Jewels (not mine) that looks Namibian to me. I love it. You can compare it to the more traditional colored demantoid melee in the ring setting.

6C17F409-46F2-4808-BF92-68FC97653590.jpeg

Yes, there are blue-green Russian demantoids, very close to African demantoids
捕获17.JPG

Reactions: T L

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely collection.

@landscape, do you by any chance have a collection of siberian and african amethysts? If so, I would love to see you start a thread on them. Many thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results