shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet color question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RefutadorDeLeyendas

Rough_Rock
Hello, you are in right! The most common (only 15 to 20 known gems over 1 ct) blue garnet is color change from Madagascar, my 1.56 ct blue garnet is blue blue, not blue flashes, blue blue under natural light and wine red under incandescent light, but I own an 1 ct blue garnet, not color change.
All the best!!!
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Daniel.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 9:07:01 PM
Author: RefutadorDeLeyendas
my 1.56 ct blue garnet is blue blue, not blue flashes, blue blue under natural light and wine red under incandescent light, but I own an 1 ct blue garnet, not color change.

Sounds great to me
5.gif
Is it going to become jewelry? Where is it from?

Your description ''including wine red under incandescent'' indicates some degree of color change to me (from blue to reddish violet) - and that is an expected type of color change for garnet. Which is great news, because if it were blue under both types of light.. the chances that you are looking at some sort of synthetic would have been higher - as far as I can tell.

If that''s blue garnet w/o color change - I''d rather bet this is not a new gem type, but a synthetic of sorts. Not that new gems are not being discovered all the time, but it happens allot less often than mistaking labels ... so to speak, unfortunately. And ''blue garnet'' is such a legend, than hearing that finally, the hunt is over with the discovery of an illusive gem, brings even more question marks.

OK. Sorry for the ramble. Blue & wine color is color change to me, and a fine type at that. The largest and finest color change garnets I have ever seen were of these colors . I don''t know what is the record , but this one I ma talking about was an African stone (could look up the location, but don''t know off the bat) near 6 cts. A few more around 5 cts are lurking around in dealer''s drawers, as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results