shape
carat
color
clarity

G or H Color for Studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

What''s your opinion--G or H color for diamond studs (about a half carat each in size)? Is there a visual difference between the two (I''m color sensitive)? Also, would I be saving a significant amount of money if I went with Hs instead of Gs (with clarity being equal)?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will be fine w/an H. People don''t look at your ears as close as they do your ering. Lots of people get SI1 or SI2 for clarity in earrings. Best wishes!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Skippy. H would be fine on your ears with SI clarity; as long as they look nice and sparkle I think you''d be happy with them and they are certainly more affordable.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Skippy and Marcy. Do you think Hs will face up icy white? I''m thinking I should visit some jewelry stores and see for myself (in person) how they look mounted and face up. I assume the difference will probably be so slight that I won''t be able to tell which is which.

This weekend I tried on some Hearts on Fire studs (for size comparison purposes) and they were gorgeous!!
30.gif
When I asked what color/clarity HOF uses for their studs, the sales lady told me that for the 18k WG studs, they use G-H, SI stones and for the plat studs they use F-G, VS stones. I''m not sure if I had tried on the 18k or plat but looking at the display all the studs sparkled like crazy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'm not sure if there will be a visual difference between a G or an H, BUT you probably will only be saving a few hundred dollars, by going down to an H, so if you're sensitive, you may want to first look at G color stones. I just got .41 carat (each) and ended up getting F color. Originally, I planned to get I color, but only after going up quite a bit in budget, I ended up finding a gorgeous pair of Fs and they are VERY white. In the end, I think it was worth paying a bit more.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have half carat (each) BR studs. SI H,I. They''re set in yellow gold and they still set off the fireworks!

Good Luck!

OOH! Look! Something Shiny!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 11:16:43 PM
Author: sugarplum
Thanks Skippy and Marcy. Do you think Hs will face up icy white? I''m thinking I should visit some jewelry stores and see for myself (in person) how they look mounted and face up. I assume the difference will probably be so slight that I won''t be able to tell which is which.

This weekend I tried on some Hearts on Fire studs (for size comparison purposes) and they were gorgeous!!
30.gif
When I asked what color/clarity HOF uses for their studs, the sales lady told me that for the 18k WG studs, they use G-H, SI stones and for the plat studs they use F-G, VS stones. I''m not sure if I had tried on the 18k or plat but looking at the display all the studs sparkled like crazy.

Those Hearts on Fire studs are sparklers, aren''t they? When I was shopping for diamond studs I tried some on, too. I just pulled out the card the sales clerk gave me with the specs, and they were 0.70 tcw I-J SI set in 18kt WG. After seeing those, I went ahead and bought ideal cut J SI diamond studs. I am thrilled with them. Most jewelers I have shown them to guess that they are G''s. They forget to account for the ideal cut. It makes that much difference as to how white they appear.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think H would be bad at all in studs and would look white from the top. If you like them on your ear and they sparkle like crazy, I think you''ll be delighted with them. I''ll forward forward to pictures.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to those who have replied and if you don''t mind my asking, where did you all purchase your studs? Are any of you WF ACA owners? If so, how do you personally think they compare to "regular" ideal cut stones and do you think a lower color ACA will face up as white as a higher color "regular" ideal cut stone?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The earrings I purchased are F SI1s ACAs and I''ve compared them to my ideal cut G stone of the same size and cannot tell the difference.

Lower color ACAs will sparkle like crazy but I do not think they will be icy white like an E or F stone. Honestly, I really think it comes down to budget. What can you afford in the size you''re looking at? Keep an eye out for expert selection stones and see what you can find.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I think H''s for earrings are good enough. On the ear it''s very difficult to notice the color. I have a pair of ACA I''s and they face up very white! I love them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:11:37 AM
Thanks to those who have replied and if you don''t mind my asking, where did you all purchase your studs? Are any of you WF ACA owners? If so, how do you personally think they compare to ''regular'' ideal cut stones and do you think a lower color ACA will face up as white as a higher color ''regular'' ideal cut stone?
Hi sugarplum,

WF ACA owner checking in. I own a pair of .58 each, one G, one H. I cannot see the difference, and I''m picky.
2.gif
If I ever upgrade, I''d have no problem with I''s, or even J''s. They really do face up blindingly white when they''re this well cut. I''ll post a pic, see if you can tell a difference.
28.gif

Earring2338.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:11:37 AM
Thanks to those who have replied and if you don''t mind my asking, where did you all purchase your studs? Are any of you WF ACA owners? If so, how do you personally think they compare to ''regular'' ideal cut stones and do you think a lower color ACA will face up as white as a higher color ''regular'' ideal cut stone?
I purchased my 0.42/0.43 J SI1 studs from Blue Nile. Take a look at the pictures here (Link). They are GIA Excellent and have excellent HCA scores. You don''t get the lifetime tradeup guarantee or the many pictures that you get from WF, but the diamonds were great quality and they definitely cost less.

I have no idea how much better ACAs would be. I felt that the differences were likely to be tiny for the $. I was looking for really, really nice studs, and I wasn''t trying for the best of the best. I feel that I achieved that. It''s a matter of trade-offs and I know many here prefer to spend more for a perceived better product, cert, and/or guarantee.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey - I have I VS1 ACA studs (0.4 ct each), and I am pretty color sensitive but can''t really see the difference with my G e-ring stone (though it is just a regular ideal cut, not an ACA, and wouldn''t make the grade as an ACA). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how the lower color ACAs show up - I know I was!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input everyone!

Ellen- Is the stud on the left the H and the one on the right the G?

Fly girl- Thanks for sharing your thread. Your studs look really white on your ears!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Sugarplum.......

In the size range you''re talking about, H would be virtually indistinguishable from G.

I have .55 J, SI2 studs, and they look WHITE. I just got .75 H stones in dangle earrings - can''t see the difference.

Body color is much less apparent in smaller stones (especially in .50 range) and more apparent as you get larger (as in over a carat or more).

Also, keep in mind that studs will nearly NEVER be seen in profile due to their position on the ear, and body color shows most from the profile view.

You''d be MORE than safe with H color for .50 studs. Good luck, and enjoy!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
*please pardon the threadjack*

Date: 7/24/2007 12:06:50 PM
Author: aljdewey

I just got .75 H stones in dangle earrings
!!!????!!!!????

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:06:50 PM
Author: aljdewey
Sugarplum.......

In the size range you''re talking about, H would be virtually indistinguishable from G.

I have .55 J, SI2 studs, and they look WHITE. I just got .75 H stones in dangle earrings - can''t see the difference.

Body color is much less apparent in smaller stones (especially in .50 range) and more apparent as you get larger (as in over a carat or more).

Also, keep in mind that studs will nearly NEVER be seen in profile due to their position on the ear, and body color shows most from the profile view.

You''d be MORE than safe with H color for .50 studs. Good luck, and enjoy!
Al- I saw the earrings in your SMTR thread. The look lovely on your ears!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:00:26 PM
Thanks for your input everyone!

Ellen- Is the stud on the left the H and the one on the right the G?

Fly girl- Thanks for sharing your thread. Your studs look really white on your ears!
I have no idea.
2.gif

Don''t confuse the darkness that can appear at times in photos with the body color. Just look at the white, brightness. They are indistinguishable.

Maybe this will help, and again, I have no idea which is which. We can guess, but who knows, as lighting is always playing a part, and diamonds are never constant. Plus, we are looking for something because we know it''s there, other people won''t, and won''t begin to scrutenize them like we are now.
28.gif

Earrings_1101[1].jpg

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen! Your studs are gorgeous (can''t tell the G from the H). I''m looking to get 3 prong martinis so the pic you posted is making me drool! Ha ha.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
H''s will be absolutely fine. In all honestly, there isn''t much of a visual difference between G''s and H''s. Both are very white and when well cut will appear icey white from the top. They will still be very white from the side as well.

I have H''s and I''s stones in a wedding band and both appear very white and I can''t tell the difference between them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 1:03:55 PM
Ellen! Your studs are gorgeous (can''t tell the G from the H). I''m looking to get 3 prong martinis so the pic you posted is making me drool! Ha ha.
Thanks!

And no, you really can''t tell.
28.gif

Can''t wait to see yours!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
I bought my girl a pair of 1ct tw princess studs for Christmas a couple years ago.
They are of a very low quality stone and I purchased @ Kohls.
They were only about $600 and I got some other free merchandise in the store.
She loves them to death though.
In a few years I''d like to upgrade her to a really high quality pair of studs with lots of fire.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the one on the right is the H, the left the G in Ellen's pair (in the WF pic). Of course, had I not known they weren't the same color, I wouldn't have guessed they were different at all.

If the price isn't significantly different, I'd go for the Gs. However if it is a significant price diff, of course I'd get the Hs.

In my pair of 0.8 ctw I had a choice of I VS1s or F SI1s for a minimal price difference. So I went for the Fs. But if the cost was significantly different, I'd have gone for the Is.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Let's play my favorite game: "How Low Can We Go?" ???!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

My AGS-0 studs are .45 each and one is a J and one is a K!!! They are blazingly white, killer diamonds, and I can't tell which is which unless I have my super louper out and read the laser inscription. I'm so thrilled with those earrings, I wear them A LOT, and I get compliments every single time!

I LOVE lower colored stones for the VALUE of it... saving money on color and clarity (although I do insist on eye-clean) let's me put more money towards... SIZE! Yeah, baby, YEAH!!!
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ACA studs are also .75 each, H VS2. I am very picky and I cannot see even a hint of color. I tried on other colors at a jeweler, and I couldn''t tell G from I. But I could start seeing color at J (and I was looking outside in natural light with a mirror). I think H is very safe for studs if they are ideal cut or H&A.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results