shape
carat
color
clarity

"G" color bad? PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bools

Rough_Rock
Hi, i'm looking into a diamond solitare for my soon to be significant other.

I'm looking at going with SI1 clarity and G color.

I've seen the stone and the SI1 isn't visible at all to the naked eye. Even under a loupe it is quite hard to notice as it isn't on the table of the stone.

My dilemma is this - I'd really like to go into an "F" colour stone because it falls into the "colorless" range of diamonds. However, i've come across something "G" in colour and by doing so it will allow me to go about 0.20 bigger in size.

What do you think? Is a "G" colored stone a bad stone? I looked at it side by side to an "E" color and could barely barely barely tell a difference and only against a white background when they were side by side.

What do you think?

BTW, the stone i am looking at is a super-ideal cut so it has a nice fire to it and it has an EGL cert.

Please please advise.

Thanks in advance.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There is no absolute "good" of "bad" especially when it comes to color! It is purely a matter of taste. I went with a J color since it allowed me to afford other attributes I deemed more important. Others prefer the icy white of D-E and eschew even an F.

I know there are people who claim they can spot color differences between one grade, even mounted. As you have discovered, for most people it is not that easy.

I personally would have no problem with a G if it allows you the opportunity to increase size, (of the stone), without sacrificing cut. There's a parameter you shouldn't give in on since it will affect the diamond's light performance.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bools,

I am certainly by no means an expert, but I've recently viewed a one carat G next to a one carat I - both mounted in platinum, both ideal cuts - and I could not, for the life of me, tell the difference. In fact, I had to be told which one was which - I guessed wrong.
1.gif
This pretty much sold me on the idea of an I coloured stone, when I'd previously wanted at least a F or G.

Ditto on what Rodentman says - cut is king!

bools

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

1. CUT: I know first and foremost that i'd like a super ideal cut H&A stone. This is s must for me as I've seen how much it affects the sparkle and fire of a stone.

2. CLARITY: I feel relatively comfortable in the SI1 that I looked at. Very hard to spot the inclusion even under a loupe.

3. COLOR: This is where I get all tense - Is a "G" really that bad? I've looked at "I" colored stones and even these look good to me. I don't want to come across as "cheap" by buying a "G" colored stone that she will see as "yellow" every time she looks at her finger. I can go up about 20 points by going to a "G" and this will get me over that magical 7mm spread.

4. CARAT: As noted above.

BTW, thank for the reply Canadiangrrl as you've got some firsthand experience with all this - i'm in the same boat as you in terms of judging color...I picked the right stone, but with a bit of hesitation.

It's funny how picking a stone has a snowball effect - when I first started looking, I wanted to look at "H-I" colors. Now, even a "G" seems like sacrificing. I can't imagine what the next want would be if I already had an "F" colored stone.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Color is no different than clarity: what's truly important is what you can see. A G color is still very colorless, and if your eyes can't tell much a difference between an F and a G, I can guarantee you that most people won't be able to either.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I have a "J" Diamond and I am soooooo very pleased with it. I have a VVS1 and is rated AGS0 for cut. I can honestly say that my diamond is a sparkler! I am glad I went to a J so I got a little bit more weight. To me I wanted a very clean stone and in my mind, I would get a little warmer stone. But b/c the cut is so beautiful, I cannot notice the tint at all, I have this stone set into a rose gold tension setting. B/c the light hits the stone in all ways, i really believe it increased the color a little bit. I am really happy with my J. Before I purchased my diamond, I asked Rodentman to send me pictures of his J diamond and I was really amazed it looked so white. I believe his is an 8* ( and it looks beautiful in his setting ), since mine is an AGS graded stone, I was a little scared that it would differ, but it is still face up very white. Depends what you are looking for. I still think that a GHIJ color diamond is a GREAT bang for the bucks! Peace all.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We compared an E to a G and couldn't tell a difference at all (both my fiance and I looked at the stone unset). We went with the G because it was a VS1 and also because it looked bigger, better etc. The color was not a sacrifice for us and I am very happy, it's very white, and we had it set in platinum (pix of my ring are in the Eye Candy forum). I don't think a G is a sacrifice at all and personally think that if you have to 'sacrifice' something to get a better cut, going from F to G is an excellent way to go. F's are more expensive because of their 'colorless' phrasing, but about 98% of the people viewing the ring will not even know if its a D, E, F, G, H or I...just that its amazingly sparkly..and that its not yellow.
2.gif

Our jeweler also told us he feels that G should not be in the DEF range NOR in the HIJ range because it's almost a color unto itself. I tend to agree having seen the ranges. But then again I'm biased!

My two cents!
1.gif

bools

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for all your insight. I'm soo glad to have found this forum. I'm usually never one to jump into a purchase and i'm glad to be doing some research ahead of time.

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable going with a "G" color now. Despite what the grading scale says, I really found it hard to tell a difference between the E, F, and the G and the only way I could even see a difference (albeit minisucully slight) was when the stones were in the unmounted upside down position - even then, it seem like I was just trying to find differences.

I hope she loves the ring, but i'm going to enjoy giving it to her a lot more :D :D

Thanks guys and keep the comments coming re: G color.
twirl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Just be sure that EGL was right and the stone is actually G color.
1.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I have an H color EGL cert (USA-Los Angelos lab) set in platinum and I'm very happy with it......I am fully aware that EGL is know to be a little lax on their grading so I don't know what it would come back as from GIA, but if I ever get to "upgrade" I will stick with a G or H FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!! I would have NO problem going with an H again. I'm very happy with the color.
1.gif

bools

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/14/2003 3:35:41 AM Giangi wrote:

Just be sure that EGL was right and the stone is actually G color.
1.gif

----------------

It's funny that you mentioned it. I had a rough night last tossing and turning, because I just wasn't comfortable buying with the EGL cert.

I've since talked to my jeweller and he's on a frantic hunt for an AGS000 or a GIA super ideal cut Hearts and Arrows. He assured me that the EGL cert was bang-on, but he also said that if I wasn't comfortable with it then he'd be more than happy to find me a GIA or AGS cert stone.

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I went with a J and am completely happy with how white it is! Definitely not something to feel "cheap" over! If you never tell her, she'll never know. That right there makes it a pretty easy decision right?

gog2.jpg

You can check out more pics here

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
My wife has a G/H emerald cut, and I've lost no sleep over it.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a very clean, pretty G/SI1, and couldn't be happier with it. Personally I feel it is the best bang for your buck. There is nothing "bad" whatsoever about it. As others have said, even going lower in color, providing the stone is extremely well cut, could even afford you more stone, and you could still get quite a dazzler. Good luck with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results