shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with fossils: belemnite!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm just not inspired by these designs, since they don't emphasize that this is belemnite vs any other opal. If you set it in one of those, it would look like a regular opal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just not inspired by these designs, since they don't emphasize that this is belemnite vs any other opal. If you set it in one of those, it would look like a regular opal.

Hmmm, I didn't even think about that.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1551.JPG
Good point -
But even a literal design won't really lead a casual observer to realize it's an actual fossil.
Which would you enjoy more?

Attachments

• IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 117

voce

Ideal_Rock
Of course set it however it gives you joy. Another idea I have is to set it as the haloed "lid" of a treasure chest with another piece of fossil. But what is true is that however good an idea is, what matters in the end is the execution. It would take a true artist to craft a unique and inspiring setting. For the other settings you're looking at, you can probably find many jewelers who are able to create that design.

I would just personally prefer something with a little more 3D feel, since this gorgeous belemnite is different from regular (flat, 2D) pieces of opal. The thing that @Rfisher posted, not sure what that is (a long baroque pearl?), but it's for sure that it's very literal but not beautiful.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs-
Whatever you choose to create I am sure will be lovely,
As is all your other projects are.
I am sure it won't turn out to be a "thing".
:)

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks to the magic of powerpoint and a late start at work today, I quickly made these. What do people think about the shapes, bale vs no bale, and bezel + halo vs. just halo alone?
belemnite3.jpg

belemnite2.jpg

belemnite1.jpg

edit. The first one wouldn't be such a "sharp" kite shape on the sides, since obviously the belemnite doesn't have the corners. But it would come to a sharp point at the bottom vs the other ones that are softer.
They would all look gorgeous with your opal, but I like the first two with the bale, only because the other type with the two ears for the chain tends to move off center on my neck, but it might not on yours. I also like just a halo with no bezel for your opal. I think it would work better with the rounded shape of your opal. I know whichever design you choose it will be fabulous! :)) I would be nervous to send the opal off to Kyo in China too though...Maybe there is a way around that?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1551.JPG
Good point -
But even a literal design won't really lead a casual observer to realize it's an actual fossil.
Which would you enjoy more?
I'd honestly enjoy a wearable design that looks nice. I don't need it to *look* like a fossil. I just like knowing that it is :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disastrous photoshop attempt to show bezel vs. no bezel in my favorite design (so far).
Kyo said I would have to send it to China which I don't think I'm comfortable doing. So I need to find someone to set it here. Maybe DK?

belemnite4-bezel.jpg

belemnite4.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your piece is pretty cylindrical so like a pinch bezel? I can’t think of the right term.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m really intrigued by how this shape sits in the bezel and can’t see a side view of this style setting for a cylindrical stone.

How do you stop a piece like this from constantly rocking sideways on the cylindrical part that’s behind the halo (to keep the halo facing forwards at 90 degrees from your body, rather than tilting off to either side)? If you’re planning to wear it long, I guess it doesn’t matter as it would be less noticeable. But as a chest length pendant, would it bother you if it was rotated off centre a lot of the time? Or does the back of the halo stop that somehow?

It’s such a cool and interesting shape!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really intrigued by how this shape sits in the bezel and can’t see a side view of this style setting for a cylindrical stone.

How do you stop a piece like this from constantly rocking sideways on the cylindrical part that’s behind the halo (to keep the halo facing forwards at 90 degrees from your body, rather than tilting off to either side)? If you’re planning to wear it long, I guess it doesn’t matter as it would be less noticeable. But as a chest length pendant, would it bother you if it was rotated off centre a lot of the time? Or does the back of the halo stop that somehow?

It’s such a cool and interesting shape!
I know, I was worried about that too. Here's a pic of a set one that the vendor showed me. f.JPEG ff.JPEG

I'm thinking that the gold on the back might make it lay flat, but I'd want to make sure that whoever sets it knows that I don't want it to rock.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That makes more sense! I was mentally picturing an open back for some reason, with the belemnite showing in front of and behind the halo (from a side view). Closing the back a lot makes much more sense and keeps perfumes and lotions away from the stone too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talking to Cheyenne Weil about potentially setting the stone in a more creative/octopus-centric design.

Sketches so far. What do people think? It's definitely more literal than I was originally thinking, but still wearable.

sketch1.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very cool! I love the octopus at the top, but if you don’t want something so literal, I would definitely still do something like you show with the octopus arms coming down. :kiss2:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
That octopus is ridiculous and I love it.

Top one is a little on the nose, but the slightly abstracted tentacle bail is so unique.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yes I agree with the above poster in that the second tentacle bail is so on point!

I think itd be easier to fabricate yet still look insanely beautiful whereas the whole octopus would be more difficult to create and cost a pretty penny; the one upside about that design though would be that you could place emerald, rubies, or paraiba tourmalines in the eyes of the octopus!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the octopus, but my vote is for the more abstract one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! I love the octopus at the top, but if you don’t want something so literal, I would definitely still do something like you show with the octopus arms coming down. :kiss2:
Yeah, agreed! Her work is amazing, even in these rough sketches. I can't even imagine being that talented. It's so hard to choose! I like both ideas.

I do want to incorporate some "bling" into the design somehow. Maybe putting small gemstones or diamonds on the "tentacle" circle things? Don't know what they are called. The random sucker things on the bottom of the tentacles.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Talking to Cheyenne Weil about potentially setting the stone in a more creative/octopus-centric design.

Sketches so far. What do people think? It's definitely more literal than I was originally thinking, but still wearable.

sketch1.jpg
Omg, so cute! I definitely like this design. The only point I'm hesitant on is how accurately it could be reproduced from the sketch.

I would do diamonds for the eyes and rubies for the suckers on the tentacles, because pink is more realistic to irl colours than white. What size do you think you'd use? I have a bunch of melee sized rubies (1.25mm, 1.5 mm) and reddish orange spinels (2.5 mm) that I could contribute for free, because I bought way too many. ::)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These aren't good examples, but shows what I mean about having "bling" on the octopus tentacles.

These aren't really "tentacles" per say, but shows the general idea: opal_eye_ring_by_elhanati_1.jpg

Too detailed and huge, but also kind of shows stones on the legs:

the_octopus_ravishing_allure_by_paleopastori_dc1l7bm-350t.jpg

Cheap looking, but also shows the idea:
NHYL129527.jpg

Not a great version either, but same idea.
octopus.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
These aren't good examples, but shows what I mean about having "bling" on the octopus tentacles.

These aren't really "tentacles" per say, but shows the general idea: opal_eye_ring_by_elhanati_1.jpg

Too detailed and huge, but also kind of shows stones on the legs:

the_octopus_ravishing_allure_by_paleopastori_dc1l7bm-350t.jpg

Cheap looking, but also shows the idea:
NHYL129527.jpg

Not a great version either, but same idea.
octopus.jpg
I wouldn't do it the way of the second inspiration pic, but I like the others. I would trade something in my collection for that last ring: such a cute octopus!

On another note, I wouldn't do bling on the back side, (1) because you wouldn't see it, and (2) you'd want it to lie comfortably against your skin, and I'd much rather have smooth gold than pave gems against my skin.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B679BA6D-7A62-4A0E-940F-B03A8AACD5FB.jpeg
This one looks quite skillfully done, but don’t know the size reference
MUCH better! Yes, that definitely looks well done.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

sketch1.jpg
When you first asked for design ideas I had toyed with firefly or glittering fairy designs but nothing really seemed to work. I think you absolutely nailed it with the octopus design, and I too prefer the second, more stylized design. It will be interesting to see how a simple basket might be incorporated into that design, as you might need one to keep the fossil off your skin and help prevent roll over. And also to keep the best color front and center.

Your belemnite has a rainbow of colors so I'm not sure if adding a lot of colored melee to the octopus would enhance or just compete with the main event. Maybe just a couple of small, sparkly diamonds for the eyes, and perhaps a diamond at the end of each tentacle?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you first asked for design ideas I had toyed with firefly or glittering fairy designs but nothing really seemed to work. I think you absolutely nailed it with the octopus design, and I too prefer the second, more stylized design. It will be interesting to see how a simple basket might be incorporated into that design, as you might need one to keep the fossil off your skin and help prevent roll over. And also to keep the best color front and center.

Your belemnite has a rainbow of colors so I'm not sure if adding a lot of colored melee to the octopus would enhance or just compete with the main event. Maybe just a couple of small, sparkly diamonds for the eyes, and perhaps a diamond at the end of each tentacle?
haha I take zero credit--all Cheyenne! Agree, I would need a simple basket to keep off my skin and avoid rolling. Hmm, good point about the colors, though I've seen some gorgeous opals with colored melee. But there is something appealing about just sparkly white diamonds on tentacles.

Reactions: prs
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results