shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with Fluorescence!

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I was home alone today, so I decided to be a rebel and look at my mom's jewelry under the old, dusty Halloween UV light! Here's some pics:

Here's my mom's engagement ring, which she bought after her original one was stolen recently. Needs the prongs tightened. It looks to have a strong blue fluorescence, but couldn't see any discernible oiliness or haziness in the sun.

Another vintage find by my mom.

I love the red glow and the blue and yellow spots remind me of lightbrite! I read that only 5% of fluorescent diamonds glow colors other than blue, so she must be lucky or those side diamonds are fake! :cry:

Until today, I had wanted a diamond with faint to medium fluorescence so I could see it glow blue under a UV light. Now I know that unless I put the stone directly next to a UV light, I won't be able to see it glow blue! I suppose this opens up a bunch of non-fluorescent OEC options!

_35052.jpg

_35053.jpg

fluor3.jpg

adom

Rough_Rock
I love the pictures. Definitely fun! Makes me want to go through the jewelry box with a black light! :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun pictures! :wavey:

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I was told today that "higher quality diamonds don't glow". Tried to be as tactful as possible in my response, but in the end gave up. So many misconceptions about diamonds and what constitutes a "good diamond". Doesn't help that I now know way too much about diamonds thanks to PS! :lol:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
So much fun! :) I don't think I have seen a pic of yellow fluoro from a stone until now. Erica at Love Affair Diamonds sold an OEC where you could see a blue tinge sometimes, depending on the lighting. It has orange phosphorescence too! The non fluoro OEC options are just as beautiful, of course.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/sold-2-34ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-n-si1/

PS has taught me so much about diamonds too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1445992691|3942798 said:
I was told today that "higher quality diamonds don't glow". Tried to be as tactful as possible in my response, but in the end gave up. So many misconceptions about diamonds and what constitutes a "good diamond". Doesn't help that I now know way too much about diamonds thanks to PS! :lol:
Then the "Hope Diamond" is a low quality... ;))

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was told today that "higher quality diamonds don't glow"...

Well, that is technically true, in that fluorescent diamonds are devalued a bit and at least the higher color ones sell for lower prices than the diamonds of the same specs except no fluorescence.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluor and Phos are some of my favourite things in diamonds. I need to get my own black light soon!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1446007987|3942879 said:
Then the "Hope Diamond" is a low quality... ;))
Touche DF!

The Blue Moon is another more recent example. Estimated to sell at auction for a cool $35 Million. While much smaller than the Hope it is even better quality (IF Vivid Blue). Like the Hope it has red phosphorescence!
http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/mineral-sciences/temporary-displays/blue-moon-diamond

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results