shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun fashion brooches

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a quite large Christmas pin/brooch collection. Anyone else?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my brooches were found at Antique Shops, while I was planning my wedding.
I have a few that were handed down from my grandmother & my mother (not certain of the original owners).
I used the majority of mine in my bouquets for my wedding. I use one to fasten my fur stole, and the rest I keep tucked away for future use.

8504620E-835A-4176-92A6-3B30E0AF8E1A.jpeg 566EB6F0-AC15-4107-A59D-62972642D9A2.jpeg 8A299FED-A678-4600-ACC2-778A30C485FE.jpeg

This White & Blue Sapphire Brooch belonged to my mother:
8148B5AD-BF20-4E4D-997F-0878998411C4.jpeg

The Pocket Watch was a lucky find at an Antique Store in my Grandparents’ Home Town. It is dated circa 1925. My DH had this, the day of our wedding; our theme was 1920’s/1930’s Art-Deco/Gatsby. It doesn’t keep time very long (I need to have it examined), and it was set to the start time of our wedding, that day (3:30pm). We were pronounced before the stroke of 4pm. ;)2

The large, oval shaped brooch, under the watch is the brooch I use to fasten my Fur Stole.
383E2AE3-736F-474D-9B37-37B7390F1BD1.jpeg

I have a few Christmas themed brooches that my Grandmother once wore, but I’d have to go digging for those....they’re packed in boxes that I brought from my mother’s studio apartment, when I moved her into Memory Care.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my brooches were found at Antique Shops, while I was planning my wedding.
I have a few that were handed down from my grandmother & my mother (not certain of the original owners).
I used the majority of mine in my bouquets for my wedding. I use one to fasten my fur stole, and the rest I keep tucked away for future use.

8504620E-835A-4176-92A6-3B30E0AF8E1A.jpeg 566EB6F0-AC15-4107-A59D-62972642D9A2.jpeg 8A299FED-A678-4600-ACC2-778A30C485FE.jpeg

The Pocket Watch was a lucky find at an Antique Store in my Grandparents’ Home Town. It is dated circa 1925. My DH had this, the day of our wedding; our theme was 1920’s/1930’s Art-Deco/Gatsby. It doesn’t keep time very long (I need to have it examined), and it was set to the start time of our wedding, that day (3:30pm). We were pronounced before the stroke of 4pm. ;)2

The large, oval shaped brooch, under the watch is the brooch I use to fasten my Fur Stole.

I have a few Christmas themed brooches that my Grandmother once wore, but I’d have to go digging for those....they’re packed in boxes that I brought from my mother’s studio apartment, when I moved her into Memory Care.

Oh they are all beautiful! I really like how you used them as the centers of the flowers. :appl: I hope you can find the Christmas brooches. I woud love to see them.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry - did someone say...Christmas? I was in a totally different thread, but I was sure I heard you girls muttering away about my favorite time of the year - so here I am!

And I LOVE your pins! All of them!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry - did someone say...Christmas? I was in a totally different thread, but I was sure I heard you girls muttering away about my favorite time of the year - so here I am!

And I LOVE your pins! All of them!

Oh you would love my Christmas pin collection but there are so many that I don't want to hog this thread, lol. [but I may be convinced :lol:]

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll try and do them by type I guess. First up are the Christmas trees.
1st up a vintage Hollycraft
IMG_2185[2].jpg
This one is a vintage Warner
IMG_2330[1].jpg
This one is from the Rockefeller Center collection, dated 2004
IMG_2216[1].jpg
This one is also from the Rockefeller Center collection dated 2007
IMG_2222[1].jpg
This next one is not signed but dated 2002
IMG_2228[1].jpg
This next one is an unsigned Warner
DSC_0319.JPG
Unsigned aurora borealis
IMG_2217[1].jpg
Another aurora borealis
IMG_2220[1].jpg
Hubby bought me this one for Christmas last year
IMG_3697[1].jpg
And my new favorite in honor of FL
IMG_3698[1].jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up are the wreaths...

Vintage rhinestone
DSC_0469.JPG
Vintage but unsigned
IMG_3692[1].jpg
The rest aren't vintage but I love them anyways...
IMG_3693[1].jpg
IMG_2230[1].jpg
IMG_2203[1].jpg
IMG_2188[1].jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs_b, aren't you sorry you sent vibes?

Last up are miscellaneous ones. First one is a Monet
IMG_3694[1].jpg
Snowflake..
IMG_2201[1].jpg
Vintag Rhinestone snowman
IMG_2196[1].jpg
And all the rest, lol.....
IMG_3687[1].jpg

Whew................

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love these! :love::love::love:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom, your holiday brooches are divine!
I once had a nice Christmas tree brooch, but I gave it to the grocery cashier who admired it.
Spread the brooch love, right?

Indeed! We need to bring back the brooch love! Thank you. My collection/obsession started with my Christmas pins. I found that it was so much easier to wear a brooch on a sweater during the winter than my pendants. Once Christmas was over though there still was a heck of a lot of winter left so I started collecting other ones. The past couple years I have branched out into "real" ones to the dismay of my wallet. :lol: But I still can't pass by a Christmas one.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been a jewelry girl forever, but my love for pins started in the early 80's.
An old boyfriend once told me I looked like Michael Jackson, cause I had so many pins on the lapel of my coat! It was a 1950's swing coat with a very large lapel....what else could I do but display my pins there???

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom - I'm currently on a plane somewhere over...Utah, I believe...and have only just been able to check in again.

What is it about Christmas that touches me so deeply?? I looked at all your pieces and am now sitting here on my Jetblue flight all teary!! Something about them embodies my childhood memories of Christmas; when you got to the BELLS, it was all over for me!

Just wonderful.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 - I think your usage of your pins in your wedding bouquet was inspired. So beautiful!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 - I think your usage of your pins in your wedding bouquet was inspired. So beautiful!

Thank you, @mrs-b! Safe travels!! ;)2
I believe the adequate amount of bling incorporated into the bouquets was just the right, finishing touch they needed. I used Swarovski crystals on petals, as well! :mrgreen2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom - I'm currently on a plane somewhere over...Utah, I believe...and have only just been able to check in again.

What is it about Christmas that touches me so deeply?? I looked at all your pieces and am now sitting here on my Jetblue flight all teary!! Something about them embodies my childhood memories of Christmas; when you got to the BELLS, it was all over for me!

Just wonderful.

@mrs-b, I totally understand about Christmas. I grew up incredibly poor. We were the family that got our holiday meals given to us by the community otherwise it just might have been bologna sandwiches. I remember some Thanksgivings waking up and seeing a turkey in a box on our front porch. However poor we were though, my parents always had a tree and decorations up at Christmas and we had a present each. Some years it was only one each but we always had one. As bad as the rest of the year was, Christmas was always special and it remains so for me today.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I totally understand about Christmas. I grew up incredibly poor. We were the family that got our holiday meals given to us by the community otherwise it just might have been bologna sandwiches. I remember some Thanksgivings waking up and seeing a turkey in a box on our front porch. However poor we were though, my parents always had a tree and decorations up at Christmas and we had a present each. Some years it was only one each but we always had one. As bad as the rest of the year was, Christmas was always special and it remains so for me today.

No wonder it holds such a sweet spot in your heart!! I love stories like this! Quite frankly, wealthy or unfortunate, Holidays should be more like this: communities coming together to help & celebrate with one another, and 1-2 gifts for each child. Treats in the stockings, and merry memories to be made with friends & family. Holidays have become so commercialized & sensationalized that it’s difficult to keep up, anymore.
We have 6 children to focus on, and we have decided to slim things down, more. 2-3 gifts per child (one “big” gift from Santa). The youngest seems to be able to have a few extras because she is not so expensive as the older ones, but we try to keep it as even as possible. It’s just ridiculous, anymore. The entire purpose, and meaning has been lost.
There should be a happy medium; great food, wonderful time with family & friends, and a few gifts & treats. Our days of stuffing packages under tree until it’s buried are over; regardless of how fat our wallets are.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I only have 2 brooches but I thought I'd share.

The first is art-deco style pin that I inherited from my grandmother, I used it on my bouquet at my wedding and its now in my wedding shadow box.

HCwed-18.jpg

The second is a mosaic style that I inherited from aunt. I've yet to wear it. :oops2: I think I am not sure what to wear it with?

pin.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The first is art-deco style pin that I inherited from my grandmother, I used it on my bouquet at my wedding and its now in my wedding shadow box.

HCwed-18.jpg

The second is a mosaic style that I inherited from aunt. I've yet to wear it. :oops2: I think I am not sure what to wear it with?

pin.jpg
Pretty!
These mosaic styles are hand made in Italy. So sweet! You can just put it on the lapel of a casual jacket, or near the neckline of a sweater.
Or even on a fabric purse.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HCwed-18.jpg

pin.jpg

Oh the art deco one is just up my alley, gorgeous!!

I love the colors in the mosaic one. You can wear that on anything, sweaters, jackets, scarfs.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The magic of Christmas! Amongst all the drab - Christmas truly shines bright for some of us - and I definitely count myself amongst that group.

As a child in Australia, we sometimes had a tree, but more often, when my parents were not long married and had less money, we had a branch from a gum tree. My sister and I were given a couple of rolls of crepe paper and a bunch of sticky-tape, and we made crepe paper chains to decorate our 'tree'. As we got older, the decorations improved - the advent of colored lights was a huge step forward! - but it was always more church and family orientated than a big gift grab, like it seems so often to be these days.

I wish I could go back to those days. Every year DH and I say "this year we'll keep it simple" - but to our shame we don't, on the whole.

Knowing me, as you do, it's probably no surprise to you that DH and I had our first Christmas discussion for this year last night. We'll be by ourselves this year - no guests and not going anywhere. We plan to spend the day at home, playing with our dogs, having a nice lunch, then going to the movies in the afternoon - a tradition we've taken on board in recent years and enjoy a great deal. Christmas eve will see us in church, singing carols, then coming home to egg nog and mince pies. We'll open our main gift to each other that night then have 'Santa sacks' on Christmas morning. I've told DH that this year, the main things I want in my Santa sack are fruit, nuts, chocolate and mince pies! And socks are always high on the list.

And if I'm really lucky, there will be a Christmas brooch somewhere under a tree, with my name on it.

:))

PS What you shared about your family and early years really meant something to me. Thank you for sharing your pins, but also your history. Both precious.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results