shape
carat
color
clarity

frustration from talking to locals about diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
Has anyone gotten to the point where they are so frustrated with talking to people that are suppose to know stuff about diamonds that they just want to "buy" anything to end the torture?

I have been lurking around trying to learn as much as I can about diamonds, specificially emeralds and asschers. Being in Canada, asschers are extremely rare and only the whole saler knew what it was. Not even out sister store of Zales knew what is was. Then I go into a store and I''m told that an emerald has 14 facets ..... really ! ONLY in Canada - My Lord.

Anyhow, I got a price on an asscher today. 1.05 c, F, VVS2 for $9700. Forget getting a sarin, crown, table, etc. It just is not availible. I feel like I know too much and I can''t seem to get comfortable with paying what I know is highway robbery for a diamond. I feel as though I am never going to get engaged because ring shopping here is/and has been a complete disappointment.

Anyone else feel this way and how do you get past it ?

Cindy
7.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!
I started talking to the online vendors... end of frustration.
1.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes:

I have had many a sales person (and store owners) tell me that they are Diamond Experts based on their "xx" years in the industry. The vast majority of which could not even tell the story of the 4 C's straight, did not know anything about cut quality, and used the most amerturish - beginner level "closses" in their attempt to get me to buy a diamond from them.

I agree that they are Experts. Experts at Ignorance...

I have found 2 stores where they understood why I was looking at cut quality (perhaps 5% of the stores I have been in).

The main vendors associaed with Pricescope understand - and can discuss - things much better.

I agree that there is also a drive to buy something to learn about the process. Good thing my GF is interested in a 3 stone ring - with small "accent" side stones. I now own a pair of matched 1/4 carat diamonds for those sidestones. Much cheaper to learn about the buying and assessing process that way. I am sure they would make great earrings, or something, if she says no...

Perry

mia1967

Rough_Rock
It will drive you crazy...give in - go for on-line vendors - you''ll get a much better stone selection at WAY better prices.[$$)]

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 7:26:11 AM
Author: Feydakin
Is this where I come in and remind everyone that this is mostly a function of chain stores, and that independants, in general, are experts and do behave professionally??
27.gif
Not in my experence.
Most of the independants are just as bad as the mall stores in my area.
A few get downright rude if you ask too many questions.
Knowing diamonds and being able to share that knowlege with consumers is 2 different things.
A lot of them seemed to have a routine presentation set up and any thing beyond or different than that was viewed as a hassle.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Stores do not all deliver the same products and services. This is good, since customers don’t all want the same thing. Many dealers concentrate their efforts on the shopping experience and the other areas that people find attractive. Financing, free giftwrapping, attractive displays, lifetime trade up programs, and ‘personal’ service are all examples of parts of the deal that have nothing to do with the products themselves. Many customers, actually most customers, are interested in these sorts of things and are willing to compromise in other areas to get them. The stores you are encountering are hoping to appeal to customers through means other than with a knowledgeable sales staff. It’s not their storefront location that caused them to adopt this strategy and there are plenty of online dealers with a similar approach. The pricescope dealers are a pretty select group. Do a google search for ‘discount diamonds’. I get 2.5million hits. I would be surprised if there are more than a few hundred of those who do what you would call a good job of it and many of those will actually be b&m stores who are using the internet to expand to a bigger market.

I agree with your point that it’s difficult to find a dealer who suits your own style but I think it’s a serious error to decide to base the decision on where they choose to set up shop.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

amytude

Shiny_Rock
I have had mostly good luck with independent jewelers. Mention the word, "internet" however and most become immediately defensive. I would actually prefer to buy from a local guy, if at all possible. Just like any profession, you get both good & bad. The ones that are current with internet sites and pricing seem to be the most professional and the ones willing to work at getting my business. Going thurs. to look at some stones at a "pop & pop" store...lol (literally, father & son). Wish me luck, as I am also getting very frustrated.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 8:41:37 AM
Author: denverappraiser

I agree with your point that it’s difficult to find a dealer who suits your own style but I think it’s a serious error to decide to base the decision on where they choose to set up shop.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Independent Appraisals in Denver
Well said.
I would buy from an enthusiastic person that knows relatively little and doesnt try to come off as an expert than a crusty expert that makes you feel like your wasting their time.
I dont need too much help in selecting diamonds at this point anyway.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2005 9:30:44 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 1/26/2005 8:41:37 AM
Author: denverappraiser

I agree with your point that it’s difficult to find a dealer who suits your own style...

I would buy from an enthusiastic person that knows relatively little and doesnt try to come off as an expert ...
On the other hand... it may be fair to say that allot of the intricate information is taylored to online sales - since you do not get to see and touch the stones and realistic representation (photos and what not) does not get all that realistic, relatively complex analitics are essential to make up a safe bet about what a diamond look like in person.

I would have added that much of the info is indeed redundant on the ground,
23.gif
if serious entities (GIA, AGS with their research, EGL, HRD and whoever gives away stats with their certs, Garry and the cut gang around here) would not say otherwise.
12.gif

As long as there is no way to gain experience by inspecting a relevant sample of diamonds (from the buyers'' side), numbers and hand-held scopes make reasonable substitutes, IMO, with all their glaring pitfalls.
7.gif

It would still be much more fun to learn diamonds in flesh, at no cost and in no more than 10 minutes. If anyone knows how that could happen, I am all ears
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results