shape
carat
color
clarity

frustrated! garnet/ring help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking for a simple gold ring with a bezel set garnet. Now I've looked in all my usual haunts and at the Fav Gold Designer thread, and I'm just coming up with nothin.

This is a general idea of the design and about the right price, if a tiny bit pricey (budget:under 250):

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3601

But of course, without a pink sapphire and with a red stone of some kind--I'm not fussy as to what kind exactly, garnet is I imagine the cheapest and I like the color of a nice merlot garnet. Suggestions on type of stone welcome: I really want to hit that sweet spot where the rich yellow of the gold goes perfectly with the red of the stone.

I need it to stand up to everyday wear, go with everything, and have a nice rich yellow gold color. So I'm thinking 18-19k gold and a protective setting. I'm wearing it on my middle finger so it needs to be chunkier than my usual 2-3mm for ring finger.

I love the ancient Roman bezel look in Gurhan and Yossi, but I flat cannot afford those prices! Any ideas, oh ye PS colored stoners of fame?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is my current lust for red and gold ring:

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/1252.html

18k gold, red jade, junky, fits the bill for looking a bit more like something from an archaeology dig.......and it isn''t outlandishly priced.

movie zombie

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Fun! I would go to www.artcutgems.com Richard M. for a garnet - they are his passion, there is not much on the site but at least you can contact him.
I would look for the ring after, unless i misunderstood and you want the whole ring ready made.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
for the price you are looking for I might consider finding the setting first and checking places like adwar for a cheap casting. Then, I'd have one of the best cut the garnet for me that would fit in the stock setting. customgemstones.com artisticgemstones.com would be nice places to buy a garnet.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice design on that ring, kismet. i'd have the sides hammered to give it that gurhan look.

re the stone: the red/brown description would put me off on the stone....too many garnets ruined by too much brown.....

movie zombie

eta: richard doesn't have much at his website but he'd got some beauties posted in the gallery!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Just got up, will look at options more closely in a bit ;-)

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
I would also like to mention Michael E. for cutting a nice stone. I''m having him make me a garnet ring (my birthstone), set in a platinum setting as we speak. It''s cushion cur with a nice merlot/raspberry feel. He does excellent work!

Anne

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Okay I haven''t actually bought from this person but his stuff looks nice. He uses a lot of 22k and 18k, and has pretty good prices. On top of that it''s all hand made and he has good feedback. I believe I read items can be sent back if your not satisfied. I think there are a few garnet rings in his store.
http://stores.ebay.com/22K-18K-Gold-Jewelry_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 9:41:51 AM
Author: windycityaj
I would also like to mention Michael E. for cutting a nice stone. I''m having him make me a garnet ring (my birthstone), set in a platinum setting as we speak. It''s cushion cur with a nice merlot/raspberry feel. He does excellent work!

Anne
That sounds like it''s going to be really fine! Garnet is my birthstone too, but the ones I''ve seen at maul stores are too DARK for my taste. Yours sounds like it will be a lovely color.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
http://cgi.ebay.com/22K-gold-ring-4-24-carat-ruby-size-6-0_W0QQitemZ250055422982QQihZ015QQcategoryZ110666QQcmdZViewItem

I liiiiiiike this one. Too expensive again, grrrr....

http://cgi.ebay.com/22K-gold-ring-garnet-size-5_W0QQitemZ4106225409QQihZ015QQcategoryZ110498QQcmdZViewItem

this one is nice too

MZ those are beautiful but waaaaay past my budget. And yes, I am looking for something pre-made this time.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That second one you just posted the link to is very pretty. I like the shank.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 8:45:56 PM
Author:rainbowtrout
stoners of fame?
you have no idea how I read this LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 10:43:45 PM
Author: kcoursolle
for the price you are looking for I might consider finding the setting first and checking places like adwar for a cheap casting. Then, I''d have one of the best cut the garnet for me that would fit in the stock setting. customgemstones.com artisticgemstones.com would be nice places to buy a garnet.
hey kc is that your garnet on the custom page??

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 12:01:56 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 2/12/2007 10:43:45 PM
Author: kcoursolle
for the price you are looking for I might consider finding the setting first and checking places like adwar for a cheap casting. Then, I''d have one of the best cut the garnet for me that would fit in the stock setting. customgemstones.com artisticgemstones.com would be nice places to buy a garnet.
hey kc is that your garnet on the custom page??
If you are referring to the customer jewelry section on customgemstones.com, then yes! She''s a beauty, I wear it almost everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results