shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrated about getting unplated white gold

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, I am trying to get a plain solitaire setting for my H colored emerald cut. I had wanted to leave my white gold unplated, and was excited to possibly work with Stuller X1, but now the jeweler I was planning to work with is telling me I can only do that if I use Stuller stock pieces. I don't like any of the heads on their website, and frankly, the shanks don't look like what I had in mind either.

I know I am crossing over into "problem customer" at this point. The jeweler isn't giving me a very helpful description of the white gold when unplated (the rep just says it's a "nickel alloy" and "candlelight white"). Can anyone help me figure out how "whellow" this is going to look??

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:D thank you so much, Yssie. I was seriously about to cry with frustration. I don't know why I am letting this get to me so much. The whole project has been way more frustrating and way less fun than I had hoped.

I don't want the colors to match, but I did want the gold to make my H look whiter by comparison... do you think WG will over-correct too much, and make the WG look yellower up against my H?

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Reinstein & Ross in NYC makes a beautiful unplated white gold. Try contacting them. I imagine they are happy to supply pictures.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CrisM|1315592212|3013731 said:
Reinstein & Ross in NYC makes a beautiful unplated white gold. Try contacting them. I imagine they are happy to supply pictures.
For various reasons, switching jewelers isn't an option at this point. Thanks for the recommendation though! Someone else will probably be interested :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1315591620|3013719 said:
:D thank you so much, Yssie. I was seriously about to cry with frustration. I don't know why I am letting this get to me so much. The whole project has been way more frustrating and way less fun than I had hoped.

I don't want the colors to match, but I did want the gold to make my H look whiter by comparison... do you think WG will over-correct too much, and make the WG look yellower up against my H?
I'm sorry MissS. Unplated was a leap of faith for me too - and now I'm completely in love! On the plus side, if you find you hate it the fix is just a rhodium plate away, and if you find yourself longing for it after you've plated it you can have the plating electrochemically removed...

I haven't seen the Stuller specialty alloys, and I don't know the exact alloys of my pieces, other than that they are definitely nickel alloy. The 14k wg is visibly less creamy than the 18k - the 18k could pass for 10k yellow, it's definitely visibly creamy and noone will ever mistake it for icy "white gold" or "platinum".

I think an H is very, very white still - I picked the colour because I wanted my J and the metal to 'match', and they do (the 18k is a tad yellower than the stone from profile in most lights, now I think 14k would actually have been a better colour match but I wanted at least 18k gold). The effect, though, is that the entire piece looks 'warm' - put that same stone in an icy wg temp and it's a totally different look, though it's tinted enough that the body colour becomes visible - I don't think that would be the case for your H, truly. If you're going for "white" - icy white stone, icy white setting, icy white aesthetic I'd recommend sticking with plated white or one of those specialty alloys, or maybe a different metal - palladium? plat? - it's been my experience that the more contrast there is between metal colour and stone colour, the whiter the stone looks. More discussion in Yenny's thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/[/URL]

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.