shape
carat
color
clarity

from working woman to stay home mom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 11:08:00 PM
Author: snowflakeluvr
hi bobo,

i agree that this has been a very supportive thread-what a great group here at PS! i have been a sahm for almost 20 years. let me clarify. dh and i married, had dd#1 14months later, i returned to work, hated being away from her, sitter issues, finally stayed at home when she was 7 months old(i went back to work when she was 4months, so i didn''t miss much). then i babysat part-time for a co-worked and then another friend, was VERY difficult but kept us afloat as dh was building his career) then 2 years later, ds#1 came along and dh received a raise the EXACT dollar amount of what i earned babysitting!

then we moved out of state, and i began to babysit part-time again, then #3 came along and i babysat for a few years. Then when #3 began school full-time, i began teaching part-time. it was all FREE money because the kiddies were all in school and no child care. i loved working and landed a dream job, teaching teen moms, and making a really nice part-time salary. Then, i was blessed to have #4, 4 years after i re-entered the work force and was thrilled to have another child. i was very reluctant to leave my job as it was very fulfilling, great staff, great hours, great pay, but my dh was pretty adamant about me ''raising'' our son like i had the others(he travels a great deal and we have no family support nearby. Then i very unexpectedly had #5 at the age of almost 42! and she just turned 2

and guess what? we have had our struggles, we have had our ''pie in the sky times'' but overall i feel so blessed to have been with my children. our oldest is now almost a jr. at university, our 2nd just won the state soccer championship and our third is being home-schooled this year...somehow it all works out. somehow you manage to do what you need to do. my hubby has been VERY supportive of me being at home. however, he sees things in a more tradtional light-ie he''s lazy and i do most of the housework. but after 20+ years of marriage and five kids, i rarely fight about it. in good times, he is quick to let me treat myself to whatever and in lean times, he still encourages me to do things for myself. he is a most generous provider and i am so grateful for that.

we now have a chronically ill son(our high school sr. soccer star, and scholar) who is type 1 diabetic. blood sugar checks and several shots a day, checking on him and praying for his health all have taught me that nothing is more important that the love i have for and receive from my family. whether you work full-time, part-time or are a stay at home parent, loving your child(ren) and spouse will be your shining accomplishment(s) in your lifetime. i feel like a survivor, i feel super-blessed to being doing it again in my 40''s with two toddlers running around as the holidays approach. yesterday, we had breakfast with Santa. whodu thunk i''d being doing all of these things again at my age? sure, i could have a better figure, more sparklies, etc, if i hadn''t had two more children and kept working, but they are everything to me!

so, whatever YOU decide, it will be the right decision for YOU. i am sure your little one will be blessed to have one loving, caring mom as you care so much already.

these really are the best days of your(my) life. i am teary as i think of how lucky i have been because i know these five great people i call my children. i just wanted you to hear a perspective from an ''older'' mom
1.gif
Thank You snowflakeluvr, your post bring tears to my eyes...I hope I will be a good mother to my baby..

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 12:37:40 PM
Author: pennquaker09

Date: 11/18/2007 8:10:40 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
I wanted to comment on the topic of financial responsibility. The concerns for a new stay at home mom can be addressed by taking the typical financial steps that EVERYONE should take.

1. Emergency fund, 3-6 months of living expenses (possibly more for one income families.)

2. GOOD life insurance on BOTH parents. For the wage earner, 5 times their income in a good term life policy. For the stay at home parent, a life insurance policy in the amount of your home mortgage + anticipated child care costs until your children are school age.

3. Short/long term disability insurance coverage for the parent bringing in income. This is really important!

I think that those 3 items are essential for every adult with children, but those 3 things will really help to protect a one income family.

Do you watch Suze Orman too?
Haha no I''m not a fan of Suze Orzman, but I used to listen to Dave Ramsey. My husband and I read a lot of financial books
1.gif

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
I hope I will be a good mother to my baby.. I am sure you will be! Happy Holidays sweetie/idealbb/editor/cute/images/emsmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results