shape
carat
color
clarity

From Girlfriend to Fiancé - Help Choosing FY Double Halo...

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock
Hi all...

This is my first post on here so be gentle with me and my (no doubt) lack of knowledge!

I've been with my girlfriend coming up 2 years and as cheesy as it is, I know she's the one.

I'm looking to propose in Tulum this August and I'm now in discussions with David from DBL about creating her engagement ring.

We were in Maui last year and had a looksy in Tiffany & Co. She tried on a few rings 'just for fun' and ended up falling in love with the Soleste style rings (cushion cut).

So now fast forward a year and it's time for me to get down on my knee and ask her to put up with me for the rest of her life :mrgreen:

I know she loves yellow diamonds and she has reguarlly dropped hints that if we were to ever get engaged, she'd love a fancy yellow diamond ring.

This then leads me to where I am today. A rough idea of what I want, but still pretty far from exactly what to design / buy.

I'm hoping to get a nice 0.8 - 1.0ct FY cushion cut centre stone, set in a very dainty Soleste type setting.

She has a size 5.5 finger (size K+/L UK), so I'm hoping a 0.8 will look big enough with the double halo.

So I guess it now all comes down to size/clarity/colour trade off and getting a ring made.

As far as budget goes, after upgrading our hotel (unbeknown to her, nice surprise I thought), my budget has dropped to $7,500. Do you think I can still get a decent ring for this?

I've not created this post to undermine David at DBL in anyway, he has been SO helpful and patient with me over email and I'm almost certain he will be making the ring for me. Just looking for some opinions etc and introducing myself...

Thanks all in advance,

Ryan

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: From Girlfriend to Fiancé - Need Help Choosing FY Solest

I looked at DBL's soleste style rings and they are pretty expensive. $4000-$5100 from what I saw. It may be doable with a stone
slightly less than a carat. I think David will be able to find you a suitable stone and do the setting for you. To be honest, unless
you live in an area where large engagement rings are the norm, I dont think the soleste needs a huge center stone. It's a whole
lot of bling with the double halo. It does need to be somewhat in proportion though. Unfortunately cushions face up small for
their carat weight. I really think you need a carat (or more) for the right proportions (of course dimensions vary widely on
cushions).

You can look on JA to see some of the proportions. DBL's halos are going to be nicer, less metal so maybe not as wide as JAs so
keep that in mind (he can give you input on that).
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-diamond-split-shank-double-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17845

Bring up cushions and then go down to the 1 carat size stones to see how they look. That should give you some kind of idea
of the overall proportions. Also, ask David if he has any pictures that he can send you with similar proportions in the setting you
are looking at.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock
Re: From Girlfriend to Fiancé - Help Choosing FY Double Halo

Thanks for the reply and info.

I definitely think 1ct would look amazing with the double halo. I tried on (my little finger) a 0.57ct FY Tiffany Soleste and even that size centre stone didn't look too shabby, so an entire carat will definitely look the part.

I'm hoping for a nice rectangular shaped FY cushion, ideal spec would be VS2 or better, VG cut & polish or better, and zero fluoresce. Nice crushed ice centre to really make it sparkle too (I know it's all down to cut, but I don't think GIA grade fancy diamonds on cut?).

I'm really hoping David can make a thin and elegant shank. I love the way the Tiffany rings almost blend the halos into the centre stone and set the main stone quite flush. I've seen too many double halo rings look big and cumbersome. Not to my liking, but each to their own.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Make sure you also shop by the mm size, not just the carat weight when it comes to coloured diamonds because a 0.5 ct stone could look the same size (face up) as a 1 ct stone due to the cut.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For the double halo, are you thinking yellow diamonds, white diamonds, both? Here are a few examples to get your creative juices flowing :)

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-diamond-ring-46ct-fancy-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-diamond-double-halo-ring-r5452 smaller than youre looking at, but with a yellow inner halo

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-101ct-cushion-cut-fancy-intense-yellow-vs2-gia-vibrant-color-r4334 full carat with double white halo

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-diamond-ring-409ct-y-z-i1-pear-shape-double-diamond-halo-gia-r5704 different shape, but shows the yellow inner halo

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-206ct-u-v-si2-cushion-cut-gia-totally-eye-clean-r5800 double white halo, more rectangular shape like you said you prefer

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-114ct-fancy-yellow-diamond-ring-micro-pave-gia-r4402 double white, more rounded shape

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-diamond-ring-38ct-fancy-yellow-si2-cushion-cut-gia-double-diamond-halo-r5465 double yellow

You can also do inner white, outer yellow halo, or throw some different coloured stones in there (pink is popular with yellow, I couldn't find a double halo on the site).

I think you need to decide first what design you want, get a quote and then see how much that leaves for a stone. You might not be able to recreate your dream ring with a double halo AND a 1ct within budget.

eta - Here is a pendant with inner white, outer yellow for comparison.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-1-21ct-fly-heart-vintage-inspired-pendant.213849/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-1-21ct-fly-heart-vintage-inspired-pendant.213849/[/URL]

mns12

Shiny_Rock

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

I'm set on a colourless diamonds in both the halos, I prefer these since they really set off the centre stone and have a great contrast against it.

The ring in the above link is lovely but the wrong shape for me. I'm definitely more of a fan of the more rectangular shaped cushion cuts.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ask how much it would be to recreate. That ring sold for $14,500.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Ouch... That's twice my budget :wall:

I'll ask David and see what he can do.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

David has created or found some wonderful rings for would be fiances on limited budgets. I think you're in good hands.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the colour of the stone probably increased the price too. If you go with a lighter colour put still do the yellow cup underneath it will help it look yellower, but probably be a bit cheaper. Doing the white halo will also help it look more yellow.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How does your GF feel about ovals? They tend to face up larger (and they are long like a rectangular cushion)?

Can you downgrade your room :cheeky: . Just kidding! I love them but diamonds are just so darn expensive!

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Just off the phone from David.

I shall be hopefully picking a ring / stone over the next couple of days and it will be ready (if custom) by the time I get to Phoenix to visit my dad before Mexico.

He was so informative and listened to all my concerns etc, understood exactly where I was coming from and a pleasure to talk to.

I shall keep you all updated on my selection!

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Doing some research and have picked out these stones (ones already made into a ring, the 0.93 stone).
Which of these would you go for and why?

Thanks all in advance!

diamonds_2.png

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Or this one:

Stone $6,675 129507 1.06 IF VG G None FY 5.97x5.56x3.65 65.6% 60.0%

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry but I would never buy any stone without seeing them in person, or pictures, or a video. You cannot tell a thing about the colour and its performance by the numbers.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1437567413|3906012 said:
Sorry but I would never buy any stone without seeing them in person, or pictures, or a video. You cannot tell a thing about the colour and its performance by the numbers.

I have pictures and videos of the stones...

Here they are:

1.02 : http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/102ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-vvs2-133448-19283/?dyo

1.03: http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/103ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-vs2-149642-20553/?dyo

1.06: http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/106ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-if-129507-18964/?dyo

0.76: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-76ct-fancy-yellow-vvs2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r6230

All are very different in terms of cut (to my untrained eye)...

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock

I like both the 1.06 and 1.02. Depending on which color u like better.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

pricescopenewbie|1437568122|3906018 said:

What a beautiful ring, exactly what I'm after but I would have a more rectangular centre stone.

I have emailed the team & Chris at ERD to see if they could accommodate my needs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I had to buy for myself, the 1.02 would be my pick.

wizardman123

Rough_Rock

Hello! Just wanted to add my +1 bump for David at DBL!

I had my e-ring made with DBL and I can only say positive things. It was a FIY cushion stone in a cathedral setting with a single halo. It was a custom setting and David was more than happy to work off of the images I provided him.

His hand forged setting is beautiful and the craftsmanship is truly impeccable.

r6309-intense-yellow-diamond-ring-b.jpg
Heres the full story: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...review-pictures.213014/#post-3874105#p3874105

Good luck with your ring and the proposal! She is a lucky lady!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the 1.02 has a nice colour and the shape you are looking for, however it doesn't leave much for the setting. I also think the 0.76 is nice, and gives more $ for the setting.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Think I've narrowed this search down to two stones, both of similar value, so please judge of looks and GIA grading.

1.02: VVS2 VG VG None FY 5.93 x 5.37 x 3.46 64.4%(TD) 64.0%(TS)

1_402.jpg 1_403.jpg

1.04: VS2 VG VG None FY 5.86 x 5.35 x 3.66 68.4%(TD) 64.0%(TS)

r6515-cushion-diamond-a.jpg r6515-cushion-diamond-d.jpg

Thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tough choice! If you have the time and funds, I'd say order both to view in person and pick the one that stands out in your eyes. However, I also know that it ties up a lot of funds.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

Yes, a very tough choice, especially when this little beauty is so much cheaper and still a bloody lovely stone.
It's also more rectangular which is my preferred cushion cut choice. The 1 carat stones above are still slightly elongated, but not to the extent of the 0.76 below.

I REALLY don't want the ring to look square once set, that's a huge fear of mine.

0.76 VVS2 EX EX None FY 5.64 x 4.70 x 3.29 69.9%(TD) 64.0%(TS)

image1_13.jpg image2_7.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you get a picture of the 1.04 on a white background (like in a gem box) like the 1.02 stone? Right now I'm liking the
1.02 stone because I feel like I can tell a lot more about it's look and I like it. However, if you could get a picture of the
1.04 that might look just as good.

The .76 is nice too but I feel like the proportions may be off. Every double halo that I've looked at seems to look better
with a stone around a carat.

Ryan_W

Rough_Rock

The thing I like about the 0.76 is its shape.

This is a 0.57 Tiffany Soleste I looked at:

img_0224.png

I don't think it looks too bad at all. With a stone just under 0.2c bigger, I'm sure it would look fine.

The good thing with the 0.76 is the fact that is has quite a large surface area (5.64 x 4.70) due to being 3.29 deep.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

The 1.02 has a very thick girdle so its hiding weight. The table is fairly large and the crown is shallow which aren't to my liking for a cushion cut but everyone has their preference.

I think the .76 is in the shape you want and I think you'd like it's cut but the size is kinda small. I'd lean towards it as a result. Also with the double halo make sure that when you add up the width of both halos on each side of the diamond that they are roughly 80-85% the width of the center. If the with if the halos add up to or exceed the width of the center then they kinda swallow the center stone and overpower it IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results