shape
carat
color
clarity

Friend looking at white zircon for engagement ring

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
So I tried to convince my friend (whose budget just isn't in it to get what she wants right now, but she wants to be engaged and the ring is important to her) to get a colored stone engagement ring now, and then if she even wants to upgrade later, get herself a diamond for a big anniversary and then used the colored stone as a right hand ring. She loves pink so I thought a pink spinel would be right up her alley. But in showing her websites she came across white zircon. She still plans on eventually changing it out to a diamond. She likes halos so the stone will be reasonably protected from direct impacts... is zircon appropriate? I know it'll have the sparkle, but will it have the strength to be an every day ring for 5 to 10 years? Is there a better, genuine gemstone alternative?

She's seen white sapphire, and it isn't dispersive enough for her. I know her budget for the whole ring will be about $1500 US, with a little bit of wiggle room.

Help, I don't want to lead her astray!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Even if it's partially protected by a halo, under no circumstances would I put zircon in a daily wear ring, especially an engagement ring. If sapphire isn't dispersive enough for her, you could suggest a pastel spinel, which would give her some of the flash and sparkle she wants, without as much risk of chipping as the zircon.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately, things are not equal between zircon and spinel. If she's wanting a white stone, she would be more in luck with a white sapphire based on its hardness instead of a white zircon.

spinel likely would be a better choice especially if she's going to wear it every day. I think the colorless spinel's are quite rare. Maybe she should look at pale pink?? (it likely may not cost too much)

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircons are not generally a durable stone for every day wear. In fact, some jewellers go pale when you ask them to set one! I really wouldn't recommend this as an engagement ring. Also, some white Zircons CAN look cloudy and that really affects the sparkle.

I think that white sapphires would be better. Simplysapphires.com has some so it may be worth getting in touch with them and asking if they have anything that has good dispersion. Unless you go for a simulant, you're unlikely to find a colourless stone that resembles a diamond unfortunately.

Good luck with the search.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FallenRox|1305580774|2923389 said:
I know nothing about this vendor, but here is what a white spinel looks like- I've looked at many lately =)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-42ct-RARE-ROUND-6-7MM-SILVER-WHITE-CEYLON-SPINEL-AAA-/220784944038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3367cee3a6

I have a horrible feeling that that store is the same one as Thaigemstore - if it is (and I can't say for definite) I wouldn't buy from them in a million years. Their photos/videos are highly doctored. Have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum and search for their name. You'll see for yourself. They've also posted on here before and have been, ummmmm, less than polite! :lol: Even if it's not the same vendor, that stone is likely to be grey looking - and I don't think your friend would want that?

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is probably not a popular thing to say in the "color" forum, but it sounds like your friend really wants something that looks like a diamond. If I was in her shoes and had $1500 to spend, I would get a half-carat ideal-cut diamond in a simple solitare setting from a place with a lifetime upgrade policy (like Whiteflash for example). And when the budget allows, I would trade it in for a larger one. I am sure the folks in the diamond forum can help find a best diamond within any given budget. So that's what I would do... but then again I'd be perfectly happy to spend $1500 on a pink spinel too :)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I'm with you. I think if you want a diamond, get a diamond, not a diamond substitute! That's why I was trying to convince of the pink spinel in the first place. Maybe these responses will sway her, I'll talk to her about white sapphires, *really* pale spinels, or convince her to go with whiteflash for the upgrade policy.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would rather buy a smaller diamond than a white zircon. If I wanted a gemstone, I'd go for something that looked like a gemstone, like a blue sapphire or colored spinel. I wouldn't go for something that sort of looks like one - but may have people wondering whether it was or was not - or requires me to explain that it's not a diamond all the time, or worry whether people thought it was "off" because it is in fact, not a diamond... which of course, most people assume white/clear stones are.

Here's a 0.6 carat ACA I Si1 from Whiteflash within her price range. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632179.htm It's a good sized stone with a great upgrade policy.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what others have said--she should get a diamond if that's what she wants. I think going with a vendor like WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin with upgrade policies would be perfect--she can bump up the carat weight as many times as she wants as finances change. And she could get a really blingy wedding band. :D

purplemelody

Rough_Rock
I agree with what everyone said. If she likes diamond as her engagement ring, then she really should consider a 0.5-0.6 diamond and then upgrade later in the future. White zircons' sparkle may appear more "flat" compared to diamonds because diamonds have more fire and sparkles?

If she decides to give white gemstones a go, there are some white sapphires at Gemfix which are quite nice. Sapphires are great for everyday ring. I bought a peridot from them and it sparkles really well. Good luck helping her find an ideal stone! :)

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_white.html

Bibbi

Rough_Rock
"This is probably not a popular thing to say in the "color" forum, but it sounds like your friend really wants something that looks like a diamond. If I was in her shoes and had $1500 to spend, I would get a half-carat ideal-cut diamond in a simple solitare setting from a place with a lifetime upgrade policy (like Whiteflash for example)."

I agree and btw I LOVE YOUR AVATAR Maebelle!!!!!! Love that picture!!!!! :appl:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
haha, Thanks bibi!

I also like the idea of the pale chesoberyl.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The problem with a pale chyrsoberyl is it isn't going to give her the sparkle she wants and it will look like a greenish white stone.

Tell her to go with a smaller diamond as it's pretty obvious that's what she wants. On the other hand, she could get a white zircon and just replace it/repolish it on a reasonably regular basis depending on how she intends to wear it or how clumsy she is.

I have a garnet e-ring and I take it off unless I am going out - it goes straight in a box the second I come in the door. But then this is my 'forever' e-ring.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pandora, I was hoping you'd check in. You are the resident soft-stone engagement ring aficionado! After talking to her today she doesn't know if she'll have her BF go with a bigger zircon or a smaller diamond (she was definitely against the sapphire). I'll show her your comments tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results