shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshwater Metallic Pearls - are they supposed to have blemishes?

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I recently purchased a pair of Freshwater Metallic Pearl Drop Earrings from PP during their sale. I received them today and see that one pearl has blemishes or small scratches. This is my first experience with Freshwater Metallics so I am wondering if they are supposed to be this way? Also, they are not very smooth and I am not sure if this is normal as well.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart on me!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
We could probably give better opinions on it if you posted a photo.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the grade of the pearls.

If they are gem grade, then no.

DK :))

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
We could probably give better opinions on it if you posted a photo.

Unfortunately my phone is unable to capture the details I am concerned about. I will keep trying though.

It depends on the grade of the pearls.

If they are gem grade, then no.

From the PP website:

These gem quality 9.0-10.0 mm pearls have been collected for their intense metallic luster, near symmetrical drop shapes, clean surfaces, and iridescent silver-rose overtones. These pearls are not bead-nucleated and are pure freshwater pearl nacre. The pearls are set on sturdy Dew collections earrings in 14 karat gold and create a delicate and elegant look.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My metallic Freshadamas don’t have blemishes, but they are rounds, don’t know if that makes a difference.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Gem quality does not necessarily mean absolutely perfect --- but it's pretty close. So what you've described does not sound right to me (that being said with the caveat that I have not actually seen the pearls in question).

If I were you, I'd explain the issue and exchange them for a different pair. Then if the new pair still isn't to your liking, return them for a refund. I've purchased from Pearl Paradise many times and they have an excellent exchange/return policy. Good luck!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your advice! I'll give a call over today after they open and explain the issues. I also purchased a golden SS pearl necklace where the bail is all sorts of wonky. I have some beautiful pieces from PP but am disappointed with the quality this time around.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
I ended up writing PP an email about the blemishes/scratches on the "gem grade" metallics and this was their response:

"I'm sure you know this, but as an organic gem, all pearls will have blemishing of some form or other, whether you can see them with the naked eye or not. They are created by nature with very little assistance from humans. Visible blemishes and imperfections show the organic nature of the gem and are sometimes described as "natural fingerprints" or "nature's kiss marks." "

So they are supposed to have blemishes? It'll be harder to envision without photographs, but the one pearl looks like it was scratched a few times with an earring post.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I can't weigh in more than I have without seeing a close up photo, which you aren't able to provide. So I'd just say that it does seem that you are not happy with them. And that is definitely reason enough not to keep them, regardless of where the line is drawn between good enough or not good enough to be considered gem quality. I'd probably go for an exchange and see if you like a new pair better. If the imperfections bug you now, I wouldn't expect that to change. Good luck!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I have been purchasing from PP for many years. I have several gem grade freshwater metallic pearl pieces, some round and some drop shaped, and none of them have any blemishes. I would like to reiterate what @seaurchin said regarding not seeming to be happy with them. Any piece of jewelry, pearl or not, should make your heart sing as soon as you open the box. It seems like you already know that these flaws make you unhappy and I think they would make me unhappy, as well.

Some of my more recent PP purchases have not lived up to previous purchases. I had to return a pendant for horrible metal work on the bail (lumpy, uneven, bad scratches...) and I returned a loose pearl that was described as "flawless" but had several obvious and severe blemishes and an area of discoloration when I received it. PP has an excellent return policy and I would not hesitate to take advantage of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results