shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama or Akoya?

jlx

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am new to pearls, but would like to get my fiancee a pair of earrings. We recently got engaged, but her birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so price is a huge selling point!

What does everyone think about the freshadama line compared to the akoya? This would be her first set of pearls, so I think it would be a nice start to get her plain white stud earrings for daily wear.

I wish I could compare them side-by-side! Could anyone also provide some sort of link so I can compare sizes? 10 mm I know for sure would be too big, but everything else is just up in the air for me.

Thanks in advance!

7.5-8.0 mm White Akoya Pearl Stud Earrings - $150

OR

8.5-9.0 mm White Freshadama Freshwater Pearl Stud Earrings - $94

Since it is her first pair, I suggest the freshadamas in a slightly smaller size 7.5-8mm. It's a very classic size. This way, if she ends up really liking pearls, you can always get her a $$ pair in a bigger size if that's what she wants.

It's just that pearl size, for earrings is really up to the person that is wearing them and what they are comfortable with.

THESE are $64 (pearl paradise), but a matching pendant necklace would be awesome!!)

jlx

Rough_Rock
swedish bean, thanks for your reply!

she actually wears imitation pearl earrings at the moment, which resemble 10 mm, but we both would like something a bit smaller for her.

i think i will go with the freshadama ones for now, since it will be her first pair, and move up to akoyas later on... heh.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I think that freshadama are much better than middle of the line akoyas. This is from pics I''ve seen.

BUT, Hanadama (the finest akoya), blow freshadama away in terms of luster and orient. But this is only my opinion based on real life pics I''ve seen as I don''t own either. I wish I could link you the pics from the other forum but I don''t think we''re allowed to here
7.gif

Also, freshadama are tissue nuked. Akoyas are bead nuked. From what I''ve read, the freshadama will last much longer than akoyas. So for earrings, and ones she''d wear daily, I''d do freshadama.

jlx- good to know! When I first started wearing pearl earrings, I was all over the place. I think it really is a mix of lobe size, and personal preference.

Remember to use the $15 off code through PP if you do the $94 ones ;-)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I visited Pearl Paradise''s showroom, and I honestly couldn''t tell the difference between the AA or AAA akoyas and the Freshadamas, and choose the Freshadamas for myself. You can''t really go wrong either way, but I am glad you''re leaning towards the Freshadamas!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 10:00:55 PM
Author: IndyLady
I visited Pearl Paradise''s showroom, and I honestly couldn''t tell the difference between the AA or AAA akoyas and the Freshadamas, and choose the Freshadamas for myself. You can''t really go wrong either way, but I am glad you''re leaning towards the Freshadamas!
really? interesting. i''ve never seen either in person, just pics. One thing that stood out from the pictures was the orient on the hanadama was just so obvious. And the luster was amazing. The freshadama was also gorgeous but the difference was obvious. I guess it''s more subtle in person..

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I own the 7.5-8mm Freshadamas. I love the quality and the size! I will find the link to my thread and you can see the pics. I''ll be back in a minute.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Here is my thread. It has ear shots too so that might help you. linky

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I agree that Freshadamas are IMO nicer than medium quality Akoyas. (I''ve never seen Hanadama in person so I''ve got no opinion there.) I''d go with Freshadamas for earrings all the way. Also the fact that they''re solid nacre is nice, rather than the really thin nacre over a bead like Akoyas.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too agree with everyone else. I would go with the freshadamas. They appear to be so nice that she might just think they are akoyas without the price. I have a pair of freshies that are around 7.5 mm, a pair of akoyas that are around 8.5-9mm, and a pair of South Sea pearls that are 10-11mm. Start off with the Freshadamas, and then she can work her way into the more expensive pearls. (A gal can never have enough pearls!!
9.gif
) IMO, they all are just lovely for each of their unique characters.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 12:37:20 PM
Author: elle_chris
I think that freshadama are much better than middle of the line akoyas. This is from pics I''ve seen.

BUT, Hanadama (the finest akoya), blow freshadama away in terms of luster and orient. But this is only my opinion based on real life pics I''ve seen as I don''t own either. I wish I could link you the pics from the other forum but I don''t think we''re allowed to here
7.gif

Also, freshadama are tissue nuked. Akoyas are bead nuked. From what I''ve read, the freshadama will last much longer than akoyas. So for earrings, and ones she''d wear daily, I''d do freshadama.
Totally agree.
Why not start with freshdamas and perhaps move on to some fine akoyas later. It''s true the freshwaters will last a long time.
BTW I bought a set of the metallic fresh water earrings from PP in an off white and they have been mistaken in jewelry stores for akoyas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results