shape
carat
color
clarity

French fries and mayonnaise?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I do occasionally eat fries and mayo. I'm not a big fry eater though, usually if I get a sandwich that comes with them, I eat a dozen fries, max. However, I much prefer Burger King fries dipped in a chocolate frosty from Wendy's. Good thing they are directly across the street from each other!! :naughty: :naughty:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I totally didn't get this until I lived in Switzerland, but yummmmy. Their mayo in a tube is so much better than American mayo. Lemon mayo, tuna mayo (with tuna and capers), gaaah, I wonder if there is somewhere local I can find good European mayo.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'd never heard of it until I studied in England for a year, but I really learned to love them together. My favorite was to mix ketchup and mayo to make a pink sauce for fries, though. MMMM-MMMMM. We have some Belgian-style pubs around here that do a spicy mayo for their fries and it's just delish.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've heard of it but just can't get behind it. I hate mayo and love ketchup.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't eat chips (fries) without mayo. American mayo isn't right for putting on them though, it's too sweet and tastes totally different to mayo. Maybe that's why not many folks here like the idea and why people look at me funny when I do that in America? It's a different thing altogether. When I'm really hungry, I dream about a huge bowl of chips (which you call fries) with mayonnaise. Heavenly.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I think store-bought mayo is the work of the devil. It's disgusting. Home made mayo is ok, but still not quite my thing.

Like Undercover Brother before he met White She Devil, I cringe even at the thought of mayo. Yuck.

I like my chips with chilli sauce. The hotter the better!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oooh, chili sauce sounds good. Going to be forced to eat chips so I can give that a try... :bigsmile:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yum. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I could never get behind chips with vinegar in England. I tried & tried, but ick!

April20

Ideal_Rock
holly sparkle|1307140895|2937223 said:
:nono:

I don't get this at all! Then again I eat a ton of ketchup with my fries and my friends think that's gross.....it tends to be more ketchup than fries if I'm honest so maybe I shouldn't judge the mayo/fries lovin people!

I had a friend once that ate ketchup like this.... She had so much ketchup on home fries on early morning that I looked over and it hit my gag reflex and I THREW UP!!! Ugh. I can only have ketchup in small doses!

On the mayo note, I ate lunch today with some people that ate mayo with their fries. It's not the first time I've seen this, but it still weirds me out a little. The weird thing is if it's flavored mayo- like chipotle say, I'm all over having it with fries. It's just the plain mayo I can't do. I'm more of a ranch dressing with fries kind of gal anyway.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay it seems like it's a Europe v American thing - must be down to the kind of mayonnaise I guess!

(Just because mayonnaise is 'fat' does not make it 'fattening')

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I am in the US and have never eaten french fries with ketchup...just doesn't appeal to me.

Well, I rarely eat frrench fries anymore (prefer sweet potato fries sprinkled with black pepper and other spices), but when I do have them, I like them with tartar sauce or honey mustard. Yes, everyone looks at me as if I were crazy, but I love them this way.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love them with tartare sauce too! I think it's maybe closer to European mayonnaise than American mayo is, which could explain it. Really, really good.

Chips with vinegar - needs to be proper chip shop chips. I've seen DH put vinegar on other sorts, but that's gross (to me). You put salt and vinegar and brown sauce on them and eat them out of the newspaper they come wrapped in. Aaaargh. I'm driving myself crazy resisting fish and chips today. We just came back from the beach and it's such a seaside food, I've been craving them since about ten minutes after breakfast.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
charbie|1307158899|2937462 said:
I totally didn't get this until I lived in Switzerland, but yummmmy. Their mayo in a tube is so much better than American mayo. Lemon mayo, tuna mayo (with tuna and capers), gaaah, I wonder if there is somewhere local I can find good European mayo.

Tuna Mayo? :knockout: I put BBQ sauce on french fries :bigsmile: The Smashfries from Smashburger are AMAZING and require no dipping sauce at all. I believe they have sea salt and rosemary and are fried in beef tallow.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
We eat them with mayo in Québec too. Some people still prefer ketchup, I like both.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer W|1307196231|2937643 said:
I love them with tartare sauce too! I think it's maybe closer to European mayonnaise than American mayo is, which could explain it. Really, really good.

Chips with vinegar - needs to be proper chip shop chips. I've seen DH put vinegar on other sorts, but that's gross (to me). You put salt and vinegar and brown sauce on them and eat them out of the newspaper they come wrapped in. Aaaargh. I'm driving myself crazy resisting fish and chips today. We just came back from the beach and it's such a seaside food, I've been craving them since about ten minutes after breakfast.

Tartar sauce is the best with french fries! LOVE IT!!!!

I will suffer going to a seafood place to get tartar sauce with my fries!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up with French fries dipped in mayo, but I've largely converted to ketchup since moving to the States. I do use mayo when I make pan-fried potatoes though - yummy! I've also had fries with a peanut butter dipping sauce like the sauce used for satay (or gado gado) - that is to die for!

BTW the secret to those great Dutch french fries is to put the potatoes in ice water as you cut them, then give them two baths in the hot oil. That's how my mother does it, and they're always fantastic!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1307173036|2937527 said:
I can't eat chips (fries) without mayo. American mayo isn't right for putting on them though, it's too sweet and tastes totally different to mayo. Maybe that's why not many folks here like the idea and why people look at me funny when I do that in America? It's a different thing altogether. When I'm really hungry, I dream about a huge bowl of chips (which you call fries) with mayonnaise. Heavenly.
Yeah. I thought fries/mayo sounded gag-worthy, but actually got up the guts to try the combo in the Netherlands and mmmmm. Yummy! It really is not American mayo, which is blander and... not nearly as good.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's kind of like fries and ranch dressing, which is a mayonnaise flavored with herbs and buttermilk (?)

I dislike ketchup.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tartar sauce on french fries. Heaven.
I occasionally dip fries into chocolate or vanilla shakes. Heaven.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1307141107|2937229 said:
Yum!

Always have mayonnaise and ketchup with chips... maybe it's a UK thing?

The chips are the fattening bit (carbs) the mayonnaise is fine.

I think it's a European thing-I love it too.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paula Deen started the french fries with mayo thing years ago when she said on her show that that's the way she's always eaten them. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me. French fries have enough oil in them already. Adding more fat? Eewww!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love this combo. I have never had it until I met DH. I like to dip a fry into mayo and then a little ketchup.....perfection!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Not to change the topic, but Gemgirl, what is that spectacular avatar and who cut it? :appl:

Even the thought of mayo makes my gag reflexes kick in.

How about some brown gravy and a little shredded cheese for some fun?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
sonomacounty|1307277813|2938251 said:
Not to change the topic, but Gemgirl, what is that spectacular avatar and who cut it? :appl:

Even the thought of mayo makes my gag reflexes kick in.

How about some brown gravy and a little shredded cheese for some fun?

No no no, you've got it all wrong. It's French fries, brown sauce and fresh cheese curds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine :appl:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ah, oui, j'adore poutine. I was going to say that but I didn't think people would know about it. I don't know how to do cheese curds, so I just use some Parmesan. What's an easy way to do cheese curds? Tx.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hm, I buy them at the grocery store... :oops: Around here, a cheese factory is not a cheese factory if they don't make cheese curds (especially artisans). I'm sure you could find a recipe on the Internet somewhere.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1307141549|2937238 said:
Ditto princess and Pandora-it's delicious! Our family had a Czech exchange student in high school and she taught me the mayo + french fries combo! :lickout:

ditto! it's DELICIOUS!! I learned it while I was abroad in the Netherlands for a few months, the schools there have mayo dispensers in the cafeteria and EVERYONE was eating the fries with mayo

emeralddreams

Rough_Rock
B.E.G.|1307141466|2937236 said:
Blech. But I'm not a mayo fan really.

But you know what's REALLY good? McDonald's fries dipped in their vanilla soft serve. Try it. :)

I like their fries in their sweet and sour sauce. Yummy!
Wendy's fries, and any type of homemade style fries are soooo good in mayo.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1307141466|2937236 said:
Blech. But I'm not a mayo fan really.

But you know what's REALLY good? McDonald's fries dipped in their vanilla soft serve. Try it. :)

Even better. French Fries dipped in chocolate cake icing or chocolate ice cream. :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results