shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut eternity ring---sizing help please

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone :wavey:

David Klass is currently helping me rehab a French cut diamond eternity ring that I recently purchased. The platinum setting was in pretty bad shape, so we are recasting the ring. Depending on how many stones are in usable condition, we may have enough to make a full eternity ring, or to make nearly a full eternity with a small sizing bar in the back. I would like to reuse as many of the stones as possible, which may mean going for the full eternity.

For those of you with a full eternity ring, did you have the ring made in your current ring size, planning to deal with any change in ring size as you go along?
Or, did you have it made in a slightly larger size to allow for some wiggle room later on? If so, are there any suggestions to ensure a more secure fit (such as sizing beads)?

I am currently a size 4.25, for reference, and I was planning on asking for a 4.5 if we did end up going for the full eternity ring. (I may wear this ring in a stack, so I did account for this in my sizing.)

Thank you all for your help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea to go a quarter size larger.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the input, diamondseeker!

After giving it some thought, I do agree that I should probably size up a bit, regardless of whether or not I put in a small sizing area in the back.

Does anyone have experience with sizing beads? I am curious how comfortable they are.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with DS to make it a bit larger to allow for your finger size to increase a bit. Also, if you plan to stack it, it's good to have it made a bit larger anyway.

Could you post a pic of your current ring?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can wear anything from a size 5.75 in winter to a 7.25 in summer, so when we bought my T&Co. eternity we went with a size 7. My e-ring is also a size 7, and while it will slip around in winter, I wear a diamond insert guard with it when it's really cold. It's better to have it sliding than not fit on your finger, especially since it's a bad idea to try to size a true eternity.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
when I have done a full 1/4 size I always regret it, so I do 1/8 of a size if it is for my left hand.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally wear a 5.75-6 but came across a preloved french cut eternity made by DK that was a 6.25 with sizing beads. I purchased it and can wear it comfortably and the sizing beads don't bother me. There is also a very small sizing bar in the back of the ring but I prefer not to mess with it so have just left the sizing beads in place.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found sizing beads slightly uncomfortable at first, then forgot they were there. My only issue was that the ring looked wider than than the rings it was stacked with and eventually I had the ring sized down.
But the beads certainly helped keep the little sizing bar from ending up face up on my finger all the time. The beads are easy to install and easy to take out of you don't like them.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Acinom said:
Agree with DS to make it a bit larger to allow for your finger size to increase a bit. Also, if you plan to stack it, it's good to have it made a bit larger anyway.

Could you post a pic of your current ring?

Thank you, Acinom! I plan to wear it in a stack most of the time but may wear it as a standalone band as well, which is throwing me off a little bit with the sizing. I especially worry about it being loose at work, where I am constantly putting on and removing gloves. Here are a couple photos of the ring:
french_cut_eternity2.jpg
french_cut_eternity1_0.jpg

Winks_Elf said:
I can wear anything from a size 5.75 in winter to a 7.25 in summer, so when we bought my T&Co. eternity we went with a size 7. My e-ring is also a size 7, and while it will slip around in winter, I wear a diamond insert guard with it when it's really cold. It's better to have it sliding than not fit on your finger, especially since it's a bad idea to try to size a true eternity.

Thanks for the insight, Winks_Elf! While my ring size does not fluctuate as drastically, it does get maybe 1/4 size smaller (maybe a size 4) when I am cold. I will have to look into the diamond insert guard.

artdecolover71 said:
when I have done a full 1/4 size I always regret it, so I do 1/8 of a size if it is for my left hand.

Ah, I completely forgot about 1/8th sizes as an option. ::) That may be a possibility as well. I appreciate the suggestion!

Lookinagain said:
I normally wear a 5.75-6 but came across a preloved french cut eternity made by DK that was a 6.25 with sizing beads. I purchased it and can wear it comfortably and the sizing beads don't bother me. There is also a very small sizing bar in the back of the ring but I prefer not to mess with it so have just left the sizing beads in place.

Yours sounds exactly like the setup I was going for. How fortunate that yours fit right from the start! I'm glad to hear that the sizing beads do not bother you. Thank you, Lookinagain!

Jimmianne said:
I found sizing beads slightly uncomfortable at first, then forgot they were there. My only issue was that the ring looked wider than than the rings it was stacked with and eventually I had the ring sized down.
But the beads certainly helped keep the little sizing bar from ending up face up on my finger all the time. The beads are easy to install and easy to take out of you don't like them.

That's great to know, Jimmianne. :) It sounds like sizing beads are looking better and better as an option for me!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous frenchie band! It will look stunning after the redo by DK :love:

Is your middle finger about the same size as your ring finger? If yes, you could wear the band on your middle finger on very cold days during which you want to wear it as a standalone band.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Acinom! :)

I'd guess that my middle finger is almost a full size larger than the ring finger because of the knuckle (never measured it though). I'd probably be able to switch the ring over to the right hand if I needed to though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results