shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut diamonds or alternatives for ring

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
What would you do? We are concerned it might detract from the centre stone. Or would you let the jeweller decide on proportions?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the designer you are working with - if they have pictures of previous work, you could pick out something that you like the proportions of, or if they will provide CAD images, you could request a design be sent for your consideration.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input. I will be having my centre and the frenchies set in platinum with a gold shank. What colour side stones do you recommend? Centre is an L but faces up quite white. Here is a pic previously set in white gold.

Also, is it common practice for the customer to pay for the cads or the jeweller until the design is finalised?

7601A123-1058-4A15-9192-8555B4AF081B.png A2F5DEB1-0379-401B-AC1A-C713E98FA3BE.png 2E90426B-F2DC-415C-BDBA-769A6E853E19.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some jewelers will have you pay a deposit up front and the rest upon completion, some will want the whole payment up front, and some will want the whole payment upon completion. Idk if one is more normal - I’ve encountered all of them.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think you have to worry about color very much. Since the side stones will be down the band they will be viewed between your fingers and have a slight reflection so they shouldn’t look particularly stark.

these are not French but I thought this was a great option to get a bunch of carre cut to use as you please for a decent price:Carre Cut Eternity under $1500

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
you might check to see if white zircon could be cut instead of sapphire or even diamonds. Zircon would, I think, mimic diamonds better.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you have to worry about color very much. Since the side stones will be down the band they will be viewed between your fingers and have a slight reflection so they shouldn’t look particularly stark.

these are not French but I thought this was a great option to get a bunch of carre cut to use as you please for a decent price:Carre Cut Eternity under $1500

Some of the diamonds in that band look like french cuts. Others look like carre cuts. It looks just like various square cuts all in the same band?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the diamonds in that band look like french cuts. Others look like carre cuts. It looks just like various square cuts all in the same band?

Yeah, I couldn't really tell from the listing, but it would not surprise me if they got mixed up, especially if the band was older. As much as I love vintage pieces, some are better off as pieces.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure these are technically french cut and they are tapered but the .42ct set is only $550. IMG-20200102-WA0001.jpg IMG-20200102-WA0002.jpg

Zero idea on color or clarity, I think they are VS, or the vendor, but he is in India.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
That’s seemingly a really great price! Sorry I’m away at the moment... they are genuine diamonds? How did you happen upon these? They look very nice...they look quite warm, I’m ok with that!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure these are technically french cut and they are tapered but the .42ct set is only $550. IMG-20200102-WA0001.jpg IMG-20200102-WA0002.jpg

Zero idea on color or clarity, I think they are VS, or the vendor, but he is in India.

How do I find this guy lol?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Update: thanks everyone for your help so far. I am slowly moving forward with design. The question now is what size frenchies... the jeweller’s original thought was 1.8mm based on inspo pic proportions, but I thought that might be too small so we are at 2mm. I now worry that you won’t be able to make out the faceting at this small size so I am slightly tempted to go to 2.5mm... but I definitely don’t want the design to look clunky, maybe it’s too big.

The diameter of the faux bezel is 8mm (stone is 6.5x6.6) but I can’t see how wide the channel for the 3 frenchies would be. Say add 1mm for the metal?

What would you do please?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
On a side note, I have seen a Simon g setting I really like with asschers. It’s difficult to tell the quality of the cut and how the light plays just from his glamour pics - I wonder can the brand be trusted enough to buy fancy cuts blindly?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
How do I find this guy lol?

I am so sorry, I meant to get back to this thread sooner. I saw those step cuts on IG and contacted him. Turns out someone else had done business with him. I ended up asking if he had french cuts and he had a contact in London who had 1.8 and 1 9mm or 2.1-2.2mm. I ordered 1.9mm and will post when they arrive, they came out to around $46 a stone, obv 2 is a bit more.

On IG fancycolor_diamonds. I'll post a review and photos when I get the stones. Everything is backed up with the lunar new year.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That’s seemingly a really great price! Sorry I’m away at the moment... they are genuine diamonds? How did you happen upon these? They look very nice...they look quite warm, I’m ok with that!

Yes, real diamonds. They are F/G, which is probably G-H. You can ask for addl photos.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry, I meant to get back to this thread sooner. I saw those step cuts on IG and contacted him. Turns out someone else had done business with him. I ended up asking if he had french cuts and he had a contact in London who had 1.8 and 1 9mm or 2.1-2.2mm. I ordered 1.9mm and will post when they arrive, they came out to around $46 a stone, obv 2 is a bit more.

On IG fancycolor_diamonds. I'll post a review and photos when I get the stones. Everything is backed up with the lunar new year.

Awesome, will look forward to an update! :))

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Me too! That’s a fantastic price! I don’t suppose they told you when they’ll arrive?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Me too! That’s a fantastic price! I don’t suppose they told you when they’ll arrive?

Should be 2 to 3 days from shipping. They are coming from HK. We are both waiting on the wire, with our holiday and theirs it was the absolute worst week to do all this.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Argh! I can’t wait to see them!!! This may end up being a invaluable resource for future frenchie hunters. What’s your plan for them?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
@CSpan that band is tempting... the quote I got from Tianyu for the 6 stones was of course much less as not paying for a made ring and extra stones. If that band was a steal I’d probably jump on it though so thanks for the heads up!

However, in a turn of events I’m now seriously questioning my decision for French cut moissanite and even investigating other shapes naturals for the shoulders such as traps, tapered baguettes, the suite of graduated step cuts as mentioned above etc.

I had a little freak out - I apologise if this ring belongs to anyone here? But I saw this and it has me seriously worried about the windowing and lack of sparkle ... could be due to photography or cut but it’s not the look I’m after. Thoughts?
E6227156-736B-450A-93B6-0ABDF73F9D1F.png 722C6F34-865D-472E-B787-F77502A1D201.png

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have french cut *unmentionables* from tianyu and had a freak out when someone posted this ring also but ended up happy with how mine turned out, here's a link to some photos:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...renchie-ring-from-tianyu.249850/#post-4570027

@CSpan that band is tempting... the quote I got from Tianyu for the 6 stones was of course much less as not paying for a made ring and extra stones. If that band was a steal I’d probably jump on it though so thanks for the heads up!

However, in a turn of events I’m now seriously questioning my decision for French cut moissanite and even investigating other shapes naturals for the shoulders such as traps, tapered baguettes, the suite of graduated step cuts as mentioned above etc.

I had a little freak out - I apologise if this ring belongs to anyone here? But I saw this and it has me seriously worried about the windowing and lack of sparkle ... could be due to photography or cut but it’s not the look I’m after. Thoughts?
E6227156-736B-450A-93B6-0ABDF73F9D1F.png 722C6F34-865D-472E-B787-F77502A1D201.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results