shape
carat
color
clarity

French 1875 18k Portrait Ring - help needed!!!!!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I need some input on this piece pretty quickly please.
I fell for it the second I saw it on IG.
I had a lovely transaction and it arrived promptly.
The seller noted the condition and I knew it has some damage to the enamel and that’s not what bothers me.
The problem is the seller stated it was a finger size 6.25 but it is a full half size smaller (5.75) and doesn’t fit any of my fingers!!!!!! :(((
The engraving goes all the way around the inside of the shank “G.G.” “16th Avril 1875” and it has a dogs head on outside shank so we know the shank cannot be messed with in any way!
But is there anyway you guys can think that I could add balls to the underside of the portrait part (which is blank) to make it small enough to fit my pinky or it it too much hassle or impossible???
I need to decide if I return by tomorrow!!!!
Thx in advance…. IMG_2505.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpeg
    IMG_2506.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 26

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just a suggestion.
Glue a piece of thin craft foam or moleskin (used to cushion your toes) to the underside of the portrait. Cut it into a small oval shape.
This usually works for me, and the glue can be gently scraped away later.
This way it isn't permanent, in case you're worried about altering this antique.
It's gorgeous!!!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I like stracci2000 suggestion. You could cut a small piece of chamois leather and super glue it to the underneath. I presume it will be an occasional wear ring in any regard. Otherwise you can get clip on metal inserts or use the plastic coil type things.
it’s a stunning ring btw.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I’d be tempted to do a mini home repair using nail polish as it can be removed easily. I’d find a pale blue Matt color and pale green and just fill in the missing bits. The benefit with doing the top bit is it will help prevent any further loss.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks all!!!
I have the silicone sizers and dislike them (I’m not exactly sure why) but LOVE the idea of the moleskin under the front of the ring.
She is just the most charming thing I’ve ever seen and yes, occasional wear, no hand washing etc.
I’ll try!
Thanks again all!!!!!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And I’d be tempted to do a mini home repair using nail polish as it can be removed easily. I’d find a pale blue Matt color and pale green and just fill in the missing bits. The benefit with doing the top bit is it will help prevent any further loss.

I was tempted too but, alas, too timid and scared….who am I to mess with 148 years!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
FWIW I just used some UV resin I bought on amazon (I think it's used for crafts or nail art?) on the inside of one of my too-big rings and it worked great. It is clear, smooth, plus a tiny bit grippy so it helps it not slide to the side as top-heavy rings often do for me. I also pushed really hard on it just with my fingertips and it snapped off without any damage to the metal.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Did you end up keeping the ring @SapphireBomb?

So after A LOT of thought, I ended up returning the ring.
I purchased it via IG and still haven’t heard back from the seller even though it’s been over 10 days!
She was delightful to deal with when I purchased but now silence….…and I even offered to exchange it for her newest chatelaine/dance card.
You could probably easily find the ring as i see it re-listed on ig.
It was gorgeous but I just didn’t want to mess with it.
I will let everyone know how the return goes as I really wanted to forge a relationship with this seller.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after A LOT of thought, I ended up returning the ring.
I purchased it via IG and still haven’t heard back from the seller even though it’s been over 10 days!
She was delightful to deal with when I purchased but now silence….…and I even offered to exchange it for her newest chatelaine/dance card.
You could probably easily find the ring as i see it re-listed on ig.
It was gorgeous but I just didn’t want to mess with it.
I will let everyone know how the return goes as I really wanted to forge a relationship with this seller.

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry it didn't work out. I hope this return goes smoothly!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@SapphireBomb did you return it? This is why it makes me so nervous to buy from instagram.

danielle622

Rough_Rock
A good jeweler should be able to size the ring to the right size by adding metal and then adding engravings to match the rest of shank. But if you want it to remain completely authentic and not change the ring at all, there probably wouldn't be a good way to size this ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results