shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out! Is my diamond real???

Katie29

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! My bf recently bought my engagement ring from james allen. We got the ring and its beautiful!! But almost to beautiful, im now questioning if the diamond is in fact real. I did the fog test and if I put the diamond bascially in my mouth and blow on it for a few seconds it takes a while for the fog to go away but if i hold it away from my mouth and fog for a second it goes away instantly. The diamond is a 1.5 carat cushion cut, G color and VS2 clarity, excellent symmetry and polish, no culet or floresence. It is GIA certified and it came with the certification and everything which I have already verified on gia.com but now I just want to know if the diamond matches the report.... I do think that its far fetched that JA would sell a fake diamond but this ring was over 10k and it just seems to good to be true. Ive never seen a diamond with such sparkle!! What other tests can i try at home to make sure its real?? Also I read online that a fake diamond sparkles with all different colors and a real one sparkles with grey and mine sparkles with all different colors so im kinda freaking out. :(2

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone! My bf recently bought my engagement ring from james allen. We got the ring and its beautiful!! But almost to beautiful, im now questioning if the diamond is in fact real. I did the fog test and if I put the diamond bascially in my mouth and blow on it for a few seconds it takes a while for the fog to go away but if i hold it away from my mouth and fog for a second it goes away instantly. The diamond is a 1.5 carat cushion cut, G color and VS2 clarity, excellent symmetry and polish, no culet or floresence. It is GIA certified and it came with the certification and everything which I have already verified on gia.com but now I just want to know if the diamond matches the report.... I do think that its far fetched that JA would sell a fake diamond but this ring was over 10k and it just seems to good to be true. Ive never seen a diamond with such sparkle!! What other tests can i try at home to make sure its real?? Also I read online that a fake diamond sparkles with all different colors and a real one sparkles with grey and mine sparkles with all different colors so im kinda freaking out. :(2

WHY do you suspect it's fake?

Katie29

Rough_Rock
WHY do you suspect it's fake?
Because it fogs up and takes a few seconds for the fog to go away and according to alot of sources that can mean that its fake, it also just seems to good to be true, the sparkle of the diamond is amazing and I have only seen a hand full that have that amount of sparkle. Plus JA is an online vendor so you never know.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it fogs up and takes a few seconds for the fog to go away and according to alot of sources that can mean that its fake, it also just seems to good to be true, the sparkle of the diamond is amazing and I have only seen a hand full that have that amount of sparkle. Plus JA is an online vendor so you never know.

Most PS'ers get their diamonds from online vendors because they don't like being ripped off at the local jewelers. You said you had a GIA report that matched up. James Allen does not sell fake diamonds. Forgive me, but I think it is a bit strange that you are questioning your fiancee and conducting tests to make sure it's real.

I just blew on my diamond and it took a few seconds to unfog. I can assure you it's real.

Katie29

Rough_Rock
Most PS'ers get their diamonds from online vendors because they don't like being ripped off at the local jewelers. You said you had a GIA report that matched up. James Allen does not sell fake diamonds. Forgive me, but I think it is a bit strange that you are questioning your fiancee and conducting tests to make sure it's real.

I just blew on my diamond and it took a few seconds to unfog. I can assure you it's real.
By a matching GIA report I mean that I just verified that the report is in fact real. As far as the diamond matching the report, I have no clue. I know the diamond is supposed to be inscribed because it says so on the report but I do not have a loupe and I can not see the inscription with a magnifying glass. Also, I am not questioning my fiancee. I am questioning JA. What all started this was my order kept on getting pushed back. We called everyday for a week and every single day they would tell us it was going to be shipped that day and it never did. However after a week of calling they finally shipped the ring so that kind of broke my trust because we got the run around until it thankfully shipped.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relax, breathe.
At home tests such as the “fog test” or the “bead of water test” are at best ridiculous, as is the “does it scratch glass test”.
If you had bought your diamond ring off eBay from a dubious international source, off Craigslist/Gumtree or from a goodwill shop or yard sale, you might have reason to doubt its authenticity, but from James Allen, no.
No way would James Allen be selling “fake / synthetic” diamonds to anyone, it would absolutely destroy their million dollar business in an instant.
So they are not going to be selling fake diamonds to anyone.
If you are in need of reassurance, go into your local jeweller (not a retail mall type shop) and ask them to test it with the Presidum gem tester. Depending on how the diamond is set, it’s GIA number should be inscribed onto the girdle and that can be viewed under high magnification.
If you have a 30x Loupe and can view the girdle (that’s the thin edge) you might be able to see it. It is a tiny, tiny laser inscription and might be concealed by a claw/ prong.

Katie29

Rough_Rock
Relax, breathe.
At home tests such as the “fog test” or the “bead of water test” are at best ridiculous, as is the “does it scratch glass test”.
If you had bought your diamond ring off eBay from a dubious international source, off Craigslist/Gumtree or from a goodwill shop or yard sale, you might have reason to doubt its authenticity, but from James Allen, no.
No way would James Allen be selling “fake / synthetic” diamonds to anyone, it would absolutely destroy their million dollar business in an instant.
So they are not going to be selling fake diamonds to anyone.
If you are in need of reassurance, go into your local jeweller (not a retail mall type shop) and ask them to test it with the Presidum gem tester. Depending on how the diamond is set, it’s GIA number should be inscribed onto the girdle and that can be viewed under high magnification.
If you have a 30x Loupe and can view the girdle (that’s the thin edge) you might be able to see it. It is a tiny, tiny laser inscription and might be concealed by a claw/ prong.
I think I am going to buy my own loupe so I can be for sure. I figured that it would be far fetched for JA to sell a fake diamond but I always like to be certain.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8684DB8C-E344-4FF9-AB5E-FE35FADFD803.jpeg This is what you are looking for, but depending on how your diamond is set and where the claws are, you might have trouble seeing/ finding it.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am going to buy my own loupe so I can be for sure. I figured that it would be far fetched for JA to sell a fake diamond but I always like to be certain.
It would be extremely unlikely for James Allen to pull something like that over "just" $10k - while it's a good chunk of change for an average consumer, in the context of their turnover, it's not a lot of money to them so it wouldn't be worth the cost to their business and reputation.
Getting a loupe is a great idea - it's actually good to get to know your own stone against the clarity plot so you can recognise it if at any point you need to take it to a jeweller for work. Plus I like to loupe it after cleaning to make sure it's clean and also just because I like looking at the details.
I do sorta love that it's so brilliantly sparkly that you thought it could only be fake - clearly your fiance did a great job of getting a nicely cut stone. Kudos to him! Well cut diamonds will show a mixed range of coloured light return (dispersion also known as fire) as well as white light return (brilliance).

Katie29

Rough_Rock
8684DB8C-E344-4FF9-AB5E-FE35FADFD803.jpeg This is what you are looking for, but depending on how your diamond is set and where the claws are, you might have trouble seeing/ finding it.
Wow! Thats super tiny!! I hope that I can find it when I get a loupe

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the world of superbly cut diamonds and daily distracting light performances ;)) :D

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the world of price gouging on something so plentiful, only quartz beats it out in the world of plentiful gemstones.
:)

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the world of price gouging on something so plentiful, only quartz beats it out in the world of plentiful gemstones.
:)

Although I concede DeBeers is genius, most diamond is not gemstone quality. :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the world of looking down at your hand and thinking it's too good to be true, and then blinking your eyes a few times, and realizing it's not only true but amazingly beautiful and you are so lucky! Gratitude makes the skin glow and it looks great on everyone. Congratulations on your gorgeous stone and Mazel Tov!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results