shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out. Bought an estate diamond accidentally and not sure if it's real?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:?: Wow.

srke

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous. And at that price, seems like a great deal.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It’s all cleaned up and sparkling again! Your mum is going to love it. And I think the inclusions will make her feel that the diamond is real and reassured that you didn’t spend too much. If the diamond was too perfect, she might keep it in a drawer and not wear it.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It’s all cleaned up and sparkling again! Your mum is going to love it. And I think the inclusions will make her feel that the diamond is real and reassured that you didn’t spend too much. If the diamond was too perfect, she might keep it in a drawer and not wear it.
That's a really great point! Although she might still keep it in a drawer because the ring itself is so special to her, and it's irreplaceable.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous gift for your mom, hope she loves it.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it turned out beautifully! They did a great job polishing the setting and the diamond looks perfect! You did well!!! I hope your mom loves it!!! :)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad to be getting all of this positive feedback! I really don't know what to look for to determine if it the setting and clean up was done well or not. You can see they also added "beading" around the stone, that's what she called it. That was not on the setting when I brought it in, but she said it likely was there when it was new and had deteriorated over the years.

I wonder if they just did it because after they set the stone it seemed to have a gap, so they used this beading technique to close the gap? That's my totally unprofessional guess. Either way I think it looks really nice and I'm so glad I'm not getting a bunch of replies saying they ruined it!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see they also added "beading" around the stone, that's what she called it. That was not on the setting when I brought it in, but she said it likely was there when it was new and had deteriorated over the years.

I wonder if they just did it because after they set the stone it seemed to have a gap, so they used this beading technique to close the gap? That's my totally unprofessional guess. Either way I think it looks really nice and I'm so glad I'm not getting a bunch of replies saying they ruined it!

The beading is called milgrain and it's an aesthetic touch. I don't think it has any function besides decorative.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It’s sweet of them to add the milgrain for you. She is correct that jewelry of that time period often had milgrain. They must have seen traces of it on the ring while rehabbing it.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks beautiful! they did a nice job

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
That is the steal of the century! Well done!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really pretty! They (and you) did a great job. I hope your mom loves it.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus - it’s so beautiful! And a bargain! Your mom will love it.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
How sweet and thoughtful of you do do something so loving for your dear mom! I think it looks great, perfect actually! The re-polish is perfect and the diamond looks nice! The setting appears to be an old Edwardian type from the late 1800s or very early 1900s. And not all of us have the budget, time, desire or inclination to search for all that is perfect, including diamonds, right?

I am not an expert and I know zilch about diamonds, especially new ones. But honestly, unless there's some sort of big ol' carbon flake, or a huge cloudy inclusion, or a very poorly cut diamond in front of me, I have a real hard time spotting most inclusions by eye.

I think the ring is precious and more so, the loving gesture of you gifting it to your mom. I'm sure your mom will adore it. And FWIW, your mom has a beautiful daughter.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
$250 out the door!
How sweet and thoughtful of you do do something so loving for your dear mom! I think it looks great, perfect actually! The re-polish is perfect and the diamond looks nice! The setting appears to be an old Edwardian type from the late 1800s or very early 1900s. And not all of us have the budget, time, desire or inclination to search for all that is perfect, including diamonds, right?

I am not an expert and I know zilch about diamonds, especially new ones. But honestly, unless there's some sort of big ol' carbon flake, or a huge cloudy inclusion, or a very poorly cut diamond in front of me, I have a real hard time spotting most inclusions by eye.

I think the ring is precious and more so, the loving gesture of you gifting it to your mom. I'm sure your mom will adore it. And FWIW, your mom has a beautiful daughter.
I agree...You’re a great daughter!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
:cry2::cry2::cry2: :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
You guys are the best!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
So I was comparing my mom's ring to a couple of silver alloy rings and noticed my mom's ring looks yellow. It's still beautiful but clearly not bright white. I called the jeweler to confirm it was rhodium plated and they said it was. I went to a different jewelry store today and the salesperson said if it WAS rhodium plated, it was done wrong and didn't "stick" because a freshly plated ring would not look this yellow. She offered to plate it for me for free, but I would need to leave it and pick it up the next day. Since the stone has so many inclusions under the loupe, I can easily check to make sure it's the same one when I pick it up (trust but verify), I'm just not sure if I should mess with it anymore before I give it to my mom.

I said I might give it to my mom as is and let her decide if she likes the antique look or wants bright white. The salesperson said I should definitely do it, not wait.

I've been wearing it all day on its own, and it looks very shiny and lovely, but when placed against a bright white metal it clearly has a yellow tinge. The diamond is also whiter than the metal now that I'm looking closely. Which could be a good thing...

Thoughts?

IMG_20181018_125821.jpg IMG_20181017_185742.jpg IMG_20181017_185758.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like unplated white gold. I think its gorgeous. I wish I could wear it! I think it should be up to your mom about if she wants it to get plated again because its definitely personal choice

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like unplated white gold. I think its gorgeous. I wish I could wear it! I think it should be up to your mom about if she wants it to get plated again because its definitely personal choice

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm thinking. The salesperson made me second guess. I actually think it's really beautiful as is. My mom might need to have it resized anyway so if she wants it bright white we can get it plated then.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! That's exactly what I'm thinking. The salesperson made me second guess. I actually think it's really beautiful as is. My mom might need to have it resized anyway so if she wants it bright white we can get it plated then.
I agree..I wear my white gold and hardly ever rhodium plate it. I would see what your mom thinks. The ring is so pretty..Shes going to love it!

Last edited:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous ring! Great job on sourcing the diamond; it's beautiful. I think the way it is now lends to its antique charm, imho. :kiss2: So, don't second guess yourself. I wouldn't hesitate to give it to your mom and let her decide.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's perfect! love it.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I'd be shocked if your mom doesn't cry with joy when she sees this. You're so nice to do this for her, and the jeweler did a great job. She's right that the millgrain needed to be added back in, and good on her for doing it for free. Never rely on one jeweler to critique another. I have white gold that looks more or less yellow than other pieces, even some that look greyish. It's in the mix, I think. A yellowish tinge is perfect for an antique piece! I wouldn't touch it!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let your mom decide on the plating. She may be unused to a bright, white metal ring if she wore her previous iteration for years.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with RockySalamander. Let your mom decide. She'll probably spend time admiring it and getting to know it - like we all do. Once she does, she can then tell you if she wants it to stay as it or wants it r-plated. You are a really nice daughter to do this for your mom and I think she is truly going to be touched. Good job.

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This was a fun read! I love the ring! What a special and thoughtful gift!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results