shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out. Bought an estate diamond accidentally and not sure if it's real?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a jewelery store with 3 different objectives, and somehow I got confused and ended up agreeing to buy an estate diamond without realizing it.

I wanted to find a stone to put in my mom's old setting. I thought I would either do cluster diamonds or a white sapphire. Wanted to spend like $150.

The jeweler brought out an envelope full of loose diamonds and said these are all estate diamonds so there's no certificate or grading. She found a .38 carat that fit in my mom's setting. You can definitely see inclusions with the naked eye if you look really closely, and it's not perfectly white, but I thought it looked perfect for this old ring and think she'll love it. She said it would be $250, just pulled a number out. I wasn't planning on spending that much but I also didn't think it would be possible to find a diamond for that little, so I said wow if you could do it for $250 I would happily do that. She said she was going to keep looking for something else and let me know if she found anything better

In the confusion of moving on to the next thing on my list, I somehow didn't notice that they actually took the ring and wrote up an order. I called today to check on whether she had found any other stones for me to check out and they already set that one in the ring and cleaned it up, and it's almost ready for me to pick up!

I'm kind of freaking out because I planned to get feedback here first before committing to it. I wanted to know if it's even possible for a real diamond to be $250 for .38 carat. Again its an estate diamond, it has obvious inclusions if you look closely. Is this possible or did I get duped and buy something else?

I do want to mention that I really trust this jeweler not to have screwed me on purpose, but I wonder why she let this diamond go for so cheap. Is this just what included non-graded diamonds cost?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I want to clarify that no matter what quality it is, I'm extremely happy with it IF ITS REAL. But when I told my brother what I paid he asked how is possible for a real diamond to be so cheap, and I started panicking thinking I wonder if this is a real diamond.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
if It has dark inclusions that you can see it’s probably a diamond..but a very low quality one..Probably I2 or I3....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Entirely possible for it to be real. Not a lot of people want a diamond like that, and it's entirely possible it was picked up for almost nothing as part of a larger lot.

I'd congratulate myself and thank the jeweler.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm perfectly fine with I2 or I3 since I've seen it in person and liked it. I was thinking the same thing that the inclusions actually make it more likely to be a real diamond, but I don't know if other stones that look like diamond also have inclusions?

Again, in person I'm very happy with it. I just want to know that it's a real diamond before I give it to my mom telling her it's a diamond and it turns out it's fake. She will probably want to know how much I spent, if it needs to be insured, so I'll probably need to tell her it wasn't enough to bother with insurance, and she might have the same suspicion as my brother thinking it can't possibly be real.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I don't think 250 is out of line for a second hand .38 diamond with visible inclusions.

I'm more concerned that you weren't on the same page as the jeweler, and that she did something you didn't agree to, or didn't believe you'd agreed to. I would feel like I'd been kind of strong armed into something I hadn't settled on and would want to talk to the jeweler about the miscommunication before doing more business with them. However, if you're happy with it, then I suppose it all worked out!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm perfectly fine with I2 or I3 since I've seen it in person and liked it. I was thinking the same thing that the inclusions actually make it more likely to be a real diamond, but I don't know if other stones that look like diamond also have inclusions?

Again, in person I'm very happy with it. I just want to know that it's a real diamond before I give it to my mom telling her it's a diamond and it turns out it's fake. She will probably want to know how much I spent, if it needs to be insured, so I'll probably need to tell her it wasn't enough to bother with insurance, and she might have the same suspicion as my brother thinking it can't possibly be real.
If it looks like little black pepper flakes then it’s a diamond..It will also have areas that aren’t clear..If it sparkles with the inclusions then you got a deal. :kiss2:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think 250 is out of line for a second hand .38 diamond with visible inclusions.

I'm more concerned that you weren't on the same page as the jeweler, and that she did something you didn't agree to, or didn't believe you'd agreed to. I would feel like I'd been kind of strong armed into something I hadn't settled on and would want to talk to the jeweler about the miscommunication before doing more business with them. However, if you're happy with it, then I suppose it all worked out!

Honestly I think it's totally my fault. Thinking back I did say I would happily pay $250 for this stone, or if she could find something better or similar for less or the same price, but basically said this is good if you can't find anything else.

And I can't figure out how I didn't notice they took the ring but I must have just been distracted. They did give me a ticket for the order but it's just like a dry cleaning ticket, no details about what's being done and I didn't sign anything or pay. I should have asked why I was getting a ticket. I thought it was some kind of estimate ticket. Dumb.

I feel way better now hearing that this doesn't sound fishy. And I'll post pictures when I get the ring back! I'm really nervous now that I'm going to see it again and think it's not that great. I think I'll just start imagining it in my head as being really bad so when I see it again it'll exceed expectations LOL.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
If it looks like little black pepper flakes then it’s a diamond..It will also have areas that aren’t clear..If it sparkles with the inclusions then you got a deal. :kiss2:

I can't wait to go pick it up so I can look again and post pictures!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t wait to see it! I hope your mom loves it!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember your other thread and you weren’t sure if the $250 included them setting the diamond and polishing us the ring as well, it sounds like they included that as well?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CZ and moissanites don't have visible inclusions, so it's mostly likely real. You could buy a diamond tester on amazon though

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think it would make you feel better to have the jeweler write up a receipt that says one .38 diamond...no price...This way your brother will believe you and your mother won’t second guess whether it is or not.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@KKJohnson Yes, I thought we would hash out those details when I called today but apparently it's done. I assume it includes the setting fee, I guess I'll find out when I go to pick it up. If not I might just ask her to make it $250 total and explain that I didn't even realize she was going to do the work yet.

@HappyNewLife Ok good, that's a great way for me to explain to my brother why I know it's real.

@Mamabean That's a good idea! I will ask for one.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relax, it will be real.
The truth is that jewellers often buy old, vintage rings from people who don’t want them and want some money instead. They basically just pay gold or platinium weight ie nothing for the diamonds because when they are wee, a bit of a wonky cut as old diamonds often are, an apparent lower colour and or clarity and are not certified for colour, cut or clarity they are “scrap” and the seller basically gets no value for them.
So while $250 seems really cheap to you, for him it’s $250 pure profit!
Win win.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 That explains it! I didn't realize they buy estate jewelry basically for the metal weight, I figured she must have paid SOMETHING for a real diamond so it couldn't possibly be so cheap and still make a profit. But it does make sense, especially for a pretty small diamond like this one.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 That explains it! I didn't realize they buy estate jewelry basically for the metal weight, I figured she must have paid SOMETHING for a real diamond so it couldn't possibly be so cheap and still make a profit. But it does make sense, especially for a pretty small diamond like this one.

I know her diamond tester is wonky but you could have her test it again just to confirm fo yourself that it was tested.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
=)2Sounds like a good deal to me! I got a great deal on a loose rose cut from my jeweler, it just happened to fit an old setting that I was given. Love it when an old unloved stone finds a new loving home at a great price!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relax, it will be real.
The truth is that jewellers often buy old, vintage rings from people who don’t want them and want some money instead. They basically just pay gold or platinium weight ie nothing for the diamonds because when they are wee, a bit of a wonky cut as old diamonds often are, an apparent lower colour and or clarity and are not certified for colour, cut or clarity they are “scrap” and the seller basically gets no value for them.
So while $250 seems really cheap to you, for him it’s $250 pure profit!
Win win.
Bron is right. She's always right!
And of course a .38 can be purchased for $250.
All diamonds are not superior color, clarity, cut. I'm sure you will be happy with it in your Mom's old ring setting!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love you guys. Thank you! I'll be back with pictures. And now I want to hunt out more estate diamonds now that I know how cheap they can be. Maybe the studs I've just started wanting don't need to want for an anniversary... Lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love you guys. Thank you! I'll be back with pictures. And now I want to hunt out more estate diamonds now that I know how cheap they can be. Maybe the studs I've just started wanting don't need to want for an anniversary... Lol
Oh oh..That’s how it starts! You’re a Pricescoper!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Went to check out the completed ring today and the inclusions were definitely a little worse than I remember but I still feel like it's a great purchase, the old imperfect diamond works well with the old ring. I tried to get the best pictures I could of both the diamond and the ring all cleaned up.

What do you guys think? I know the diamond itself isn't great but how does the ring look overall? It's not at all my style so I'm honestly not blown away by it, but I think my mom will be happy with it which is all that matters.

Here's before:
Screenshot_20181004-174639.png
Screenshot_20181004-174701.png
Screenshot_20181004-174705.png
Screenshot_20181004-174709.png

And after:
IMG_20181004_172808.jpg
IMG_20181004_172812.jpg
IMG_20181004_172818.jpg
IMG_20181004_172751.jpg
IMG_20181004_172746.jpg
IMG_20181004_173023.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They did a great job!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they really spruced her up! Your mom will love it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks like an antique setting! Great job! Your mom will love it!:appl:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Hope she loves it.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your mom will love it!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s credibly sweet and the stone is appropriate for the setting :kiss2:
I’m curious though- did it end up being $250 out the door or just for the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results