shape
carat
color
clarity

Franck Muller help - Calling DF, ImDanny or ...

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
... anyone else who has watch knowledge. I would like to buy my DH a Franck Muller Master Banker 2852 MB watch for Christmas and am wondering if I’ve been quoted a good price. The watch is pre-owned and I’m buying it from a very reputable store with locations across the USA. The watch comes with a one year warranty. When I Google the watch I keep getting the ‘Havana’ model come up but this watch has the face of the 6850MB (white face with stainless steel bracelet). It has two time zones plus the current time zone. Their best price is $7,800 USD; duh, I forgot to ask how old the watch is. I need some help; I’m not a watch gal and I have no idea what to ask. Today, DH has a Breitling and a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Geographic. Years ago he was interested in a Franck Muller but then turned his interest to Breguet. The other day, in passing, he mentioned Muller again. I would love to hear comments anyone may have on this particular watch, especially concerning the price. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
as far i know most of the FM watch movements are re-modified ETA movements "not inhouse movements". prices??...keep in mind that most of these new watches can be had for 30-35% off of retail,so for a nice used watch i'd expect at least 50% off compared to a new one.

IMO...JLC is the best dollar for dollar in high end watches... ;))

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Hi DF, thanks for your reply. What do you mean by 'remodified ETA movements'? Does this decrease the value of the watch? After a bit more research I've found the watch retailing for $14,000, so at $7,800 I wouldn't be getting 50% off.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DF 100%.

ETA is a swiss company that makes watch movements.

Many brands use them (back in my day, I don't know about now Rolex's Tudor brand did) and some "high end" brands use them, but modify them and improve the finishing.

I had a Tudor with an ETA movement and I didn't like it. The movement was cheap, literally and figuratively. It had an ugly, cheap sound. I thought then and I still do today that that watch was overpriced.

ETA has many different kinds of movements (ones with different functions). The basic ETA automatic movement costs a watch company something like $30.

JLC is what's called a manufacture, meaning they make everything.

Personally, I'd wouldn't buy a Franck Muller. I'd buy something like a JLC (Lange, like in DF's avatar), Patek, Vacheron Constintin, and other manufacture's watches.

The thing that gives ETA movements a "bad name" is that they're mass produced. So it doesn't imply skill at movement making (since the end brand didn't make it) and it does imply kind of a high profit margin. At least that's how I think about it.

On the other hand, if you love the watch, if it's exactly what you want, then you should make yourself happy. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingmyring|1291426591|2786858 said:
Hi DF, thanks for your reply. What do you mean by 'remodified ETA movements'? Does this decrease the value of the watch? After a bit more research I've found the watch retailing for $14,000, so at $7,800 I wouldn't be getting 50% off.

there're only a hand full of "true manufactures" of watches in the world (JLC is one of them) in fact,a lot of companies buy their movements from ETA,JLC, Valjoux then do some re-modification before putting their own brand name on the dial. in other words... over 90% of the watch Co's "do not make their own movements"

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks ImDanny and DF - that information is so informative. Is there a complete list of watch makers who do it all from A to Z? Also, is there a reputable watch site I can consult to continue to educate myself? I really appreciate your help.

ETA: Do Breguet and IWC manufacture from A to Z? Thanks !

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Again, thanks so much Danny !!!!!! I'll check out those sites.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291430262|2786920 said:
DF might have a list. I'm sorry but I don't.

I can recommend these sites:

http://www.watchprosite.com/

http://www.timezone.com/

Edit, yes, I believe Breguet and IWC make everything. DF, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Danny...i'm not sure about Breguet but i'm sure IWC use Valjoux and JLC in some of their watches.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
In the chronographs probably. Thanks, DF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results