clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Today was MFK Aqua Universalis Forte. Love the biting citrus and light woods

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! I love scents, don't know a ton about luxury scents or perfume houses but went through an obsessive perfume oils stage a while back (anyone heard of BPAL? Used to collect & trade, etc.) and currently have a few bottles of what I'd describe as mid-level perfumes, some weird oldies and a couple handfuls of samples I'm working my way through. Hope you don't mind if I join in :)

I'd like to eventually try out some of the more luxury fragrances I've seen y'all post lately, so I may request recommendations if people are up for giving them, even though I know that's probably a dangerous path for me (and my wallet) :devil:

Today I'm trying out Miu Miu Eau de Parfum. Pretty basic fresh floral on initial spray. An hour and a half later, all I am getting is lots of pepper, which I'm attributing to the synthetic "agikalawood" note (patchouli-ish, pepper and oud).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went all out and pulled out Fendi Asja. Oooo how I love theee!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: Love the cooler days where I can start off with stuff like this.

I just ordered a sampler set of perfumes from zoologist perfumes. They're in Canada so will take a bit to get here. Very interested in seeing what I get from these. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is vintage Chanel Coco. The stuff out there now smells nothing like it, sad to say.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1483713410|4112932 said:
Today is vintage Chanel Coco. The stuff out there now smells nothing like it, sad to say.

Oh, I'm interested to know more about that because Chanel Coco EDP (new) is one of the scents I've sampled and liked. What smells different to you?

Today is Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon. Vanilla and oak that comes off as tobacco or a cigar box to my nose when it's on. Not sure I'm getting the tuberose. Smells like it wants to be worn while wearing flannel and tromping through leaves in the fall. Nice enough but fairly simple. Might try to layer it with something spicier.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Mon Parfum from Micallef. Very fruity, I love the tangerine in this!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
elizabethess|1483713724|4112935 said:

Oh, I'm interested to know more about that because Chanel Coco EDP (new) is one of the scents I've sampled and liked. What smells different to you?

Today is Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon. Vanilla and oak that comes off as tobacco or a cigar box to my nose when it's on. Not sure I'm getting the tuberose. Smells like it wants to be worn while wearing flannel and tromping through leaves in the fall. Nice enough but fairly simple. Might try to layer it with something spicier.

I Love Nirvana Bourbon.

I don't get much of any white floral from it until WAY later (like 3-5 hours later) But I love the boozy vanilla!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elizabethess|1483713724|4112935 said:

Because of IFRA, there's some significant changes to what is added to perfumes. Eugenol (basically lets call it clove) used to be at a higher concentration. Not anymore, which ok if you don't dig clove, you aint gonna miss it...lol Civet which used to be natural, no longer is. Also they do use some natural essences which changes from harvest to harvest. You can't really change that, but, IFRA also has its hand in limiting what it considers to be "allergens"...among other things, rose and orange are on that list. The list is long, and to avoid some of that, perfumers tend to go with a synthetic which in many cases, just don't have the same round soft edges or sometimes the depth as their more natural counterparts.

Synthetics in perfume isn't new, many have been around for a long time in one from or anther. Even some of my older vintages use synthetic musk in place of natural deer musk. However some synthetics do pretty good to mimic a natural product, others just don't, and unfortunately some of us can smell that.

At any rate, my bottle is from 1989, so pretty old, but boy its a MONSTER. Round round round, and weighty. Of the 2, the newer is jagged and thinner to me.

This is also the case with Coco Mad. My bottle is from early 2009. It was MONSTER, longevity off the chain (hey any perfume that you can smell AFTER a shower is IMO worthy!!) whats out there now is a bit of a travesty.

So think of it like Pandora's Box. If you like the new, stay with it, don't seek out vintage or older bottles. I got my bottle of Coco from a perfumista who was culling her collection (good and bad for me!) If I had never tried the vintage I would never know. But on the upside, that bottle will likely outlast me with how little I use :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
One of my HG scents today. Armani Prive Rose D'Arabie. I Love the Saffron, Patchouli, amber and rose with this!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wore Carnal Flower yesterday and the lady at the bakery said "You wear that Jasmine well!"

That scent never fails to elicit a comment.

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1483814499|4113325 said:
HI:

I wore Carnal Flower yesterday and the lady at the bakery said "You wear that Jasmine well!"

cheers--Sharon

Weird she picked up only on the jasmine considering how much tuberose absolute they put in that stuff!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I wore Max Mara's Original Scent. Its been long discontinued but I got a big bottle (I have lots of big bottles...lol) Its really uncomplicated and simple. A bit boring but sometimes you just want to smell good. Its perfect for that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1483824956|4113369 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Weird she picked up only on the jasmine considering how much tuberose absolute they put in that stuff!

I know. she didn't know "tuberose" when I mentioned it...she said she'd have to google it :))

I don't get Jasmine at all....

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you who might not be subscribed to LuckyScent here is their summary of the best of 2016. Of course beauty is in the eye (and nose) of the beholder. :halo:

http://www.luckyscent.com/lp/em/best-of-2016-for-him-and-her?utm_source=scentletter&utm_medium=2017-1-8_email_Bestof2016&utm_campaign=2017-1-8_email_Bestof2016&utm_source=Luckyscent+Newsletter&utm_campaign=01bb3ae57a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a85e228b9d-01bb3ae57a-221088089

ETA: Just decided to order it myself and placed the order. I don't know why I do this LOL because I have so many unsmelled samples as it is. I mean one can only wear one fragrance at a time right? And I have already found my HG fragrances and keep wearing my favorites hence all the unworn and untried samples I have yet to experience. Yet I am still oh so tempted. Just like with diamonds. Never fully satiated I guess. Perhaps it a problem unique to me but there you go. I will report back when I end up actually wearing these 2016 picks.
::)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I (carefully!!) doused myself in Annick Goutal Ambre Fetish. Old formula, have no idea what the new stuff smells like. Won't even get past 65 degrees today so perfect day for it!

@canuk-girl, Not sure there's enough looking up for her to do if she's just not familiar (I guess for fumies its easy to smell the difference) CF does indeed smell great though!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1483827943|4113378 said:
Arcadian|1483824956|4113369 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I know. she didn't know "tuberose" when I mentioned it...she said she'd have to google it :))

I don't get Jasmine at all....

cheers--Sharon

Ive noticed a lot of untrained or unexperienced noses think white florals are either Gardenia or Jasmine. None the Less Carnal Flower is EXQUISITE!!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Tea scent today, and how I love them! Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur! <3

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Men's fragrance today. I am sampling Spicebomb from Viktor & Rolf. Heavy on the Pepper and Grapefruit with hints of Tobacco. I am enjoying it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have needed a break from all my vanilla scents. They feel closed in and indoors-y. (Which is often great in winter.) I received a large sample of Dame's Mandarin, Neroli and Cedar when I got a bottle of the scent for someone as a gift. I am wearing it today. It is incredibly fresh and I really love it. It is just what I needed. It could be pine trees in the snow.

Deb :wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1483976958|4113743 said:
I have needed a break from all my vanilla scents. They feel closed in and indoors-y. (Which is often great in winter.) I received a large sample of Dame's Mandarin, Neroli and Cedar when I got a bottle of the scent for someone as a gift. I am wearing it today. It is incredibly fresh and I really love it. It is just what I needed. It could be pine trees in the snow.

Deb :wavey:

So intrigued by your description of this fragrance I just ordered a sample (along with two other Dame scents) - so looking forward to receiving this parcel - thank you for your write-up!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Guerlain With Love. A bit like voile de nuit but not as somber.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Wanted an elegant floral today, so I went with Aerins Evening Rose

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is L'Artisan Rappelle-Toi A definite treat for gardenia lovers. and unlike L'artisans, this one really does last a long time. I have the older packaging of this as I have the ginormous 4.2oz bottle. Not sure if they reformulated with the new packaging, but that tends to usually be the case.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1483720500|4112959 said:
I Love Nirvana Bourbon.

I don't get much of any white floral from it until WAY later (like 3-5 hours later) But I love the boozy vanilla!

I liked it! The notes I was getting are all good things, to me. I put more on at the end of the day, overdid it a bit and was smelling straight up phenolic PEAT. Had to message my whisky-loving friend about it, because he's a big peat fan :D I still would like to try to layer it for additional complexity.

Arcadian|1483728099|4113006 said:
So think of it like Pandora's Box. If you like the new, stay with it, don't seek out vintage or older bottles. I got my bottle of Coco from a perfumista who was culling her collection (good and bad for me!) If I had never tried the vintage I would never know. But on the upside, that bottle will likely outlast me with how little I use :)

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense. :)

Today is Givenchy Dahlia Divin Le Nectar. Very sweet.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
missy|1483880829|4113485 said:
For those of you who might not be subscribed to LuckyScent here is their summary of the best of 2016. Of course beauty is in the eye (and nose) of the beholder. :halo:

Good enabling! Ordered it :halo:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.luckyscent.com/lp/em/best-of-2016-for-him-and-her?utm_source=scentletter&utm_medium=2017-1-8_email_Bestof2016&utm_campaign=2017-1-8_email_Bestof2016&utm_source=Luckyscent+Newsletter&utm_campaign=01bb3ae57a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a85e228b9d-01bb3ae57a-221088089

ETA: Just decided to order it myself and placed the order. I don't know why I do this LOL because I have so many unsmelled samples as it is. I mean one can only wear one fragrance at a time right? And I have already found my HG fragrances and keep wearing my favorites hence all the unworn and untried samples I have yet to experience. Yet I am still oh so tempted. Just like with diamonds. Never fully satiated I guess. Perhaps it a problem unique to me but there you go. I will report back when I end up actually wearing these 2016 picks.
::)
I should be embarrassed to say I've already smelled most of these(not)

Its a great set though. Black pepper is not as pungent as I would have thought... I expected something like Caron Poivre. Melodie de l'Amour is gorgous. I have way too many of this genre but oh man... it could be next when I empty a bottle :)

Q

Queenie60

Prada Amber for today! One of my favorites.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elizabethess|1484077805|4114079 said:

Good enabling! Ordered it :halo:

Elizabeth, yay, I am happy to enable! I haven't received it yet but looking forward to it.

Arcadian said:
Its a great set though. Black pepper is not as pungent as I would have thought... I expected something like Caron Poivre. Melodie de l'Amour is gorgous. I have way too many of this genre but oh man... it could be next when I empty a bottle :)

Thanks Arcadian. I have a few HG FBs already but well if I find another amazing perfume in this bunch who am I to say no to another HG FB. :halo:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1484101689|4114219 said:
Prada Amber for today! One of my favorites.

You lucky duck. I can't wear it (it hates me) but can wear Prada L'eau Ambree. Its one of the few of the house of Prada I seriously can't wear.

Today I'm wearing its cousin Chanel Coromandel. Similar but not totally alike. still a beauty though :)

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was seriously dragging this morning, and tried to perk up with Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. It's not my typical type of scent (and not particularly for winter) but did the trick. Very bright, fresh start; smells like the air after peeling citrus. Develops into something a bit soapy and clean on me. I'm not really a soapy/clean scent person, but that opening zing got me going.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results