carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1479849074|4101597 said:
Deb, try L'Occitaine Eau des Baux This is a spiced vanilla with a touch of tobacco. One of my favorites and IMO unisex. Not terribly expensive either so should fit the bill

Thierry Mugler A Men Pure Havane Its more tobacco and honey but vanilla rears its head There's also a touch of dark cocoa. I wore my sample for 2 days. yeah its not exactly manly IMO...lol

Dame Perfumery Black Flower Mexican Vanilla this is just really really good. I got a 5ml sample from their website.....swoon-worthy! Unisex. Worth getting to try it out (they send samples of all types of stuff...they have amazing great stuff!)

Givenchy Pi. I wore that in college :saint: :lol: I really like it, it should have been dubbed unisex frankly. Might be another extreme version of this but I've never smelled it personally.

Thank you, Arcadian. I am making a list!

Deb :wavey:

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Deb, try L'Occitaine Eau des Baux This is a spiced vanilla with a touch of tobacco. One of my favorites and IMO unisex. Not terribly expensive either so should fit the bill

Thierry Mugler A Men Pure Havane Its more tobacco and honey but vanilla rears its head There's also a touch of dark cocoa. I wore my sample for 2 days. yeah its not exactly manly IMO...lol

Dame Perfumery Black Flower Mexican Vanilla this is just really really good. I got a 5ml sample from their website.....swoon-worthy! Unisex. Worth getting to try it out (they send samples of all types of stuff...they have amazing great stuff!)

Givenchy Pi. I wore that in college :saint: :lol: I really like it, it should have been dubbed unisex frankly. Might be another extreme version of this but I've never smelled it personally.
Do you think you could also make some recommendations for me? (see a few posts prior)

Freesia is my makes-everything-better scent, along with tart, peppery scents. Some of my favorites are Calvin Klein Eternity, Gucci II, and Bath & Body Works Sheer Freesia. I've already ordered Byredo Tulipe which sounds promising, as well as a few others based the descriptions on LuckyScents. Are there any others that I must try?

Would really appreciate it! :wavey:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@walkinfaith, IMO its hard to find really good freesia scents that actually reflect the flower, and thats the reason why you don't see me recommend many.

Bath and Body Works has a freesia but its not the original. Most people who never smelled the original absolutely love it. I unfortunately loved the orignal so for me its a no go.

Diptyque Ofresia...yumm its very nice. The freesia here smells very natural, See if Luckyscent carries this one. Depending on the store, bloomingdales also carries Diptyque. IMO I would smell as much of their line as you can.

Outside of freesia here's a few you should check out if you can:

Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita. Its been discontinued which unfortunate but I believe you can still find it for very little. Its fresh but spicy and its got sweetpea!! I'm not a huge sweetpea fan because it can be so sweet and scratchy but it really works here. Unusual scent, you won't find a lot of poeple wearing this one! Its also one of my favorite year round perfumes because even though its spiced, its fresh.

I also think you should try Amouage Journey Woman. Its Osthmanthus but its really gorgeous the added tobacco keeps it from being too boring.

Serge Lutens A La Nuit. Must.Love.Jasmine...lol This is not(thankfully) a jasmine that is indolic (mothball like) its very fresh, the cloves provide a nice kick in the drydown) Uncle serge are all try before buying because you'll probably notice in the line that they tend to use lots of honey. Some people don't like honey. I would never by his stuff blind.

This one will be hard to find...maybe.. but Prada Infusion d'Oeillet Its spicy but soapy carnation and is an infusion from the original Prada No2. It will NOT be as spiced as the original stuff which full on carnation and doesn't always appeal to everyone. If you like the original Infusion d'iris, you'll enjoy this one.

Matter of fact, try all the infusions. I have 7 of the exclusives. Iris was the first, (love it) but love the infusion way more...I'm such a silly duck...lol So ages ago I got a 200ml bottle of Infusion D'iris....lol

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1479871159|4101701 said:
@walkinfaith, IMO its hard to find really good freesia scents that actually reflect the flower, and thats the reason why you don't see me recommend many.

Bath and Body Works has a freesia but its not the original. Most people who never smelled the original absolutely love it. I unfortunately loved the orignal so for me its a no go.

Diptyque Ofresia...yumm its very nice. The freesia here smells very natural, See if Luckyscent carries this one. Depending on the store, bloomingdales also carries Diptyque. IMO I would smell as much of their line as you can.

Outside of freesia here's a few you should check out if you can:

Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita. Its been discontinued which unfortunate but I believe you can still find it for very little. Its fresh but spicy and its got sweetpea!! I'm not a huge sweetpea fan because it can be so sweet and scratchy but it really works here. Unusual scent, you won't find a lot of poeple wearing this one! Its also one of my favorite year round perfumes because even though its spiced, its fresh.

I also think you should try Amouage Journey Woman. Its Osthmanthus but its really gorgeous the added tobacco keeps it from being too boring.

Serge Lutens A La Nuit. Must.Love.Jasmine...lol This is not(thankfully) a jasmine that is indolic (mothball like) its very fresh, the cloves provide a nice kick in the drydown) Uncle serge are all try before buying because you'll probably notice in the line that they tend to use lots of honey. Some people don't like honey. I would never by his stuff blind.

This one will be hard to find...maybe.. but Prada Infusion d'Oeillet Its spicy but soapy carnation and is an infusion from the original Prada No2. It will NOT be as spiced as the original stuff which full on carnation and doesn't always appeal to everyone. If you like the original Infusion d'iris, you'll enjoy this one.

Matter of fact, try all the infusions. I have 7 of the exclusives. Iris was the first, (love it) but love the infusion way more...I'm such a silly duck...lol So ages ago I got a 200ml bottle of Infusion D'iris....lol
Thank you so much, I appreciate it a great deal! I love fragrances but lost interest in the mainstream ones as I got older, but found the whole world of niche perfumes so daunting. When I discovered this treasure trove of a thread with all of you amazing ladies I just had to pick your brains! Thanks again!

ETA - We're about to book a Europe trip for Spring of next year, would any of these fragrances be easier to find there? We're hitting Paris, London, and various points in Italy.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Hi WIF, all I can say is: lucky you! If I was to be heading down the boulevards of gay Paris any day soon I'd go to the flagships of Serge Lutens, Annick Goutal, Parfums de Rosine, Parfums de Nicolai and Frederic Malle. For your request of tart/peppery scents I can suggest Parfum de Therese, (mentioned up-thread by Arcadian), though this is leather, fruit and pepper, while Serge has Vitriol d'Oillet, a reconstructed carnation with pink pepper notes. Annick has Eau du Sud, a sun-kissed ode to lemon tartness. Ahh, the possibilities are endless when you're in Paris, I'd say you'll be delighted by the dedication to the art shown there :) Anyway, hope that helps.

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1479871159|4101701 said:

Are you by any chance talking about the Garden Freesia candle?? That scent makes me seriously euphoric, I could've gotten a million of them but stupidly assumed I could just get more the following week - trying not to hoard. And then it never came back ;(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian,

After a thoroughly enjoyable read about each of the scents, I decided to go with the Dame Perfumery Black Flower Mexican Vanilla. I was afraid that the L'Occitaine Eau des Baux, which was described by several people as a fragrance made more for a man than for a boy, and which was often referred to as woodsy first and only as having a hint of vanilla, might be less light and full of vanilla than my friend wanted. After all, he fell for my strong vanilla perfumes!

The only problem with my choosing that scent was that I wanted to buy myself a bottle, too! The site said it was unisex. But I needed another vanilla scent the way i needed a hole in the head!

I will let you know how he likes it at Christmas!

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1479876862|4101729 said:
Hi WIF, all I can say is: lucky you! If I was to be heading down the boulevards of gay Paris any day soon I'd go to the flagships of Serge Lutens, Annick Goutal, Parfums de Rosine, Parfums de Nicolai and Frederic Malle. For your request of tart/peppery scents I can suggest Parfum de Therese, (mentioned up-thread by Arcadian), though this is leather, fruit and pepper, while Serge has Vitriol d'Oillet, a reconstructed carnation with pink pepper notes. Annick has Eau du Sud, a sun-kissed ode to lemon tartness. Ahh, the possibilities are endless when you're in Paris, I'd say you'll be delighted by the dedication to the art shown there :) Anyway, hope that helps.
Thank you so much for all your recommendations! I'll definitely try to visit all these stores, and look up all the scents!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG you're going to paris??? Sooo Jealous!

I don't know what your timeline and how many days but if you choose to explore outside Paris, Grasse is the place. Molinard and Fragronard are there. You can get in the states (sometimes) but its about the experience. Both are amazing houses. You should be able to find their stuff easily in Paris if you can't get to Grasse. Oh and go to Diptyque!!!

aside from stores mentioned, in Paris, stop by Caron. If you really want spice try Poivre if available. I had a little bottle of it. WHOA! is challenging some days.... Uncle serge has way more available in paris than in the US and those bell jars are of course adorable(will be cheaper than here too!) Malle got purchased by Estee Lauder, but believe that the boutiques have not changed. Estee bought up a lot of smaller companies last few years..... Oh and stop by Guelain (that goes without saying...lol)

In London go by Harrods(I believe they carry Roja Dove) and Amouage boutique. I used to love Goutal...I have my issues with them this last round of releases but still, they're a solid perfume house.

I believe the Freesia used to be called fresh freesia. It was purple body spray which is about all I remember aside from the smell....lol but bath and body works discontinued a lot of my favorites unfortunately.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, your welcome and be prepared to fall in love! Even though its sweeter than I tend to like, I still fell pretty hard for it. When I finish the 5mls I have I will purchase a full bottle for sure.

HOWEVER, if you ever get a chance to try Mona d'Orio Vanille, do. its a drier smoked vanilla with a bit of rum and orange kick. They no longer come in 100ml bottles, but they tend to range just under 200/75ml. Its not terribly easy to find. Luckyscent may have some in stock, so best to get a sample of it.

An easier to find smell alike would be Diptyque Duelle.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scent of the day is Guerlain chamade :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1479896209|4101771 said:
HOWEVER, if you ever get a chance to try Mona d'Orio Vanille, do. its a drier smoked vanilla with a bit of rum and orange kick. They no longer come in 100ml bottles, but they tend to range just under 200/75ml. Its not terribly easy to find. Luckyscent may have some in stock, so best to get a sample of it.

I have an unopened 100 ml bottle of that in my drawer. I also used up a 100ml bottle of Vaniglia Del Madagascar since I started asking questions in this thread and now I am working on another scent. I do not even recall which one. (The bottle is upstairs and I am downstairs and I am too lazy to go look.) From time to time I spray a little of my Le Labo Vanille 44 on my father's aide, but that bottle (100ml) was very hard to come by when I bought it as well as expensive, so I am not anxious just to plow my way through it! I also have a few other bottles around ready to try. I have an unopened Tihota by Indult. I am not really starved for vanilla scents, I just want every wonderful one!

Deb
:saint:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Deb...lol well you got all the goods for sure! If I could find a 2nd bottle of MdO vanille I would have jumped on it. You don't happen to have the shalimar limited editions? I only have Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique shalimar, no lemon, lots of mexican vanilla.

One of the few I could'nt recommend was 7 billion hearts... Some people get very vanilla. I get the wood aisle at home depot...lol

Molinard had a bunch of different vanillas at one point, all EDT but all very well made. I can't find them in the US anymore which is a shame. Vanille Marine was my favorite. If you see them grab, they're nice light but worth it.

I shouldn't enable you....lol

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Melancholy K de Krizia because of dark, chilly and rainy day. Our weather couldn't be worse...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1479942568|4102030 said:

I have an unopened 100 ml bottle of that in my drawer. I also used up a 100ml bottle of Vaniglia Del Madagascar since I started asking questions in this thread and now I am working on another scent. I do not even recall which one. (The bottle is upstairs and I am downstairs and I am too lazy to go look.) From time to time I spray a little of my Le Labo Vanille 44 on my father's aide, but that bottle (100ml) was very hard to come by when I bought it as well as expensive, so I am not anxious just to plow my way through it! I also have a few other bottles around ready to try. I have an unopened Tihota by Indult. I am not really starved for vanilla scents, I just want every wonderful one!

Deb

It's been a while since I checked into this delicious thread and today imagine my surprise when I clicked onto it and saw you mentioned all my favorite perfumes Deb!!!!!

Tihota (TDF), Vaniglia Del Madagascar (TDF), Le Labo Vanille (TDF), and one Arcadian mentioned...Molinard Vanille (not the exact one you mentioned but OMG it is TDF too but it is the original and very hard to find anymore unfortunately). Vaniglia Del Madagascar is perfect for chilly winter days. It really warms the soul. Enjoy and happy smelling!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479996864|4102230 said:
AGBF|1479942568|4102030 said:

Deb

It's been a while since I checked into this delicious thread and today imagine my surprise when I clicked onto it and saw you mentioned all my favorite perfumes Deb!!!!!

Tihota (TDF), Vaniglia Del Madagascar (TDF), Le Labo Vanille (TDF), and one Arcadian mentioned...Molinard Vanille (not the exact one you mentioned but OMG it is TDF too but it is the original and very hard to find anymore unfortunately). Vaniglia Del Madagascar is perfect for chilly winter days. It really warms the soul. Enjoy and happy smelling!!!

Missy I'm so bummed about Molinard not being found here so easily anymore. Love the line so who knows why they pulled back. I got to test one of their newer ones. Its not to my personal taste but does indeed say "molinard" Trying to get my hands on the others.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today its all about warm winds and sunshine so I'm wearing Salvadore Dali LeRoy Soliel. I will NEVER understand why it was discontinued. Its sad.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, ladies! Arcadian and missy! I'm so glad I had a second to check this thread between baking and slipping out the door to go to Thanksgiving! I feel so much a part of a fragrance sisterhood. When I showered this morning I looked at the perfume bottle (the one upstairs that I was too lazy to go see). It is Vanille Absolu by Montale.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
confection, where the heck are you? are you guys getting snow (or worse?) I talked about vanilla so much with Deb that I ended up wearing one yesterday :lol:

Today however its Pour Une Femme de Caron. Not quite cold here, but still, I think it works as the weather is quite dry.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1480088226|4102501 said:
confection, where the heck are you? are you guys getting snow (or worse?) I talked about vanilla so much with Deb that I ended up wearing one yesterday :lol:

Today however its Pour Une Femme de Caron. Not quite cold here, but still, I think it works as the weather is quite dry.

Oh, how I wished it snows!!! No, it rains cold water. It's so nice to have four seasons here in Finland :(sad . Lately I have felt we have just two... when rains a little or when rains like a hell! Temperature just little bit warmer when so called summer and more light, this time a year is so freaking dark.

Today warm, toxic vintage Piguet's Baghari edc. It's delicious.

img_13774.jpg

img_13775.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading how scientists are surprised that certain areas that should have snow right now don't. That is super scary :nono: Its the dry season here and I mean really dry. Not a lick of rain in over 15 days. Its sunny though but thats normal for here.

This evening I put on Cinema. I'm lucky that I have the older version. Newer doesn't have the depth of this stuff. Very much vanilla and floral almonds :lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This a.m. is Balmain VentVert. Its the most recent version (I will admit, I like it more than vintage) Stuff lasts forever and a day... :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger today.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Dolce Floral Drops by Dolce and Gabbana today. Simple and bright

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice ckrickett! I checked the link and thy're sold out. you'll have to tell us how they are! :appl:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
So Far so Good. First 3 days were Ananda, Mon Perfume Gold, and Avant Garde.

The Mon Parfum Gold though, will be a definite purchase for sure, incense, amber, and vanilla with a hint of rose!!! :love: :love: :love:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Also todays fragrance is Le Labo Baie Rose 26!!!! Love this peppery rose

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the old standby memoir woman today

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
walkinfaith|1479859544|4101641 said:

Do you think you could also make some recommendations for me? (see a few posts prior)

Freesia is my makes-everything-better scent, along with tart, peppery scents. Some of my favorites are Calvin Klein Eternity, Gucci II, and Bath & Body Works Sheer Freesia. I've already ordered Byredo Tulipe which sounds promising, as well as a few others based the descriptions on LuckyScents. Are there any others that I must try?

I wanted to give some feedback. I got the gift bottle of Dame Black Flower Mexican Vanilla I am going to give my father's aide, but it was already giftwrapped. However, it came with a lot of Dame samples!

One sample was a 5 ml (so generous!) sample of the Mexican Vanilla. I was going to keep it for myself (of course!) but ended up giving it to another of his aides. However, I got to smell it! As I did all the other fragrances, as the aides (two females and one male) tried them all on! There was a freesia (very nice) and one that I am buying as a gift for another (female) aide as a Christmas gift because we all fell in love with it. It is citrus-y and fresh. It is called Mandarin Neroli and Cedar. She liked it more than the Black Flower Mexican Vanilla I gave her, but the sample size was tiny! I really do recommend that to anyone who likes fresh scents. I won't recommend the freesia because I am not a freesia expert. All I can say is that it smelled pleasant to me. If one likes freesia, perhaps it would be worth getting a sample of it.

Thank you, Arcadian! Good luck, walkinfaith. Report back!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results