shape
carat
color
clarity

Found one diamond earing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maya

Rough_Rock
I found what seems to be a genuine diamond earing (not a set, just one)at the beach. Should an appraisal be the next step? Could I sell it or have the stone placed in a ring setting? But what if it has a laser inscription, could the owner be found?

I''d like to cash out, but I don''t want to rip off the owner if it could be traced back.

Any suggestions?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hello Maya!

A trip to an appraiser will tell you if there IS an inscription on the stone's girdle or not. I don't know the size, but I would be quite impressed if someone took the time to inscribe a diamond in an earring, especially if it was smaller than 1ct... it's usually something people do for e-rings, and not earrings... but your trip to the appraiser should give you more answers.

I suppose if you find no trace of the owner, you could always post up a sign if anyone has lost an earring near the beach or something...(don't mention it was diamond), and see if anything turns up. After that, if you get no takers, it may just be yours to love...

Good luck!

maya

Rough_Rock
I think it's at least 2 CT. Its about twice the size of my 1 CT earings that's for sure! And the clarity is awsome too!

Thanks for your feedback!
3.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
How come I never find 2ct diamonds on the beach? I'm obviously going to the wrong beaches..........

Wonderful find, maya. I wouldn't stress about the previous owner. She's probably claimed on her insurance now anyway. Owning earrings that big, which are the one item women tend to loose the easiest, she would have been mad not to have had insurance.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Since this stone is so big, it would be nice to attempt to find the owner. Have you checked the papers to see if anyone has placed an ad or could you place one?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Holy smokes!
eek.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
No matter what the size you should try to find the owner. It's the right thing to do. It also may have sentimental value to someone as well as financial. Every time an insurance claim is paid out, it affects everyone since that is why rates go up. It's very simple to place an ad somewhere or even contact the police. The policy with the police is usually if it's not claimed after a certain amount of time, it's yours. Honesty is always the best policy.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with momoftwo. You should at least attempt to find the owner--post an ad, have it checked for an inscription, or contact the police, or any combination of the above. Even if she claimed it on her insurance, I can imagine it would be a nightmare to try and find a diamond to match her other, not-missing earring.
14.gif

Of course, you may find that it's just a really nice sim!
2.gif

I found an aquamarine not too long ago....wish it'd been a 2c diamond!!
2.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hey maya!! You found my earring!!! Fedex to JCJD at 123 B.S. Way please!!

OK, just kidding...
12.gif
2 cts - Wow!

Seriously though, I think that Momoftwo, goldengirl, and Nicrez have the best advice so far, so I won´t restate it all here.

Best! JCJD

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
It can be tempting to keep something you find. But, my ethics and morals say no. We turned in a large stone found at my child's college recently. Don't know if it was real or not, but it doesn't matter. I taught my children ethics and it's not theirs or ours to keep just because it was found. It's stealing and lying to keep it. Flat out. My feeling is there is no grey area here. I have an issue with people who do metal searches on the beach at the end of each day. It's kind of creepy to think that someone thinks it's theirs just because they find it. How would you feel if you lost your engagment diamond or a family heirloom and someone kept it or hocked it and kept the money. You have to look at it that way.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/18/2004 9:03:27 PM Momoftwo wrote:

It can be tempting to keep something you find. But, my ethics and morals say no. ----------------

How would you do this - hand the find to the local police? I can only imagine the flood of communication if you'd just announce some jewelry was found and awaits returning
rolleyes.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ana. You can try to leave a posted ad somewhere near the beach area, and the whole police idea is only useful if the person KNOWS to go to the police to file a report in that area specifically... Police stations are not exactly electronic when it comes to a lost and found....

I agree with morals and ethics, and Maya you should totally do what you think is necessary to return it, but there IS only so much you can do before it's probably yours.

A stone that large SHOULD be insured, and if it's not, the person was taught a very expensive lesson if they don't go back to look for it, or file a report...

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think i may have just seen its owner 5 minutes ago in the elevator of the four seasons. she was wearing her 4ct set today, but she looked a little forlorn.
2.gif
(and no, im not $hitting you, this woman honestly had studs that big. it was astounding. i missed my floor.)

good luck.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I do suggest turning it over to the police. Most insurance companies require you to file a police report for anything you're claiming was lost or stolen before they'll just pay out. So, if someone did lose an expensive piece of jewelry that they want their insurance to cover they probably had to file with the local police where it was lost. Which means if someone claims it lost to the police then you turn it in, it's found it's owner. Like I said, before, think about what'd you'd feel if you were the one to lose it. I wouldn't even consider keeping it if it was real. You can have a jeweler look at it first to confirm if it's real, but after that you should try everything to find the owner. I'm just trying to figure out why this is so hard. It's not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results