shape
carat
color
clarity

Found my Colombian Emerald

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After racking my brain researching, I found my first emerald! I decided a while back that I wanted a small, pear shaped emerald bezel set ring for wearing most days. I know, I know...despite all the warnings about how delicate they are LOL But by "most days" I mean most days I actually leave the house (not often right now thanks to COVID) and obviously not 24/7 wear. Basically, not a cocktail ring for special occasions. I determined pretty early on in my research that my priority was treatment level and I wanted as close to "no oil" as possible (meaning graded the ever elusive "none" or no more than "no indications..." per GIA or "insignificant" per AGL or GRS). Obviously color and clarity were important too. Origin, less so, but I was slightly leaning towards Colombian. I ordered a few from GemsNY and had my jeweler call some in, but ended up finding one pre-set in a ring (brand new from a reputable jeweler) on Ebay. The ring itself didn't speak to me, but with free returns I decided to make an offer and give it a shot. As soon as I opened the box, I knew it was the one. Just the color, size and clarity I was looking for, Colombian too and graded "insignificant" by GRS. Not only that, but despite not liking the ring it was set in, I found it to be absolutely stunning IRL! To the point where I was hesitant to remove the emerald from the ring. I took it to my local jeweler who confirmed the emerald matches the GRS report and had nothing but great things to say about it. I asked about sending it off to AGL for second a report, but he didn't think that was necessary. Bonus is the cost of the ring was way less than the other emeralds I had considered and they are able to remove the pear basket and polish the ring, so I will be getting a "bonus ring" out of the deal. These are the best pics I could get in our overcast weather these days, but she is super crisp and has so much fire emanating from her! Will update once she is back from her makeover in a couple weeks. Thanks for letting me share my first significant CS addition!
EmeraldRing1.jpg EmeraldRing2.jpg EmeraldRing3.jpg EmeraldRing4.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Would love to see the profile of your gorgeous ring. Looks well made. Signed piece?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would love to see the profile of your gorgeous ring. Looks well made. Signed piece?

I didn't actually take any profile photos, which I now regret. Here are a couple from the listing.

ETA: I hope I am not ruining the esthetic of the ring by removing the emerald for my own selfish reasons :oops2:

EmeraldRing5.jpg EmeraldRing6.jpg

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one gorgeous emerald! :love: It‘s so glowy.
Ill look forward to your pics, once it comes back from the jeweler.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't actually take any profile photos, which I now regret. Here are a couple from the listing.

ETA: I hope I am not ruining the esthetic of the ring by removing the emerald for my own selfish reasons :oops2:

EmeraldRing5.jpg EmeraldRing6.jpg

#1 you are IMO in no way ruining the aesthetic. #2 in the future if you want to add another pear-shaped stone back there, it would be trivial for a jeweler with a laser welder to weld another pear setting on. So don't worry, because if you change your mind later it's an easy fix!

And thank you re: my avatar! They are 26 caliber-cut emeralds around the diamond.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
#1 you are IMO in no way ruining the aesthetic. #2 in the future if you want to add another pear-shaped stone back there, it would be trivial for a jeweler with a laser welder to weld another pear setting on. So don't worry, because if you change your mind later it's an easy fix!

And thank you re: my avatar! They are 26 caliber-cut emeralds around the diamond.

Thanks for the reassurance. The ring style did not appeal to me at all, but it looked easy enough to convert to what I was looking for. However, when it arrived I was completely wowed by the ring. Looks so much better IRL, but definitely more of a cocktail ring, which is not at all what I am looking for with this project. I'll see how I feel about the ribbon ring once the emerald is removed. I may even decide to sell it.

Love the color of that emerald halo!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
After racking my brain researching, I found my first emerald! I decided a while back that I wanted a small, pear shaped emerald bezel set ring for wearing most days. I know, I know...despite all the warnings about how delicate they are LOL But by "most days" I mean most days I actually leave the house (not often right now thanks to COVID) and obviously not 24/7 wear. Basically, not a cocktail ring for special occasions. I determined pretty early on in my research that my priority was treatment level and I wanted as close to "no oil" as possible (meaning graded the ever elusive "none" or no more than "no indications..." per GIA or "insignificant" per AGL or GRS). Obviously color and clarity were important too. Origin, less so, but I was slightly leaning towards Colombian. I ordered a few from GemsNY and had my jeweler call some in, but ended up finding one pre-set in a ring (brand new from a reputable jeweler) on Ebay. The ring itself didn't speak to me, but with free returns I decided to make an offer and give it a shot. As soon as I opened the box, I knew it was the one. Just the color, size and clarity I was looking for, Colombian too and graded "insignificant" by GRS. Not only that, but despite not liking the ring it was set in, I found it to be absolutely stunning IRL! To the point where I was hesitant to remove the emerald from the ring. I took it to my local jeweler who confirmed the emerald matches the GRS report and had nothing but great things to say about it. I asked about sending it off to AGL for second a report, but he didn't think that was necessary. Bonus is the cost of the ring was way less than the other emeralds I had considered and they are able to remove the pear basket and polish the ring, so I will be getting a "bonus ring" out of the deal. These are the best pics I could get in our overcast weather these days, but she is super crisp and has so much fire emanating from her! Will update once she is back from her makeover in a couple weeks. Thanks for letting me share my first significant CS addition!
EmeraldRing1.jpg EmeraldRing2.jpg EmeraldRing3.jpg EmeraldRing4.jpg

Wow what a find! That is just beyond stunning! Cannot wait to see the two finished rings!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Emerald is gorgeous, so is the ring setting, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

A neon pink red stone would be a great replacement in this setting, IMHO.

DK :))

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Emerald is gorgeous, so is the ring setting, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

A neon pink red stone would be a great replacement in this setting, IMHO.

DK :))

Thanks, @dk168 ! I am not much of a pink person, but I can see how that would look great.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! So pretty!!! Who’s the seller?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautiful emerald!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @JPie ! For reference, here are some of the others I considered. The first one is almost identical in size, Zambian. The two in the second pic are a bit larger, also Zambian and not yet certified but jeweler expected them to be no more than minor (which is too much for me anyway).

BB938791-C912-47E4-8D82-28B9C73553E1.jpeg B5D3D8E2-9086-4D3C-BE53-A0B7D9353685.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect May grass green emerald IMHO. I love the setting too- very vintage and romantic. Well done! :appl:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning emerald wow! How will you set it?
And I actually like the bow ring it is very playful!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh I love that ring, so pretty & playful!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunning emerald wow! How will you set it?
And I actually like the bow ring it is very playful!

Oooh I love that ring, so pretty & playful!

Thank you both! The ring totally caught me off guard as I had no expectation of liking it, but IRL or blew me away. Really unique and lovely. But sadly too cocktail ring-ish for what I am looking for in this project. The emerald will be set in a simple white gold bezel. I want it set low and as protected as possible since I want to wear it a lot.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
The original setting with the emeral is stunning. Even after taking out the emerald, it would be beautiful with another stone in its place, if you were so inclined at a later stage.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
That's a great looking emerald, and pear shaped, too. I just don't see a lot of those and when I do I always do a double take in admiration. Should be more pear emeralds floating around!!! And you got a Columbian one at that. What a score! The cocktail ring is a bonus but I know ;you said its not your thing.. It looks very well made/very structured. Just wondering if the diamonds could be pulled out of that ring and used to halo the emerald, if you wanted to go that route. I'm anxious to see the end result of this project.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Another "buy the old ring and not the new stone" victory. Not all are, but it's a great place to start. I think an old, all-original no-oil is likely to be a prize.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s lovely both the stone and the setting so congrats. I actually really love the setting

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my word! :love: What a fantastic find. The colour, the cut, the shape and THEN you go and put it with a very unusual and gorgeous setting. There's nothing I don't love about it. It's sensational. I also love the mixture of stones on the ring and adore the baguettes. Is there a "show me your Emeralds" thread still? If so, you MUST put it in there so it'll be seen for many years to come! WOW!.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
WOW! I love the ring as is!! And I think it will be just as fabulous without the emerald attached. I can't wait to see pictures!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Late to the thread, but well done! It's a gorgeous emerald! :kiss2:

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I love both rings! And I’m a huge fan of bezels so I love the beautiful simplicity of your emerald ring! Just lovely

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results