shape
carat
color
clarity

Found an old mine cut engagement ring? in Ww2 era costume jewelry

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
i got a lot from an auction that was full of coro, sarah cov, west germany, and other popular costume jewelry designers. Came across an unusually stunning ring. Its stamped "PD" and nothing else. It is a bright yellow color which is confusing because palladium is white.
I understand that PD is the marking of Premier Designs, however they werent in operation until the 70s to whereas everything else in the lot was of the art deco era, including this ring, which struts the same elements of other art deco engagement rings of that time.
Am I crazy?
Why is it yellow?
If it is a diamond it appears to be an old mine/transiotional cut. 20200621_192811.jpg 20200621_192515.jpg 20200621_170404.jpg 20200621_170344.jpg 20200622_083109.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They may have taken the original stone out and popped a Cz in there.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

Ah yes, the premier design ring. I extracted that cubic zirconia to compare to the other rings and loose stones. This also came in the carnegie lot. There was one other premier deisgn ring as well. Both were sold at Macy's, the department store where she got her start, not at the time that she worked that. But a decade or two even later.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Ah yes, the premier design ring. I extracted that cubic zirconia to compare to the other rings and loose stones. This also came in the carnegie lot. There was one other premier deisgn ring as well. Both were sold at Macy's, the department store where she got her start, not at the time that she worked that. But a decade or two even later.

The stones in this ring are nothing like the rest of the rings. I may post an example later. Placed in water, the cubic is clearly visible and refractivr, to wheras the other stones almost dissapear completely, nearly invisible in the water.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CZs come in old cuts, not just modern round brilliants.

This is a mass produced costume jewelry with the main stone a cubic zirconia (and a bad one at that).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones in this ring are nothing like the rest of the rings. I may post an example later. Placed in water, the cubic is clearly visible and refractivr, to wheras the other stones almost dissapear completely, nearly invisible in the water.

The rest of the rings are rhinestones. This is cubic zirconia.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Premier designs is a catalogue home based jewelry show company where you have parties in your home and sell costume jewelry.

I’m pretty sure the elephant pendant is premier designs. I went to a party a few years ago to support an out of work single mother, and there was a lot of elephant selections, and I bought my daughter a small elephant pendant.

That ring is NOT WWII era.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Premier designs is a catalogue home based jewelry show company where you have parties in your home and sell costume jewelry.

I’m pretty sure the elephant pendant is premier designs. I went to a party a few years ago to support an out of work single mother, and there was a lot of elephant selections, and I bought my daughter a small elephant pendant.

That ring is NOT WWII era.

Yes, ive previously stated that i verified the ring as premier designs, as well as one other piece. The elephant i am still working on. I am working to verify every piece before i start deconstructing

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
confused as to why you are deconstructing at all? And if you are going to take it apart why does it matter if you 'verify' each piece...whatever that means.
There is no kind way to describe what you are doing....you are taking cheap costume jewelry (although some of it may still be fun and wearable) and turning it into complete junk - not even wearable.
but hey...I'm sitting here reading along for amusement so I guess we all have our thing....

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
confused as to why you are deconstructing at all? And if you are going to take it apart why does it matter if you 'verify' each piece...whatever that means.
There is no kind way to describe what you are doing....you are taking cheap costume jewelry (although some of it may still be fun and wearable) and turning it into complete junk - not even wearable.
but hey...I'm sitting here reading along for amusement so I guess we all have our thing....

Your order is now ready:
xoxo
1593281600647.png

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

I am a jewelry maker myself. I repurpose old jewelry to make new pieces of my own design for myself my friends and my family.

I also regularly deconstruct fine jewelry that is old and redesign and make my own fine jewelry.
I built a forge at my residence for this reason.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Can we see some of your creations?

Certainly! I am mid construction of a few, would you want to see costume creations or fine jewelry? My fine jewelry is in early stages, mostly my loose stones and concepts, rings deconstructed to be restoned in different colors or settings. My "fine jewelry" looks more like a junk drawer (with lots of gemstones) than anything. its a more delicate matter and harder to commit time to when i have a two year old. I have to hide my materials and loose stones so she doesnt lose eat or destroy them. I have much more costume work, which is what made me want to branch into fine jewelry. I just couldnt ever afford materials, silver, gold etc. I started frequenting auctions to gather scrap jewelry to refine.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I am a jewelry maker myself. I repurpose old jewelry to make new pieces of my own design for myself my friends and my family.

I also regularly deconstruct fine jewelry that is old and redesign and make my own fine jewelry.
I built a forge at my residence for this reason.

Didn't you just ask in your other thread why anyone would do such a thing?

WW2 era also has no overlap with the art deco time period, but even so, this is modern costume jewelry, plated base metal.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I am curious to see both the costume and fine jewelry you create if you are willing to post them. I am a bit out of the box myself regarding some of my jewelry and certainly appreciate handmade.

I am not a professional but I have had several pieces remade and that has always come with a warning that melting down 'scrap' gold of indeterminate alloys may lead to a less than desirable end...especially for a finely finished piece. How do you overcome these difficulties?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um.
How can this ring have belonged to Hattie Carnegie?
She died in 1956 and Premier Designs, the maker of this ring, started in 1985?
And if you have a forge at home for melting down these pieces of jewellery, which arent precious metal, Please be very, very careful. Some of these alloys could contain lead and/or give off dangerous chemical fumes while melting down.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if you have a forge at home for melting down these pieces of jewellery, which arent precious metal, Please be very, very careful. Some of these alloys could contain lead and/or give off dangerous chemical fumes while melting down.

I wonder if altering ones perception is one of the side effects of breathing in lead, cadmium, pot metal fumes?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results