shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a setting for my stone I think. A few questions.

mclix

Rough_Rock
So now that I have the stone, I have been looking for the right setting. After looking online at several in the style she likes, both me and her were not keen in the end of purchasing the actual setting without seeing it with our own eyes and trying it on her finger. So we went to a few places and she found this pave setting she really loves in a band that is thin, which she prefers. The setting in question was at a local Jareds.

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-6055.asp

Now I got my diamond loose online because I know how much more stores can charge, so was wondering if this was a reasonable price for this particular setting. God knows I don't want to get ripped off.

And finally, when I stopped by without her to place it on hold, they offered to put platinum prongs for an additional 359 dollars to hold my 54 point stone. Is that reasonable? I only ask because it seems the settings at JamesAllen and Blue Nile have platinum prongs by default for price ranges of similar value.

Which brings me to my final question, should I stay with the default white gold head or should I switch to platinum? I'm afraid of the diamond getting lost or damaged.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
where did you buy the diamond? That setting is pretty commend and I'd assume you can find on lots of online store. Why don't you just buy the diamond from a online store who has the setting? free setting and everything.

mclix

Rough_Rock
I got the stone at James Allen, but did not like any of the settings and the closest I saw there was one in a French cut pave, which she does not like. The others were cathedral style which she doesn't like. I've tried to find a setting like that online but no luck so far.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1303833281|2905375 said:
I completely agree. The setting from Jared is just really inelegant.

I think the BGD fishtail pave with truth head looks like your best option. You could also contact BGD and see if they could make this setting with smaller melee:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5522

Lula

Ideal_Rock
mclix, did you buy the asscher you posted the link to? Or did you end up with a round stone?

I'm going to go against the crowd here and suggest that you stick with the setting you found at Jared's if your fiance likes it and has tried it on -- unless you know for sure that she would be okay with you getting a similar setting from a different (non-local) vendor. I would not, however, give Jared's one dime more to switch out the head to platinum, and do not, whatever you do, pay extra for their lifetime warranty program. Just get the ring insured through Jeweler's Mutual or add a rider to your homeowner's or renter's policy. Did Jared's say how much they would charge you to set your stone in the setting?

Also, will Jared's insurance cover your stone while they are setting it? If not, you may want to get your stone insured through Jeweler's Mutual (they will insure loose stones, I believe) or your local insurance company, if they are willing to insure loose stones, before you have it set -- by anyone other than James Allen -- just to be on the safe side.

mclix

Rough_Rock
I really like the one from Gabriel and Co. that you linked me to. And it is very similar to the one that she picked out.

As for the stone, I purchased it from James Allen about a month ago. It's an "asscher" cut just a little over half a carat. Here is the stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1316104.asp

Yeah, she loves pave settings the best and wants a band on he thinner side. One day we stopped by Jareds to get an idea for settings since none of the ones listed on James Allen or Blue Nile struck her fancy. She saw that one and she really really liked it because it was thin and pave and loved how the stones went almost all the way around.

That said, I did get an uneasy feeling when they offered me platinum prongs for 359 dollars more. Only because I have been shopping around online at sites recommends here on PS and saw rings in the same price range and of metal and diamond quality with the prong metal already being platinum.

Yeah, she tried it on and loved it. However of all the rings we saw, that was the only one inthat style that we managed to find. So I am open to ideas I can toss to her. Also keep in mind that she got all worked up with joy when the saleswoman let her try it on with a stone on it, so it may have been her initial reaction of staring at her finger and seeing the sparkles.

The Gabriel and Co. one looks very similar. Opinions? I don't know much about rings, so input would be much appreciated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Gaberial setting is very pretty. It *is* pretty thin so she will need to take care.

mclix

Rough_Rock
Anyone any experience with ID Jewelery? Will they set a loose stone from JA for me? Or is it better to order t over the phone and get it mounted down here in Florida? I get nervous about shipping the stone to NY.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mclix|1303910336|2906124 said:
Anyone any experience with ID Jewelery? Will they set a loose stone from JA for me? Or is it better to order t over the phone and get it mounted down here in Florida? I get nervous about shipping the stone to NY.

ID jewelry has a very good reputation here so no worries there. I'm not sure what their policy is on setting other vendors stone's though. ou probably can just call or email them and ask. Someone else here might know as well. You'll also want to check on insurance on the stone since someone other than the vendor is setting it. I'd suggest sending the stone to NY to have it set by designer. USPS registered mail is very, very safe, although a slow. You can always over night it fed ex or something if that gives you more peace of mind. You will probably have a hard time finding a jeweler set a stone you didn't buy from them into a setting you didn't buy from them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1303837647|2905426 said:
mclix, did you buy the asscher you posted the link to? Or did you end up with a round stone?

I'm going to go against the crowd here and suggest that you stick with the setting you found at Jared's if your fiance likes it and has tried it on -- unless you know for sure that she would be okay with you getting a similar setting from a different (non-local) vendor. I would not, however, give Jared's one dime more to switch out the head to platinum, and do not, whatever you do, pay extra for their lifetime warranty program. Just get the ring insured through Jeweler's Mutual or add a rider to your homeowner's or renter's policy. Did Jared's say how much they would charge you to set your stone in the setting?

Also, will Jared's insurance cover your stone while they are setting it? If not, you may want to get your stone insured through Jeweler's Mutual (they will insure loose stones, I believe) or your local insurance company, if they are willing to insure loose stones, before you have it set -- by anyone other than James Allen -- just to be on the safe side.

Pretty stone :sun: Big ditto to everything Lula said.

If she loved *that* setting and has seen some others, then likely best to go with *that* setting - what we on this forum think doesn't matter :)) I would ask that they set the stone lower, it looks like it could get pummeled - especially since she's not used to wearing a ring on that finger.. JM will insure loose stones for shipping and setting, you'll need the sales receipt if under 5k or an appraisal if over. Get it insured w/ JM or another independent vendor regardless of what Jared offers you in the way of setting insurance, and ditto - don't pay extra for any "setting upgrades".

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always had gold prongs for my ring (31 years) and never had a problem so not sure you really need to have platinum prongs. Also if you buy at Jared, they will replace your prongs free if you have the warrantee.

mclix

Rough_Rock
I agree that it is her choice since I took her with me to find a setting so she can be involved in it as well. That said, I did show her the Gabriel & Co. setting, asking her simply what does she think, and her response was, "looks exactly the same as the one we chose".

I showed her the picture of the one from Jared's and pointed out the bigger prongs on it. She still says it looks the same to her lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really prefer this one of the options because the stone is seated a little lower: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-White-Gold-Pave-Set-4-Prong-Ring.html Also, it is offered by the jeweler who provided your diamond, meaning (double check) that they will take responsibility for the stone during setting and might not charge a setting fee. It sounds like your gf like the pave band and the open gallery of the ring, and is otherwise not super picky. So I would go with the JA one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And gold prongs are fine.

mclix

Rough_Rock
Any reason why any of those lifetime warranties are useless? Does say Jewlers Mutual cover standard wear and tear? And if they do, it's not worth it to pick it up haut for the free cleaning and re-plating?

I e-mailed Gabriel and Co. to see if I can use that ring for my stone. Because I learned that the setting is for a 1 carat round :( Bummer.

mclix

Rough_Rock
Spoke to Luanne on the phone and she was very nice. Called me back within ten minutes and said they would adjust the head for my stone and the extra charge for the customization was inexpensive. She quoted me at 650 flat, and told me to jot down in the comment box when I place the order that I spoke to her and the rate she gave me along with the specifications I want. She also said if I choose to do so, they can send my setting to James Allen so they can set the stone for me :)

mclix

Rough_Rock
Think I will have James Allen set it. Called several stores in my area and they were asking 300 to 350 dollars to set my stone as opposed to 100 that James Allen will charge me when I spoke to them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a good plan. I like the diamond vendor to set the stone when at all possible so that in the unlikely event the stone was damaged during setting, they would have the liability.

mclix

Rough_Rock
Concerns about ID Jewelery

So anyone buy from ID Jewelery? Reason I ask is that I placed an order last Friday after speaking with Luanne on the phone. She sent me an e-mail asking for the dimensions of my stone for the head. Did so but did not get a response from her. I called and they told me she was with a customer and she would call me back. Never did.

Monday rolls around, and I check the website and see my order is still processing, but I would like to know some ballpark estimates. Any information. Sent her an e-mail. That was Monday, no reply.

Called today, asked about my order. They told me who helped me make my purchase and I said who, they told me to hold on. They came back, told me Luanne was busy with a customer but would call me right back.

I never got a call back :/

This is concerning to me. Why can't they reply to my e-mail or even talk to me on the phone or at the very least call me back?

I know they have my order because it's been "processing" since last Friday on my account page on the site. But would like some more information. Anything.

redundant

Rough_Rock
Re: Concerns about ID Jewelery

mclix|1305166765|2919319 said:
So anyone buy from ID Jewelery? Reason I ask is that I placed an order last Friday after speaking with Luanne on the phone. She sent me an e-mail asking for the dimensions of my stone for the head. Did so but did not get a response from her. I called and they told me she was with a customer and she would call me back. Never did.

Monday rolls around, and I check the website and see my order is still processing, but I would like to know some ballpark estimates. Any information. Sent her an e-mail. That was Monday, no reply.

Called today, asked about my order. They told me who helped me make my purchase and I said who, they told me to hold on. They came back, told me Luanne was busy with a customer but would call me right back.

I never got a call back :/

This is concerning to me. Why can't they reply to my e-mail or even talk to me on the phone or at the very least call me back?

I know they have my order because it's been "processing" since last Friday on my account page on the site. But would like some more information. Anything.

Hi, I honestly think you have nothing to worry about. I purchased the Gabriel & Co setting from IDJ and they were great. The setting takes 10-14 business days to be cast, and I indeed have to wait that amount of time until it was in my hands. I know that IDJ might have been closed over the weekend + Monday and Tuesday, but they normally got back to me within 24 hours. I usually deal with Yekutiel who is an awesome dude but I also have heard great things about Luanne as well. I am sorry to hear that they haven't been as prompt in your dealings with them, but trust me you have nothing to worry about. You are in good hands =)

mclix

Rough_Rock
Good to hear :)

Luanne just called me this morning and she was very nice, told me the ring shall be ready by tomorrow and even offered to have my stone set for free :)

That was quite nice!

Now to just send it insured over their way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results