carat
color
clarity

Found A Phosphorescent Diamond, Help!

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Greetings Expert Price-Scopers ;
This evening I discovered a Diamond I own is not only Fluorescent but also Phosphorescent - It glows bright Yellow for around 5 seconds than fades to a chalky white colour (still illuminated) for around 10 seconds.

I'd love to know any more info on Phosphorescent diamonds as many I've seen on the Net are Fancy Coloured Diamonds not Colorless Stones.

Stone Stats;

0.96ct Marquise

10.06 x 5.22 x 3.02

H

VS1

Strong Blue Fluo

IGI (Mumbai)

I was looking to move this stone on as lately I've not really worn it & Now I've discovered it's Phosphorescent I am even more motivated to pass it on to someone who will appreciate it more than I rather than have it languish in my Jewelry Box for another year.

I apologize if my post Breaches any PS Guidelines.

inCollage_20190907_220305572.jpg

Attachments

• inCollage_20190907_220305572.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 103
  • inCollage_20190907_220305572.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s pretty cool! I have a small colourless diamond that phosphoresces pink-orange.
If you’re looking to sell this, create a listing on Loupetroop or Diamond Bistro and link it in the PS Preloved forum.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That’s pretty cool! I have a small colourless diamond that phosphoresces pink-orange.
If you’re looking to sell this, create a listing on Loupetroop or Diamond Bistro and link it in the PS Preloved forum.[/QUOTE

Thank-You for the info, I'm unsure what to price it at, does the Phosphorescence increase the value?

So many questions lol

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pics of the ring & Cert IMG_20190907_230725.jpg
IMG_20190727_174446.jpg IMG_20190907_231322.jpg

Reactions: AV_

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
videotogif_2019.09.08_02.36.57.gif

Here's a short GIF of the Stone Phosphoresceing I had to cut it down to 3 seconds but it stays glowing for around 10 seconds in total - Sadly my Phone Camera isn't picking up the Subtle Colour Change of Yellow to Pale Yellow than a Chalky White it looks like it's bright yellow than boom white that's not the case.

Also the room is totally dark the light you are seeing after is still the Stone glowing, I apologise for the shakiness but it was dark & I was balancing the camera :lol:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's super cool but zero clue about how much it's worth asking. How long ago did you buy it? Diamonds on the 2nd hand market usually sell for like 60ish% of what someone paid from a random store (a bigger % if from a known vendor or if it's something hard to find).

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How cool! =)2

I think it's super cool but zero clue about how much it's worth asking. How long ago did you buy it? Diamonds on the 2nd hand market usually sell for like 60ish% of what someone paid from a random store (a bigger % if from a known vendor or if it's something hard to find).

Thank-You for that useful bit of info I bought it around 5yrs ago I'd be happy to get 60% of the original purchase price - I know I'd never get what I paid for it but it'd be nice if the Phosphorescence did put a few extra $$$ on lol

But it's only worth what someone will pay!

L

lydial

I would be the kind of person tempted to buy something like this because minerals are hugely exciting to me. This crosses the line between a cool mineral and of course a gem. Super find!

L

lydial

BDE4D64C-EE2A-4FC3-81D8-ABF556DED9BD.jpeg F66DA5EB-84CC-46CB-B162-2AB2844A683D.jpeg

I would be the kind of person tempted to buy something like this because minerals are hugely exciting to me. This crosses the line between a cool mineral and of course a gem. Super find!

Strike that. I already have fun glowing things! I just grabbed my UV flashlight and guess what? My “medium” GIA fluorescent (which I call very strong, see pic above) 1.15 ct in my cluster phosphoresces yellow for about 15 seconds !!!! I had never checked! I took a crappy photo; AND my CBI, which has no visible fluorescence, also phosphoresces !! (only if you hold it right up to your eye in the pitch dark after exposing to UV light, it lasts about 5 seconds but it definitely does!) AND one of my studs (the true medium fluorescent one) briefly phosphoresces white - about 10 seconds; my T&Co melee around my cluster don’t do anything, nor do my baguettes, nor does my other stud. (I have a pair of 2 ctw true antique old mine cut diamonds I harvested from a moi et toi ring that was at least Victorian, maybe older, and had set in Stuller 8 prong martini studs because they aren’t really any shape, they are kind of rounded with the occasional point - they are wonky and totally different from each other, and I wear them constantly. And one fluoresces and the other does not!)

I can’t wait to show my son tomorrow...!

Attachments

• D6A24DA9-772A-4056-BA94-7FD512A74810.jpeg
    D6A24DA9-772A-4056-BA94-7FD512A74810.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 43

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
that Is so awesome

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
BDE4D64C-EE2A-4FC3-81D8-ABF556DED9BD.jpeg F66DA5EB-84CC-46CB-B162-2AB2844A683D.jpeg

Strike that. I already have fun glowing things! I just grabbed my UV flashlight and guess what? My “medium” GIA fluorescent (which I call very strong, see pic above) 1.15 ct in my cluster phosphoresces yellow for about 15 seconds !!!! I had never checked! I took a crappy photo; AND my CBI, which has no visible fluorescence, also phosphoresces !! (only if you hold it right up to your eye in the pitch dark after exposing to UV light, it lasts about 5 seconds but it definitely does!) AND one of my studs (the true medium fluorescent one) briefly phosphoresces white - about 10 seconds; my T&Co melee around my cluster don’t do anything, nor do my baguettes, nor does my other stud. (I have a pair of 2 ctw true antique old mine cut diamonds I harvested from a moi et toi ring that was at least Victorian, maybe older, and had set in Stuller 8 prong martini studs because they aren’t really any shape, they are kind of rounded with the occasional point - they are wonky and totally different from each other, and I wear them constantly. And one fluoresces and the other does not!)

That is amazing!!
I'm glad you've found some Phosphorescent stones right under your nose great pics btw I know it can be hard trying to capture it!

Thanks for sharing! :love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

That's cool, I am so glad for you! This is some nerdy fun for the rock collector :)

I double-checked last night and my phosphorescent stone looked white, but if I hold my blacklight flashlight on it for a minute or so and get it really excited it's actually whitish-yellow when I turn off the light. It lasts quite a while, up to a minute, but the camera can't catch it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are able, please use a UV-C, short wave UV light, to see what happens. It might even be a stronger effect. We'd like to know how that wavelength changes things. Be very careful with your eyes doing all of this, long or short wave below 405nm.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If you are able, please use a UV-C, short wave UV light, to see what happens. It might even be a stronger effect. We'd like to know how that wavelength changes things. Be very careful with your eyes doing all of this, long or short wave below 405nm.

I'm using this one, with 395. Mine will glow up to about a minute, but too faint for film. The longer I charge it the longer it lasts.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank-You so much for the info it's much aappreciated! Where could I purchase a short wave UV Light Amazon, eBay?

Also if you can answer how does the Phosphorescence affect the price of the Stone? I'm at a total loss really I'm quite unsure, does the length of time it Glows effect the price aswell as the strength & hue?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions lol total layman here!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank-You so much for the info it's much aappreciated! Where could I purchase a short wave UV Light Amazon, eBay?

Also if you can answer how does the Phosphorescence affect the price of the Stone? I'm at a total loss really I'm quite unsure, does the length of time it Glows effect the price aswell as the strength & hue?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions lol total layman here!

https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/shortwave-ultraviolet-lamp/

As @oldminer said, be careful when using it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of phosphorescence affecting price, but it might help sell it to someone who just likes fluroescence and phosphorescence!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow it’s amazing! I have a tiny rose cut that phosphoresces and it make me so happy!

yours is beautiful!

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
Oh, that's the "afterglow" my 2.09 rb with strong blue florescence has! It has a little residual glow after I leave wherever I am (or turn off my black light flashlight) for a few seconds!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
a very cool stone!!!!

i like fluorescent stones and i have a couple (including small earrings that i specifically hunted down for), but only by accident did i find that I had other stones that fluoresces.... and, I like the fact that your phosphoresces!

not sure if the phosphorescence will add $ but, it may sell it a more select group of ppl- ppl that like these kinds of differences in a stone.

Good luck for a quick sale.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
a very cool stone!!!!

i like fluorescent stones and i have a couple (including small earrings that i specifically hunted down for), but only by accident did i find that I had other stones that fluoresces.... and, I like the fact that your phosphoresces!

not sure if the phosphorescence will add $ but, it may sell it a more select group of ppl- ppl that like these kinds of differences in a stone.

Good luck for a quick sale.

Thank-You Greg, Luckily I found a Quick sale from a lovely Fellow PSer It couldn't of gone more smoothly, I am very Grateful to her & Pricescope, it's such a good place to buy & sell!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stumbled on this Instagram post and thought of this thread! It is illustrating MMD fluorescence but covers LW vs SW excitation :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results