shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who like steaks...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you like yours, in terms of cut, how it is cooked and what to serve with etc.?

I love a thick Ribeye steak; cooked rare; with chips/fries (triple cooked if available); onion rings; fried mushrooms; creamed spinach or stir-fried vegetables in colder months or a lightly dressed green salad in the warmer months; a creamy garlicky blue cheese sauce in a small dish on the side for dunking in the colder months or a squeeze of lemon and English or Dijon mustard in the warmer months.

Being on my own, I seldom cook a roast dinner except for Christmas and Boxing Days. I prefer to have a steak instead, usually get a bigger piece so that I could share it with the pets (the dog will share the chips/fries, the cat does not care about them).

I seldom have steaks when I go out to eat, as I can make a very decent steak dinner at home, and a lot cheaper! Except for a steak tartare, and I like to do the mixing myself so that I can omit ketchup in the mix as I don't like it (too sweet).

How about everyone else?

DK :))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is making me so hungry today I swear. I don't eat much meat but nothing beats one done on the grill in the summer with grilled veggies. Steak is so ridiculously expensive here, I think all we buy is sirloin or new york strip. Or whatever is on sale, lol.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ribeye MR please.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've cut way back on beef, but a couple times a year I gotta splurge on a thick boneless NY steak.
I wait till Costco has them on sale, 4 to a package.
I'll cook one, (plenty for two, plus leftovers) and individually vacuum seal the other 3 and freeze em.

I love the below cast iron steak recipe. :lickout:
I use one of those $16 laser thermometers to know when the pan really reaches 500 F.

Then I use a digital probe thermometer to know when the center of the steak reaches 122 F, since over cooking is death to a nice steak.
Using one of those screens over the pan will reduce clean up.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite steaks are dry-aged short loin tails from Flannery Beef. They’re actually considered scraps from aging strips/filets, but they’re divinely tender and flavorful! Second favorite would be Flannery’s CA Reserve ribeyes.

I like a nice, thick cut, at least 1 1/4”, salted overnight or longer and cooked using the reverse sear method.

I keep the sides simple with some combination of Caesar salad, sautéed mushrooms, roasted carrots, and roasted broccoli rabe.

Edit: I made steak tartare at home once and it couldn’t be easier! I’m lucky that I have a good butcher I can trust for tenderloin.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my probing questions for a potential new gentleman friend is how he likes his steaks.

If he says a fillet cooked well done (as in to death to me), then there is no hope that we would get on!

DK :bigsmile:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my probing questions for a potential new gentleman friend is how he likes his steaks.

If he says a fillet cooked well done (as in to death to me), then there is no hope that we would get on!

:lol: My best friend ate his steaks well done until he met me. Now he will not eat anything more cooked than medium rare! There is hope.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... PS is killing me today with all the food talk! LOL

Steak is probably my favorite protein. I like it rare to medium rare, with a good crust. I love to cook them in a cast iron skillet with only salt and pepper (but very liberal salting).

I went out with a guy once who ordered a rather expensive filet WELL DONE. He never got a second date, as we obviously have fundamental differences. LOL

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL yes PS is filled with food talk today. :lol:

I am a pescetarian but when I was little I used to eat meat and my favorite was Skirt Steak. My dad grilled it on our charcoal BBQ and my mom made a special marinade for it and the secret ingredient was Coca Cola and I believe (but now I am unsure and will have to double check with her) duck sauce. Anyway it was delicious.

Onto sides. Always a big fresh salad and grilled veggies. Grilled peppers, onions, brussel sprouts, corn. You name a veggie and we loved eating it grilled. Yummm.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh!! I forgot to answer about which cut and sides...

I love a good marbled ribeye! (I leave the fat on... and eat it) *don't judge* :shifty:

I like pretty much anything savory with steak... but some of my favorites are:

- Japanese style green beans (sweet and garlicky)
- creamed spinach
- any type of potato
- wedge salad with extra blue cheese and balsamic

We just had steak last night, but I may need it again. Tonight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL yes PS is filled with food talk today. :lol:

I am a pescetarian but when I was little I used to eat meat and my favorite was Skirt Steak. My dad grilled it on our charcoal BBQ and my mom made a special marinade for it and the secret ingredient was Coca Cola and I believe (but now I am unsure and will have to double check with her) duck sauce. Anyway it was delicious.

Onto sides. Always a big fresh salad and grilled veggies. Grilled peppers, onions, brussel sprouts, corn. You name a veggie and we loved eating it grilled. Yummm.

YES!! My husband does a marinade with real Coke, Worcestershire sauce, and a packet (or two) of Good Seasonings that is so good!!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I also do the cast iron method Kenny posted---using prime boneless steak from Costco. Aim for 2" thick. We usually buy the whole roast and slice it into steaks ourselves so we can control the thickness. I feel it is superior to anything we have done on the grill and as good as any steak we have had in a high-end restaurant.
Be aware that a 500 degree cast iron pan is blazing hot and a regular hot pad is NOT sufficient.
We have a high temp glove for this method.

We cook to 125 degrees for medium rare and you must let it rest. It is also important to take the steak out an hour before cooking to let it come to room temp. If you have time--you can dry age in the fridge overnight (google methods).

I write cooking time notes on my recipe--that way I know about how long it will take depending on thickness, because sometimes I don't have 2" thick steaks.

Sides---well, mashed potatoes or spinach gratin is classic. But really the steak is the star. I prefer plain but some in our house like a blue cheese sauce for dipping, plus sautéed mushrooms.
And obviously---a nice cabernet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG how did I forget sweet potatoes. My very favorite side ever. I eat sweet potatoes every single day. I love them that much!

sweetpotatoesandbrusselsprouts.png

My favorites are the white skinned yams. Don't have a photo of those however. Anyway I have to stop talking about food because I really ate my weight in food today and I am getting ready for bed. Must stop thinking about food. :P2

YES!! My husband does a marinade with real Coke, Worcestershire sauce, and a packet (or two) of Good Seasonings that is so good!!

Sounds delish. My mom wouldn't tell anyone her secret "sauce" for years but eventually she spilled the beans. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I went out with a guy once who ordered a rather expensive filet WELL DONE. He never got a second date, as we obviously have fundamental differences. LOL

You shouldn't judge us men by our meat.
Naughty naughty. :naughty: :mrgreen:

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I know what I love but thank everyone for that added "tips". If I prepare at home, ( I prepare all the sides), I just eat the protein and a big bowl of vegetable or kale salad. If we go out for steak I EAT IT ALL!

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love steak. It is definitely my favourite meat! My husband is from Alberta (known for beef) and honestly he gets sick of steak how often I want to eat it lol. I don't care what its served with. I've literally eaten just a steak on its own ( #sorrynotsorry).
I see most people are ribeye fans, I'm normally a bone in rib eye (rib steak) fan. But I will literally eat any steak. I normally buy whatever is on sale and stock up. NY, sirloin, flank. Filet is prob my least favourite, but I buy it for tartare and wellington. I will say, I really dislike T-bone steaks. I hate a bone in the middle, makes it so hard to eat. Id rather have the filet or the strip steak, bit don't want them together.

I normally just BBQ them. I don't like cooking steaks inside.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a fillet. Thirty seconds past mooing, please.
With a peppercorn sauce...
I was already hungry...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised no one mentioned wagyu yet. How do y’all feel about it?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 your post was wonderfully mouth-watering! I couldn’t finish reading the rest of the thread, I’m too hungry now.

I love the way you have your steak, except for the blue cheese -something I’ve tried and tried to get a taste of, but just can’t. Other than that, yummy!:lickout:

My favourite is rib steak (ie with the bone) cooked on a real charcoal barbecue. Maybe some marinade with garlic. Served with baked potato, sour cream and some sort of vegetable. And of course, a nice robust red wine.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! Steak is my all time favorite though I am not really a meat eater (contradicting??). I love all cuts eg sirloin, striploin, T-bone or ribeye but not really fillet (cos I love the fat) in medium rare or medium, minimal seasoning preferably just salt & pepper, leafy greens or grilled veg with any potatoes except fries.

Wagyu - though tasty & tender, it lacks texture, to me.
Moreover due to its high price, never get to eat an entire serving to myself ;-)

My last serving was in London Flat Iron on 31/12/19 @ Covent Gardens branch. Was really good & juicy & the price was so reasonable. Didn’t know what cut my son ordered though...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went out with a guy once who ordered a rather expensive filet WELL DONE. He never got a second date, as we obviously have fundamental differences. LOL
Just because he ordered a steak well done? :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because he ordered a steak well done? :confused:

Yup. As I mentioned before, how a gent like his steak is a good indicator of compatibility for me too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised no one mentioned wagyu yet. How do y’all feel about it?

Not keen as I found them too soft and not worth the premium price they command.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone else cut off the strip of fat on a rump or sirloin, cut into smaller pieces, then fried until crispy separately, seasoned with salt and pepper before eating them?

I forgot to mention, steak dinner must be washed down with a large glass of red wine, nothing else would do for me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention, steak dinner must be washed down with a large glass of red wine, nothing else would do for me.

I'm not a wine drinker... how about a few shots of cognac? I Bought a case last month. Got a good deal. :dance:

1581667629493.png

Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a wine drinker... how about a few shots of cognac? I Bought a case last month. Got a good deal. :dance:

1581667629493.png

Afterwards perhaps.

Why am I not surprised that you like cognac and this brand? It's my dad's second favourite after Hennessey XO. :bigsmile:

The way he knocked it as in neat like wine still gives me shrudders to this day. What a waste!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My choice would be almost identical to yours @dk168, except I’d have a vat of blue cheese sauce on the side rather than a small dish, or possibly bearnaise.

Now I want steak with a fried egg on top for breakfast!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afterwards perhaps.

Why am I not surprised that you like cognac and this brand? It's my dad's second favourite after Hennessey XO. :bigsmile:

:))
I have always prefered Cordon Bleu over XO. That just me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like my food swimming in gravy or a sauce except for noodle soups.

The way I make my blue cheese sauce is not for dieters, as it is made with chopped garlic gently fried in a bit of butter, add double cream and gently reduced by about half the volume, before crumbling a big chunk of blue cheese into it. Yum!

I made this for one of my best friends when both of them came to visit me while I camped a nearby camp site and cooked them steak dinner from my camp kitchen, and she says she can't make it as nice as mine no matter how hard she tried, bless her!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always prefered Cordon Bleu over XO. That just me.

My dad will turn in his grave I am sure when I say I can't tell the difference between the two!

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results