shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of you with warmer colored diamonds..

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm going H VS2 next time, but I wouldnt change this one as it was the right stone for the right price at the time.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
pancake|1307835375|2943630 said:
My engagement ring diamond is an E, but I have a few antique stones that are in the K-L-M range. For my old stones, I love and embrace the colour and don't think I would love them as much if they weren't so creamy and warm - it seems to meld with the cut to make it something quite delicious!

But for everything else I am a high colour girl. I am not an RB gal, but in RBs I prefer the icy colours aesthetically, and in step cuts I definitely prefer colorless stones.

I feel the same as pancake--I really love warmth in antique stones. It's almost like the stone is lit with soft candlelight at all times and I find it very appealing. I am really focused on getting a low-color antique stone for a RHR at some point.

I'm not much of an RB girl, but I am a step-cut girl at heart. When shopping for asschers for my e-ring, I was really drawn to high-color stones because I love how the whiteness accentuates the architectural appeal of a step cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring, studs, and pendant are all G-H, VS, and that is my sweet spot for modern round brilliants. I did order (and return) some AV OEC's in I-J color, and I could see the color compared with my other diamonds. They were just not as bright on my ears as my previous H color stones. Part of that had to do with the higher crown angles probably as people say that shallower crowns are better than higher for pendants and earrings. My ACA's were bright fireballs in comparison and I certainly wanted the diamonds to show up on my ears! I think ideal cut makes a huge difference and I have seen beautiful I-J stones that looked whiter than the color would suggest.

That said, I am open to I-J color for an AVC. The larger facets seem to lend themselves better to lower colors, I think, but I realize I will have to see them in person to know how I'd feel. I hope I love them because I think that will be the only way another ring diamond would be in my future!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307824719|2943514 said:
I enjoy trolling older threads on PS and found an interesting one. I thought it could be a good question to ask now, with a new crop of PSers! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-those-of-you-with-warmer-colored-diamonds.42894/

For those of you with warmer colored diamonds (I/J or lower), would you go with the same color again or "next time" would you get a more colorless stone?

I have a J and if I could do it all over again I would get an L or M. I wouldn't go "higher". I would go "lower". And bigger ;-)

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is G VS2. I sometimes think I should have gone lower in colour to max out the size, but oh well. I love my diamond and I'm too silly and sentimental to change it.

I also own a K/L antique cushion and I love how buttery it is. If anything I wish it had more colour!

I recently bought a Q and an R and I loved them both. I would have kept them if they'd been better cut.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The short answer is, I dunno! :tongue:

The long answer is: well, it's like this, it's like I'm in a tug of war. On the one hand, I live in Singapore and people here in SG specifically and in Asia in general (businesses and consumers alike) mostly advocate and obsess (yeah, that's right) over higher colours and clarities. I've spoken about this here often and this fact has been backed my many other threads by other PS'ers and the experts on this board. But of course, there are those like myself who for one reason or another (perhaps they belong to or lurk on PS), choose the warmer colours in order to maximise the size within a given budget and/ or because the warmer colours appeal more to them.

My diamonds are/ have been within a wide range of colours: from D, E, F to J and K. I've traded in the K's for the J's and have from time to time wished I'd gotten H's or I's; but you know what, I'm at peace with my J studs. They are beyond gorgeous!! :love: :love: It's the cut that makes a HUGE different to a diamond's appearance. I've order another I or J Octavia asscher from GOG and will await its arrival before I can make any comment.

I've for the past few months in particular been drooling at the old cuts, no doubt due to gorgeous sparklies shown on PS. Saw some gorgeous asschers and OEC's and OMC's during my (home) visit to London recently. They were mostly warmer colours but there were a few in the D-E-F categories. I will tell yout this, I loved them all. They were just divine!! :love: :love: :love:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My real e-ring (I say real because I just made a second e-ring to have something to alternate with) is an F/G. It's graded a G by GIA but has been appraised four times as an F. My five stone and my stud earrings are all Ideal cut Gs. I have one pair of perfectly matched Ideal cuts that I made earrings out of, they're Hs and those are set in yellow gold. Then I bought a stone to replace the stone I was to inherit from my mother and that stone was certified as a J. The J is set into a solitaire mounting and the coordinating diamond band is made of F/G stones. I can't help it, but I'm very color sensitive and I can easily see the difference between my new e-ring and new nine stone band. I'm definitely an F/G and Ideal cut H chick. I don't care for seeing "some" tint of yellow in my stone. On the other hand, I would LOVE to own a W to Z canary diamond like Amey's. It's either white diamonds or clearly yellow diamonds for me. But that's just me!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love J and below color diamonds, but they only work with my skin tone in the summer, when I have a little bit of a tan. Interestingly, I've also discovered that I don't like yellow gold on me as much in the winter as I do in the summer, so maybe what I need is a yellow-gold-lower-color-diamond for the summer months, and a white-metal-with-a-whiter-diamond set for the winter months? My fingers are different sizes in the summer and winter anyway, so maybe two sets is the way to go :bigsmile:

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I went from a GIA certified G color cushion to an appraised J color OEC and wouldn't change a thing. I liked my cushion but the OEC just has so much more "personality." Depending on the environment, my OEC can look bright white, a steely blue, or a soft ivory. Sometimes, it has a hint of yellow but it doesn't really bother me. It's absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD in candlelight. And I'm always amazed by how the "face up" is so much different than when I view the stone from the side. My appraiser said it faces up like an I color and everyone who's not a diamond junkie who has looked at it thinks it in the colorless range. Oh, and I went from 1.52 carats to 2.94 for less :naughty:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring is a D, but I just got an OEC that's L/M, and it's stunning! I love both of them so much... I do think I prefer warmth in certain cuts more than others. I tend to like warmth in fancy shapes and old cuts, however I like my princess sparkly white and clear. I guess I just really love diamonds no matter the color, so long as they sparkle!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1308083465|2945882 said:
My engagement ring is a D, but I just got an OEC that's L/M, and it's stunning! I love both of them so much... I do think I prefer warmth in certain cuts more than others. I tend to like warmth in fancy shapes and old cuts, however I like my princess sparkly white and clear. I guess I just really love diamonds no matter the color, so long as they sparkle!

I agree. For me, some cuts are better in white colors and others are more suited for the lower- warmer colors.

Honest to god, I feel like colorless diamonds look fake. I really like a tint ... my studs are G's and even I think they can look fake if they are not clean. I would like to get a warrrrrrrmmm diamond soon/ eventually.. like q r s t u v q x y z... :)

I think as long as the warmer colors are cut well, the color doesn't bother me.

I just don't get why everyone thinks that color in diamonds is a "BAD" thing. Bad? Why? What's wrong with color? I think I would be more worried about clarity and cut... but that's just me.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
bean|1308107010|2946243 said:
Honest to god, I feel like colorless diamonds look fake. I really like a tint ... my studs are G's and even I think they can look fake if they are not clean. I would like to get a warrrrrrrmmm diamond soon/ eventually.. like q r s t u v q x y z... :)

I just don't get why everyone thinks that color in diamonds is a "BAD" thing. Bad? Why? What's wrong with color? I think I would be more worried about clarity and cut... but that's just me.

You make an excellent point, bean. Many people have never seen an ideal-cut diamond, but they have seen ideal-cut fakes (which tend to be very white in color) so I can see why ideal-cut diamonds in lower colors would look more "real." Though I think fakes are now being cut in lower colors, too...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean|1308107010|2946243 said:

I am with you on this bean :rolleyes:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gone from H to K to G as of last Christmas. I have all three in my possession. Honestly, the colour of the K did bug me, even though it has been described as a high K, as in closer to J. So for Christmas I got a .76 G VS1 in an etoile setting. I love the G and have not worn my much larger 1.77 K VS1 since then. I would not hesitate to go to a J in an old stone, or AVC. But personally, since yellow is my least favourite colour ever, I think it's one of my mind clean issues. The clarity is another, I won't go below VS if possible. I am not planning an upgrade, but I am hoping one day for an OEC, but it would have to be substantially larger than my 1.77 to be worthwhile. My daughter gets my K, so it is now a family stone. ;))

ETA: both the K and the G are excellent cuts and have been appraised by conservative appraisers.

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely make the same purchase again (and again). And I urge people who know they enjoy some warmth not to hesitate just because of what's considered superior by others.

I own two AVOECs, a small G and a larger M (pictured in avatar). The M is my favorite. I use the G sometimes when I need a change, but I always end up missing the M (I don't miss the G though). And of course, the AVOECs look great in every color. G is absolutely the highest color I would ever own. I actually dislike overly icy looks, even in modern round brilliants. I actually use my G with certain outfits because it compliments them better (I know, I'm a nut). However, the low color has to be a golden yellow hue. I had a K RB once long ago that I had to send back due to it being slightly green-grayish to my eyes, even though the cut was incredible.

My preferences: Round brilliants: G-L (sweet spot J/K); antique cuts, G-N (sweet spot M/N)

That being said, I do think it's fun to have a little variety in one's collection, be in cut, color, or wherever. Thankfully I'm not one who's ever craved a really large carat size (avatar diamond seemed huge to me at 1.18 and size 4.5 fingers, and took some getting used to. It's been over a year and still no diamond shrinkage syndrome). But if I had to only own one diamond, I'd pick the M OEC for sure, same carat size. As for clarity, I probably could have gone down to VS, but I had already met my carat weight and color goals within the budget, so the extra clarity was just a bonus that helps with mind cleanliness. And for what it's worth, I don't think anybody does justice to warm colors as well as good old gold and the AV line.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't really consider I and J to be warmer since they are still in the near colorless range. It's when you get to L/M/N that they are considered warmer in my book. I'm getting an I color .67ct RB, and if I get another stone it would most likely be a little warmer. I'm not a big fan of icy white stones. To my eyes, warmth is more comfortable and enhances the overall look of the stone. Years ago, when hubby and I were first getting engaged, we almost bought a 2.5ct antique stone that was a wonderfully warm J color. I/J and K are my favorites.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am actually finding that I love icy white, but don't get me wrong for the right cut I would die for a warmer color.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
My first diamond was a H and I though it was beautiful until I upgraded to a larger J. After I got the J I felt that the H was too icy white and did not have the same personality as my J which is extremely beautiful to my eyes. If I did it again, I would still choose a J.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me, I"m all over the board, but I do find that I like warmer color more interesting though. For modern cuts smaller facet patterns/splintery, I like higher colors preferably I and higher (maybe a J) but for larger facet pattern, oecs, omb, then definitely lower. For Step cuts, it really depends, I've seen some light yellow ones and LOVEd it! I think it might have been GIA graded well below an S color region at my local B&M set in Yellow bar set :love: and I also like a very high color for Steps as well, so step cuts are a gray area for me ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lyra As you probably know I owned a K for a time and also found it too tinted for my taste. Hoenstly, my ideal is a G color, for mind clean and preference. But for budget and carat preference, my J is juuuuust fine 8)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I was in the market for an asscher and was warned to keep my color up as the asscher tends to hold color in the corners. My local jewler also tried talking me into a an F/G but an SI1 ( 2 white feathers in the step that I couldn't see), but I kept going back to an I VSS1, I just loved the super clean look of it and felt that an SI1 would bug me, not mention it was $1000. more money. I went with the I VSS1 and am so completely happy that I did! It faces up very white to me, and I can only see that yellowish tint if I peer through the pavillion. I would totally make the same choice again! I would maybe even drop a color grade or 2 for a larger stone.

The warmth in some stones has always reminded me of sunshine, and I love love love :love: :love: it! I would chose warmth over icy white any day. I also totally agree that when I see a diamond that is completely white especially in a larger size, I immediatly think CZ. :nono: So a thousand times I would again go with a stone with some color with great light performance, no matter what a jewler tried to tell me! ;-)

My fiance on the other hand completely disagrees and it took some convincing for him to drop the cash on this ring. He says he can see the warmth in my diamond, and has a hard time with that. If he had his way it would have been a D E F and a IF. Such a purist! But I get my way and thats why I'm going to marry him! :naughty: j/k

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Of the diamonds I've bought for myself, two are J's and one is an I. I love them all! I got an ideal-cut J RB as my pendant stone, and it looked just right with my skin tone. I liked how it occasionally got that pastel-y look that you see from lower-color OECs so often. When I got my studs, there was no question that I was going to go with something around a J again. I think I'm more inclined to like lower colors in RBs and old cuts. Step cuts need to look a little bit steelier for me to really love them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1308245360|2947586 said:
Lyra As you probably know I owned a K for a time and also found it too tinted for my taste. Hoenstly, my ideal is a G color, for mind clean and preference. But for budget and carat preference, my J is juuuuust fine 8)

Dreamer, I totally agree with you. But I share your philosophy about wedding rings: I've spent as much as I feel comfortable spending given all other factors in my life. I feel that G to me is completely colourless. Although that stone is small, it's an option I have. My K is still gorgeous, but I'm forever questioning myself on the warm tint in certain circumstances. I could stare at it forever in the right conditions. The G is more "old reliable". Some might even say boring. ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina, it's always interesting to hear about FI preferences and ideas on diamonds. My FI got me a D as that was something important to him- a colorless stone! Its too funny to see what the men care about.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is different but to me it depends on the diamond and the cut. I have a J 1.24 carat that I really like, an F colored old mine cut that I really don't like because it is too white, and my favorite a G colored transition cut diamond. If I had to pick I would say G is my favorite color.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These are my EGL J colored studs. I have no clue what GIA would grade them, but they are surprisingly white. I love them!

Here they are in natural light:
photo-2.png

I'm having trouble uploading more photos, but I love the color and would definitely consider it for another purchase.

cecily

Rough_Rock
Actually, I would go lower than what I have. I bought a 2.01 J SI2 gorgeous, non branded hearts and arrows, as I could not bring myself to go lower in color for fear of "yellowishness". How I regret it today.... My J looks very white face up ( I get compliments almost daily)and I wish I had bought a bigger size in K or L color ....

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
I have an H but originally wanted an I/J. I got scared when I went to a jewelry store to get a feel for what I liked and they showed me an EGL I (who knows what it really was...). After that, I only looked at H and up. But I think if I could do it again, I'd take a J and bump my size up to around a 1.5.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results