shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of you w/colored e-rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GG414

Rough_Rock
So, the FF and I are both opposed to diamonds for various reasons, so the e-ring will definitely be a colored stone. But, after about 2 months of lurking on here I still have very little idea of what I want. I think it will have to be a sapphire b/c I am very hard on all of my things.

Anyhow. . . my question is: how did you decide on the color for your e-ring? Since this is something I plan on wearing everyday I am having a hard time committing to a color. Did you know what color you wanted when you started looking, or was it a "I know it when I see it" type thing? Also, I wear red nail polish about 75% of the time (the rest of the time being neutral) and I''m worried some colors may not go with that. Did you consider things like this when picking the color for your e-ring, or am I being ridiculous?

Oh, and if any of you know of stores in LA where I could actually see a variety of stones IRL (good quality stones) I think that might help out a lot.
Thanks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 12:45:09 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Really, its just preference for color. I have blue sapphires in my ering.. but you know, I may have considered pink if I''d have found a vivid color. At the time, I didn''t even think of it.
7.gif
Do what feels right.. get a variety of colored stones in and choose from that point. Have fun with it :)
SDL, your ring is perfect as is...timeless and classy, just like you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked blue. It's my color though. And the stone (spinel) actually changes from blue to purple a lot, which just makes it cooler (IMHO).

Your options are pretty much endless. If you wear red so much, I would consider red, white and blue. I would probably go with white if I were you. I would NOT do green (for fear of Christmas hands), but pink or yellow might be an option as well.

So do you wear the same red all of the time? And what kind of red is it? Blue or orange undertones?

And SDL's blue sapphires are just amazing! Remember that Princess Di had a blue ering too!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 12:14:30 AM
Author:GG414
So, the FF and I are both opposed to diamonds for various reasons, so the e-ring will definitely be a colored stone. But, after about 2 months of lurking on here I still have very little idea of what I want. I think it will have to be a sapphire b/c I am very hard on all of my things.

Anyhow. . . my question is: how did you decide on the color for your e-ring? Since this is something I plan on wearing everyday I am having a hard time committing to a color. Did you know what color you wanted when you started looking, or was it a ''I know it when I see it'' type thing? Also, I wear red nail polish about 75% of the time (the rest of the time being neutral) and I''m worried some colors may not go with that. Did you consider things like this when picking the color for your e-ring, or am I being ridiculous?

Oh, and if any of you know of stores in LA where I could actually see a variety of stones IRL (good quality stones) I think that might help out a lot.

Thanks!

I don''t have a colored stone e-ring (or an e-ring for that matter, lol) but if I were choosing, it would have to be the color I love the most. The one that I just won''t get tired of. Then again, I wear neutral/pale pink nail polish mostly, so the clashing thing never occurred to me. But in the end, nail polish colors and clothes change, but your ring doesn''t so it should be a color you love
1.gif

What colors are you thinking?

And SDL, I love your ring!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Step 1 From the following list, choose colors that you like:

- yellow
- golden
- orange
- pink
- lilac
- purple
- violet
- blue
- green (minty).

Step 2 From those you chose, select those that suit you best (based on skin, hair, eye color etc.).

Step 3 From those you ended up with, select the one which makes the best combo with your wardrobe colors.

And the winner is...?
9.gif

Hope this helps.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:34:24 AM
Author: ma re
Step 1 From the following list, choose colors that you like:

- yellow
- golden
- orange
- pink
- lilac
- purple
- violet
- blue
- green (minty).

Step 2 From those you chose, select those that suit you best (based on skin, hair, eye color etc.).

Step 3 From those you ended up with, select the one which makes the best combo with your wardrobe colors.
I would add a step between #2 and #3: eliminate stones that are too soft for daily wear. Then pick what you LOVE.

It''s a long-time thing though, so remember that colour trends come and go. So pick a colour that you see as ''timeless''.

Have fun!

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you''re being ridiculous at all in considering your nail color, LOL. Makes perfect sense to me!

So - what''s your favorite color? What can you see yourself gazing at on your hand?

My sister has a fairly dark blue sapphire, and it coordinates well with most things. Ditto Freke on the no green - Christmas hands. Oy. LOL.

Depending on the red you could also do yellow or purple, or even some shades of pink easily (or red
5.gif
)! What colors do you find yourself gravitating towards?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 8:58:18 AM
Author: LostSapphire

I would add a step between #2 and #3: eliminate stones that are too soft for daily wear. Then pick what you LOVE.

It''s a long-time thing though, so remember that colour trends come and go. So pick a colour that you see as ''timeless''.

Have fun!

LS
I got a feeling she already has her mind set on sapphires, just can''t decide on a color.

I agree with everything else you wrote
2.gif

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I have a blue sapphire e-ring. If I have a favorite color, blue is definitely it.

FI initally wanted me to consider emerald as a center stone. Because of softness issues I would have never considered emerald, but did briefly consider tsavorite. However, once FI saw a cornflower blue sapphire on my hand, the choice was clear. With my rosy tan skin tone and dark hair and eyes, the blue just popped!

GG414

Rough_Rock
wow, thanks for your responses.

So far I''ve been leaning towards blues and yellows. I like the pinks and pads too, but they just seem too girly for me. I already look very young, so I try to avoid anything that makes me appear childlike. I have a tan complexion, so I like warm colors, so I guess that makes me lean slightly more to yellows than blues. But, my problem is that so many of the vivid yellow sapphires have orange tones, which I really don''t like.

Here''s a link to a ring that I originally liked and clued me into the fact that yellow sapphires even exist. http://www.sohogem.com/pm-414-10-30-90-407.aspx?pagenum=1&SortType=0
I think the split-shank would swallow my hand, but it gives you an idea of the yellow color I prefer.

Also, I apologize for my delayed responses. My job doesn''t really allow me to post on here very much.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, must be feeling very dense today - what''s this "Christmas Hands" thing? Never heard that before.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 5:20:03 PM
Author: Gailey
OK, must be feeling very dense today - what''s this ''Christmas Hands'' thing? Never heard that before.
Red nails and a bright green ring? Not necessarily Christmas, but a little too close for my own well being.

GG I think that yellow is gorgeous and would look great with red nails. Have you started looking for stones yet?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 5:53:56 PM
Author: FrekeChild

OK, must be feeling very dense today - what''s this ''Christmas Hands'' thing? Never heard that before.
Red nails and a bright green ring? Not necessarily Christmas, but a little too close for my own well being.

GG I think that yellow is gorgeous and would look great with red nails. Have you started looking for stones yet?
Duh!
emembarrassed.gif

Thanks Freke!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. No problem. Of course I'd rock a green stone with red nails anyway, just so long as I loved them both...

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
I have found that since I started wearing my sapphire I usually do a french manicure, or pale colors. At christmas I did the red, but it seemed to fight with my ring a bit!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
So you''re after a lemonade yellow sapphire. Well, they''re much harder to find than those with warm secondary hues, cause the golden ones are often the results of treatments (heating or diffusion). THIS one is the only I found that somewhat matches the color you''d like, but those carved cuts are not everyone''s cup of tea. The color in question might also be found (but also rarely) in yellow chrysoberyls, but your best bet to find one like that, is probably to ask some cutter to source you the right rough and cut to order. Yellow diamonds are probably the easiest to find in those shades (choosing from stones which are durable enough to be worn in rings a lot), but wether to go that route depends on your budget.

GG414

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 5:53:56 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Thanks! No, I haven''t started looking for stones yet. I was waiting to feel definite about a color before I do that. Also, the $$ situation right is such that I can get something nice now, but in a few months I''ll be able to get something really nice. So I think I''m going to wait a bit that way I don''t fall in love with something that is out of the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results