shape
carat
color
clarity

For fun and for carnivores: how do you like your steak?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the mood for a silly topic, and I love steak, so there ya go!

I prefer mine bloody rare.

Now imagine you're a waiter/waitress and you see this tiny 5'1" Asian girl ordering her steak rare - the reaction is pretty hilarious. :razz:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Rare please! I cringe when people order it well done....it tastes like cardboard to me. I dont get it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MR.. :lickout:

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Medium for me, I don't like bloody just pink ;))

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Medium rare

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mid rare for me :)) But i have waited tables on and off for years, and i'm not ever bothered by people who order it mid well or even well done. the kitchen on the other hand, usually cringes ;))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Done. No pink. I can handle it if there is a hint of barely pink but..if there is blood coming out or it's really pink..no. I'll maybe eat around the edges where it's cooked and leave the rest.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1304730498|2914450 said:
I'm in the mood for a silly topic, and I love steak, so there ya go!

I prefer mine bloody rare.

Now imagine you're a waiter/waitress and you see this tiny 5'1" Asian girl ordering her steak rare - the reaction is pretty hilarious. :razz:

Really? Why is it hilarious? I usually think the amusing reaction from waitstaff is when anyone orders a filet mignon well done.

I also eat mine rare (beef), although I prefer lamb medium rare. Ribeye also tends to taste better medium rare to me, to let the fat cook a bit and get juicy!

My friend eats hers (at a nice steak restaurant) black and blue.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
out of curiosity, I wonder if it's regional. I notice a lot of people around where I live (los angeles) like rare and medium rare. But when I head to my corporate offices in the midwest, most of them want theirs well done....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like my steak medium, please.

I will admit that I had to start out ordering well done, but that was because I never ate meat until I was 19 yrs old and the thought of pink flesh really freaked me out. I slowly eased into ordering my steak medium well, and now I'm at medium. I figure I'll be ordering rare by the time I'm retired. :cheeky:

As a Chicagoan I have my pick of amazing steakhouses but my favorite is still a chain! Morton's Cajun ribeye is the best piece of meat I have *ever* had.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Haven, the same for me - I grew up eating steaks well-done, eggs over hard, no sushi, etc., because that's how my mom eats hers. Late high school and college is when I started experimenting with food, and over the years, I realized I prefer undercooked stuff. I adore sashimi and sushi, love over easy eggs, and rare steaks, so go figure. My mom hates any pink in her steaks so she tends to look away from my plate when we're eating it :D

TGal - I don't know. I get a reaction every time - I think no one ever expects little tiny me to get a bloody steak. Go figure right? I mean, it's not THAT unusual, but I guess it just seems incongruous to people : shrug :

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've eaten at I think almost all (if not all) of the major steak house chains. My favorite type of steak (going for flavor) is Santa Maria style (rubbed steak). The Hitching Post II (featured in the movie Sideways) is an example of this, and it's pretty good. But for value, my fave place is this podunk place called Jocko's in Nipomo....a small town in central california. Mmmm.

Ribeye is my favorite cut, but it's so indulgent, I don't go for it often. Usually I go boring and have a very petite filet.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1304735488|2914512 said:
Haven, the same for me - I grew up eating steaks well-done, eggs over hard, no sushi, etc., because that's how my mom eats hers. Late high school and college is when I started experimenting with food, and over the years, I realized I prefer undercooked stuff. I adore sashimi and sushi, love over easy eggs, and rare steaks, so go figure. My mom hates any pink in her steaks so she tends to look away from my plate when we're eating it :D

TGal - I don't know. I get a reaction every time - I think no one ever expects little tiny me to get a bloody steak. Go figure right? I mean, it's not THAT unusual, but I guess it just seems incongruous to people : shrug :

Where do you live? I can't imagine anyone batting an eyelash here....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now you're making me hungry, B.E.G.! I love eggs over easy, and my favorite is eating a soft boiled egg in a pretty little egg cup. :cheeky:

TGal--I love ribeye so much that I just can't eat any *other* type of steak. I probably only eat one, maybe two ribeyes a year but man oh man do I enjoy them! If I'm not ordering a ribeye, I'm ordering a lobster, thankyouverymuch. Lobster is my very favorite, but Morton's Cajun ribeye comes an extremely close second.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1304735594|2914514 said:

Currently? Montana. Land of cattle and big macho cowboys and conservatives. Snort. That's where I get most of the reactions too.

Of course, I imagine I would get more of a reaction outside of MT if I went to say, Luger's in Brooklyn and ordered a steak well-done.

Haven - I had steak for dinner, which prompted the thread :razz: Of course, I really want a bellini right now, after reading the "Do you drink" thread! Let's hope no one posts a chocolate cake thread or something..... :lickout:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1304735783|2914517 said:
Now you're making me hungry, B.E.G.! I love eggs over easy, and my favorite is eating a soft boiled egg in a pretty little egg cup. :cheeky:

TGal--I love ribeye so much that I just can't eat any *other* type of steak. I probably only eat one, maybe two ribeyes a year but man oh man do I enjoy them! If I'm not ordering a ribeye, I'm ordering a lobster, thankyouverymuch. Lobster is my very favorite, but Morton's Cajun ribeye comes an extremely close second.

Haven, if I am going to have a ribeye, it's going to be at a SERIOUS steakhouse (because it's not worth the indulgence if it's not awesome) OR off my own grill. We do good ribeye. We go sometimes to Outback Steakhouse, which IMHO isn't even a good steak place, but it's cheap for steak and their their sirloin done healthy style is like, 300 cals so I can get out of there for under 500 cal for dinner. I would never order their ribeye because it would be so disappointing because I LUUUUURVE ribeye!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ribeye is my fav too - hands down! but i agree, it's not an every day meat - special occasions only - but it sure is tasty! :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1304736034|2914518 said:
TravelingGal|1304735594|2914514 said:

Currently? Montana. Land of cattle and big macho cowboys and conservatives. Snort. That's where I get most of the reactions too.

Of course, I imagine I would get more of a reaction outside of MT if I went to say, Luger's in Brooklyn and ordered a steak well-done.

Haven - I had steak for dinner, which prompted the thread :razz: Of course, I really want a bellini right now, after reading the "Do you drink" thread! Let's hope no one posts a chocolate cake thread or something..... :lickout:

Yeah, that kind of explains it. Like I said...for some odd reason, I find that as you get to the center of the country, rare meat eaters tend to be harder to find. Which is weird to me, because you figure the close you get to cow country, they should KNOW how it should be eaten!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Haven, I started out eating steak as a highschooler and ate it the way it was cooked in my house- medium-well to well.... but as I have gone out on my own, I have slowly been easing away from the well side. Right now I am a fan of MEDIUM...

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Medium rare to almost mooing! Nothing well done for me or I won't eat it. A lovely bacon wrapped filet drowning in garlic lemon butter...YUM!

Lori

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I wait silently in the tall grass eyeing up the herd. When I spot the perfect cow I wait patiently for it to come within striking distance. When the time comes, I pounce like a wild cat! I usually get a good chunk of chuck... who needs to cook it when you've stalked it 8-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rare. Normally.

Right now? Medium.

Favorite cut? Prime rib. Which, when ordered rare, raises eyebrows...in New Mexico.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1304738771|2914557 said:
I wait silently in the tall grass eyeing up the herd. When I spot the perfect cow I wait patiently for it to come within striking distance. When the time comes, I pounce like a wild cat! I usually get a good chunk of chuck... who needs to cook it when you've stalked it 8-)

I think PS needs a "Like" button like FB does - so much easier! :razz:

Way to get in touch with your inner caveman, Davi! :lol:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
And I love filet mignons. However, not exactly cheap - probably good for my health though - if money and health concerns (i.e. fears of dying an early death due to clogged arteries) didn't interfere, I'd happily eat steak/red meat everyday!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
violet3|1304736136|2914521 said:
Ribeye is my fav too - hands down! but i agree, it's not an every day meat - special occasions only - but it sure is tasty! :love:
Morton's Ribeye steak are... :lickout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1304736036|2914519 said:
Haven|1304735783|2914517 said:

Haven, if I am going to have a ribeye, it's going to be at a SERIOUS steakhouse (because it's not worth the indulgence if it's not awesome) OR off my own grill. We do good ribeye. We go sometimes to Outback Steakhouse, which IMHO isn't even a good steak place, but it's cheap for steak and their their sirloin done healthy style is like, 300 cals so I can get out of there for under 500 cal for dinner. I would never order their ribeye because it would be so disappointing because I LUUUUURVE ribeye!
i usually order their roasted prime rib.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been vegetarian for almost 6 years (for reasons I will not disclose unless asked). When I ate meat, I used to VERY MUCH enjoy an 8 oz petit filet, cooked MEDIUM. Not medium well, not medium rare, just medium. With sauteed mushrooms on top and that is all.

There was NOTHING tastier than my favorite steak cooked as I liked it. NOTHING.

So, as a vegetarian, I understand completely., and support completely, any carnivores who enjoy eating flesh. I'm no longer there, but I understand it, and good for you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in as another petite Asian girl who likes her steaks bloody rare too (almost "bleu"). I never get any funny stares though! :)) :wink2:

I've noticed in Australia and most steak houses I've been to in Singapore, people tend to overcook their steaks. So when I order them rare, they'll come out either medium or med-rare unless I emphasize beforehand; and even then, they still sometimes overcook. in Lawry's and Morton's though, usually they get it right. DH makes a mean steak so we prefer to have ours at home.

I used to like filet mignon but now prefer ribeye. I also have a fondness for wagyu beef.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
davi_el_mejor|1304738771|2914557 said:

Hahahahaha! They need to make a documentary about you. Love it!

TGal, can you tell me how you cook your rib eye steaks? I have never managed to make it taste as good as fillet or sirloin. If I was going to cook rib, I'd get a big chunk, with maybe three or four rib bones and have it as a roast rather than cut it into steaks - I haven't had much luck grilling it. Hints and tips would be great, thanks!

My favourite steak dish is a whole fillet, seared on the outside, rubbed with fresh pesto, wrapped in parma ham and finished in the oven. That's my dad's signature dish and it's awesome. It's nice for feeding a crowd, because the thin end of the fillet will obviously cook faster while the thickest part stays rare, so everyone can have a piece done to their liking. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

My preference is medium rare to rare. The only thing I don't care for is a noticeably colder chunk in the centre of a thick rare steak.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Medium rare.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results