shape
carat
color
clarity

For fun and for carnivores: how do you like your steak?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Another rare lover over here. Living in Sweden that can be an issue, most of the time they just don't get it, and you end up with something medium to medium done :angryfire: . I usually really emphasis that I want it bloody (direct translation for when you want it rare, Swedes have well done, medium and bloody, but most think bloody means a bit pink).

I want my meat when it has just started changing consistency. Real blue I don't really like, I think it gives less taste and the somewhat slimy consistency kind of freaks me out, also I have encountered those times when it is not even warm in the middle.

I am Latina, weaned on pieces of meat that you just browned a bit and then give to the baby to suck on, so I want my meat RARE, but I get those funny reactions since I am very pale and blue eyes so I don't look Latina (most people just think I died my hair and got a boob job :rolleyes: ).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't eat steak often but when I do, I like it well done.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I like mine medium rare.

My dad used to order his "a good vet could still save it" Confused many a waiter and waitress.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Super well done and I am from the midwest, mmmm......

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1304738980|2914560 said:
Rare. Normally.

Right now? Medium.

Favorite cut? Prime rib. Which, when ordered rare, raises eyebrows...in New Mexico.

Rare for me too.

Does this mean you are preggo Freke? :naughty:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt|1304769974|2914692 said:
I like mine medium rare.

My dad used to order his "a good vet could still save it" Confused many a waiter and waitress.

Ha that is hilarious!

I order mine medium rare. I grew up eating pink steak and roast beef because that's how my mom made them, so I can't stand either if it's brown in the middle.

I like my hamburgers medium rare too, but once I ordered it that way at a restaurant and it came and was COLD in the middle. :knockout:

ETA oh and if it was good for me I could also eat steak every day-YUM! My husband makes a great steak...he puts salt on the outside and it gives it a super delicious kind of crispy exterior and then a tasty pink interior...NOM NOM NOM.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
medium i just like it pink :lickout: which is hard to get sometimes because i only will eat filet, i dont like any other cuts.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1304730498|2914450 said:
I'm in the mood for a silly topic, and I love steak, so there ya go!

I prefer mine bloody rare.

Now imagine you're a waiter/waitress and you see this tiny 5'1" Asian girl ordering her steak rare - the reaction is pretty hilarious. :razz:

I never order steak when we're out b/c I can cook it at home. lol I sear the outside and then slow cook it so it's medium rare on the inside.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Somewhere between medium rare and medium. Medium rare plus, if you will. I like a nice char and a fair amount of pink.

I really want to like rare steak. I think it would make me cooler. But I just don't. It's too squishy. Squishy is gross to me.

My friend always says "just slap the cow on the a$$ and send it out!"

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
For filet mignon I like it medium-well and for kobe beef I like it rare

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Medium rare. I won't send it back if it comes back rare though. Medium well to well ruins it for me!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I rarely eat red meat, but I gave to say the best prime rib I ever had was in Hawaii!!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1304774054|2914716 said:
I like mine medium rare.

Ha that is hilarious!

I order mine medium rare. I grew up eating pink steak and roast beef because that's how my mom made them, so I can't stand either if it's brown in the middle.

I like my hamburgers medium rare too, but once I ordered it that way at a restaurant and it came and was COLD in the middle. :knockout:

ETA oh and if it was good for me I could also eat steak every day-YUM! My husband makes a great steak...he puts salt on the outside and it gives it a super delicious kind of crispy exterior and then a tasty pink interior...NOM NOM NOM.

Oooooooohhhhh. Rare roast beef. One of the most delicious things in the world. OMG. I'm hungry. :lickout:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1304771769|2914700 said:
FrekeChild|1304738980|2914560 said:
Rare. Normally.

Right now? Medium.

Favorite cut? Prime rib. Which, when ordered rare, raises eyebrows...in New Mexico.

Rare for me too.

Does this mean you are preggo Freke? :naughty:
Perhaps...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Rare rare rare. Can't stand it well done or barely pink -- might as well tuck into a big chunk of shoe leather. My dad used to grill a steak almost every Sunday when I was a kid. I have a photo of him by the grill on a snowy Northeastern winter night, wrapped in a gigantic raccoon coat of his father's, drink in hand, brandishing his barbecue fork like a Samurai. A happy man!

Dad bought steaks aged by a local market; they had to be at least 2" thick. I'm hungry!

Natascha, it was the same in Holland -- except for France, I think most European countries automatically cook steak well done. You're right, you have to say "bloody" to get it kind of rare. My Dutch m-i-l could turn a good steak into mystery meat quickly. Very talented chick, she was.

--- Laurie

emeralddreams

Rough_Rock
I have to have it rare. I'll suffer through medium rare if I have to. Ribeye is definitely my favorite, and fortunately, there is a butcher shop that sells them for $2 a piece for 8 oz steaks. So, sometimes it's an everyday food for us. Thankfully, it is great quality, fresh, and nearby. I can't stand the thought of going to the grocery store and paying $10-$15 a pound. For that price I'll just go to a restaurant and have someone else cook (or not cook) it for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Yay! When are you due???

We had steak tonight, too! Medium rare. I thought my Dad was the only person in the world who ate steak well done! My favorites are filet and ribeye. We normally eat them at home, but my favorite steak eaten out was at Ruths Chris!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I like my steaks rare to medium rare. Filet and prime rib are my favs. I also love sushi (sashimi & nigiri) and soft boiled eggs so I guess I like undercooked things as well. DH and I just had beef tartare last night. There's a restaurant in Chicago that serves it. At the bottom of the menu it says something like "The FDA says eating raw beef just might kill you." LOL They served it with a raw egg yolk on top to mix in - old school!! We ate at the bar and the guy next to me asked if that was raw yolk. I said yes as I scooped some beef up and onto my toast point and took a bite. He looked at me like I was crazy!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1304798684|2915004 said:
I like mine medium rare.

Ha that is hilarious!

Oooooooohhhhh. Rare roast beef. One of the most delicious things in the world. OMG. I'm hungry. :lickout:

I KNOW. I need to try to make it myself but it's so good when my mom makes it I just know mine won't be as good! This past Christmas I came home and my mom had made a big delicious (PINK!) roast beef and I could not stop eating it! I actually had it for breakfast one day. :lickout: :bigsmile:

Oh and tomorrow night we're having steak-I blame this thread!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a red cool center. Sometimes that's called rare, sometimes that's called medium-rare depending on where you are.

We just had dinner at Alexander's and we had amazing steaks. Yum. Love a good steak. Hubby likes his meat tanned. Not cooked.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Davi~ LOL!!!!

I like my steak medium but more towards medium rare. I want very pink meat but very little blood. Although, I'd much rather eat a bloody steak than a brown one.

MMMM. steak. Just picked up some steaks today to make for MIL tomorrow. Yay Meat!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1304818764|2915211 said:
I like mine medium rare.

Ha that is hilarious!

I KNOW. I need to try to make it myself but it's so good when my mom makes it I just know mine won't be as good! This past Christmas I came home and my mom had made a big delicious (PINK!) roast beef and I could not stop eating it! I actually had it for breakfast one day. :lickout: :bigsmile:

I would totally eat that for breakfast! Cold pink roast beef. Oh my. I think I need to go food shopping today...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, don't shoot me. I like my steak well done. No pink. I even tell the waiter to burn it. I LOVE filet mignon butterflied cut and well done. I think it tastes yummy, full of flavor. That's just what I grew up on. My mother would over cook everything, to the point of being dry. So if I ever get meat that's juicy, I find it gross and can't eat it.

Funny story. My hubby got some very nice, expensive filets once. He cooked it and served it to me. It was still a little pink. I told him to cook it more. he said the it's done, it's just pink because it's such a great piece of meat. I said no, cook it more. So he cooks if for 45 minutes more. It was still pink and now the size of a half dollar. I couldn't eat it. What a waste. He said from now on, he will only cook me sirloins or some other 'cheap' piece of meat.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304812593|2915139 said:
Freke!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Yay! When are you due???

We had steak tonight, too! Medium rare. I thought my Dad was the only person in the world who ate steak well done! My favorites are filet and ribeye. We normally eat them at home, but my favorite steak eaten out was at Ruths Chris!

They do have awesome steak...try Morton's...equally good.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Medium rare. Any more well done than that is just not worth it to me.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304820667|2915233 said:
I like a red cool center. Sometimes that's called rare, sometimes that's called medium-rare depending on where you are.

We just had dinner at Alexander's and we had amazing steaks. Yum. Love a good steak. Hubby likes his meat tanned. Not cooked.

I've heard AMAZING things about Alexander's - I want to try it out when I get to the Bay Area!

I didn't get into rare steaks until I went to Luger's in Brooklyn a couple years ago. Their medium rare was pretty bloody - the rare was practically mooing, and I realized I loved rare, rare steaks. Yum.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1304818764|2915211 said:
I like mine medium rare.

Ha that is hilarious!

:D

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a fantastically rare (to med rare) ribeye tonight. Horrible for my diet, but what the hell - it's mother's day!!!

(and it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.......................)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1304750197|2914634 said:
I've noticed in Australia and most steak houses I've been to in Singapore, people tend to overcook their steaks. So when I order them rare, they'll come out either medium or med-rare

I also have a fondness for wagyu beef.

Interesting observation Phoenix and I agree! Drives me nuts when a steak comes out more cooked than I asked for. I was beginning to think I was really unlucky with the overcooked steaks :lol:

We tend to do what you do, order it rare and hope it's at most a medium rare, I usually stare down the waiter and explain that we prefer it to be undercooked than overcooked.

I love wagyu beef too, although I'm too scared to try and cook it myself in fear of ruining it so we only order it at top end places in the hope that they will cook it perfectly, which usually costs big $$

My favorite thing to order for entree at the moment is beef carpaccio so that gives you all an idea of just how 'rare' I like it. :lickout:

stci

Ideal_Rock
I eat my steak medium. Miam....miam... it's good with onions potatoes on the grill! Add a crunchy ceasar salad and everything is wow!

And... I love love 7 peppercorn sauce. Do you eat your steak with sauce or do you prefer it without?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results