shape
carat
color
clarity

Foods: which do you feel you could eat every day, and which would be an occasional splurge or craving?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I feel like such a glutton sometimes. Just downed a personal pizza and am still thinking about foods.

I was originally thinking about different cuisines and realized I haven't had Peruvian, Persian, or Burmese in a while. Those cuisines, along with Japanese, Mexican, Jamaican, Thai, and Italian, I would consider occasional splurges that I don't think I'd fancy every day. Italian and Japanese I find really good but I need some spiciness in my life.

On the other hand, I think Mediterranean (I'd mix dry chili flakes or roasted peppers in falafel and shwarma), Chinese* (35 regional cuisines, so much variety that this is kind of like cheating), and Korean are the cuisines I could imagine myself eating every day if I had to.

What foods do you love? Enough to eat every day, or crave on occasion? Do you eat out for those foods, or cook them yourself? I'm always curious what else is out there I haven't tried, so please share your good food cravings (junk foods would be off-topic).

*authentic Chinese food only for me; Americanized Chinese food always disappoints because I know what it could have been

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could happily eat steak every day or twice a day
and tomatos
Steak and tomatoes
When my finances improve im going to be splurging on both
and chocolate

I could also eat strawberries every day

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like varieties in food, and when I go on holiday, I would actively seek out and try the local cuisines, especially for seafood as I seldom cook fish or seafood at home.

I keep a variety of homemade dishes in the freezer, dishes I can batch-cook such as stews, curries, pulled meat, soups, fried rice and risotto etc.. This way I don't have to eat the same thing for days. And it is cheaper.

When I go out to eat, I would like to eat dishes that are quite laborious or difficult to make. Dim Sums, Peking Duck, roast suckling pig, etc. spring to mind. The downside of living away from London or other big cities in a medium size town is the limited variety of food choices. Hence I seldom go out locally and prefer to cook at home.

I love a gourmet meal from time to time, as I like to try out new combination of flavours and to marvel at the creativity behind each dish. This would be my splurge from time to time, about once or twice a year.

Looking forward to visit my folks in Vancouver later this year, as it would involve eating out with friends and family as much as possible, especially dim sums for breakfast, and dishes fit for a Chinese banquet, can't wait!

DK :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is it about PS'ers and our obsession with food, lately?! :lol:

Food that I am currently eating is food I could eat daily, ie. meat/fish/seafood and vegetables cooked healthily, ie. in olive oil, stir-fried or steamed, with lots of garlic, some spices, onions, chilli pepepers. Also rice and fruit (esp fruit that's plentiful in Vit-C), and bone broths. And not forgetting water (cannot survive without that).

Dishes that I love but don't/ can't eat too often, either because I can't be fussed to cook them or they're too difficult/ elaborate to make: home made pasta (freshly made the day of) with home made sauces, authentic Vietnamese foods (like banh beo, banh nam, banh boc loc, banh xeo, banh chung, fresh or fried spring rolls, bun rieu, bun bo Hue, pho, banh mi etc etc), lobster, T-bone steaks, Osso Buco, roast beef & Yorkshire pudding, roast lamb, stuffed quails, Italian beef sandwich, BBQ'ed baby back ribs, Mexican foods (OMG, I love Mexican food) etc etc...

Some pics of the dishes I've been craving:

1582170022361.png
1582170055851.png

1582170094982.png

1582170156839.png

1582170215050.png

1582170243630.png
1582170324118.png

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@Phoenix I'll tell you what...you make YUM authentic Vietnamese dishes for me (I know you can as I posted on your old PHO thread... :) :bigsmile: : and from scratch I'll make the prime rib and Yorkshire, ribs, kale salad, gnocchi, and polenta soufflé for you. Come any time.... but you'll have to invite @Tekate for the texmex!

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce you left out Indian, I love Indian food as well!!! We used to have a Nepalese restaurant we would go to occasionally....

I'm not sure what they do in the US but in Australia they ruin Chinese food often by adding to much sweetness/excess sugar to a lot of dishes. I don't like sweet Chinese food at all, and I'm half Chinese, good Asian food is about a balance of flavours.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce you left out Indian, I love Indian food as well!!! We used to have a Nepalese restaurant we would go to occasionally....

I'm not sure what they do in the US but in Australia they ruin Chinese food often by adding to much sweetness/excess sugar to a lot of dishes. I don't like sweet Chinese food at all, and I'm half Chinese, good Asian food is about a balance of flavours.

Ah you're right, I did leave out Indian. I do really enjoy Desi food when I get it, but unfortunately I haven't had it in ages. Used to eat it often during my uni days, but with a father who's allergic to butter/ghee and a fiancé who's just not a fan of Indian, I never eat it anymore.

I think a lot of good Chinese foods involve complex, sophisticated flavor profiles. That's why American (and Canadian) excess sweetness or saltiness, which always creates unbalanced flavor profiles, turns me off. The last time I was with my in-laws, I had to hide my astonishment and horror that they wanted to put more soy sauce on everything, including the chow mein.

I'm also disappointed when my coworkers can't taste the flavors in my home cooked food besides the spiciness of the chili peppers. One coworker says my food tastes just like Mexican dishes her mom makes, which she has shared with me. I couldn't disagree more, since Mexican dishes do not have ginger and mouth numbing Sichuan peppercorns, nor any fermented beans not sesame. I love savory and spicy at the same time, but maybe it's only possible for people to taste both simultaneously like I can if they have learned to take a certain level of capsaicin without feeling pain.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I both come from multicultural backgrounds, and we live in So Cal, the quintessential melting pot, so we have pretty much eat a different cuisine everyday. Today we had stir fry udon for dinner, last night was Mexican, and the night before was good ‘ol American meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and before that gyros.

We change up the type of cuisine daily, but one thing we can all eat every day is pasta or noodles. Whether it be Italian pastas such as Spaghetti Bolognese, Alfredo, Pesto etc, or Asian (pho, ramen, braised beef noodle soup, pad see yew, udon) we love it all! I also love all “filled” pasta dough such as pan fried potstickers, xiao long bao, wontons, perogies, ravioli.

Our weekly rotation is usually: Italian, Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Mediterranean, Chinese. Occasional Indian or Middle Eastern thrown in.

Hard to pick a splurge.....I guess for me it would be dessert. I rarely touch sweet stuff, but occasionally I will have a slice of pie or ice cream.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

All of these cooked from scratch?? Sorry I lost the gist of this thread.

Is this take out everyday...because that is easy. Ya, skip the dishes.

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
HI:

All of these cooked from scratch?? Sorry I lost the gist of this thread.

Is this take out everyday...because that is easy. Ya, skip the dishes.

cheers--Sharon

I don’t know if you were referring to my thread, but I cook about 70% from scratch or semi-scratch. We eat out a 2-nights a week.

What I mean by semi-scratch: sometimes I buy pre marinaded Korean BBQ meat, and grill at home or marinaded kabob meat and skewer it and cook it at home. Most of my pasta sauces are from a jar, except Alfredo or Carbonara which I make from scratch.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Sharon just looking at those dishes that @Phoenix craves made me crave them too! I really love Vietnamese food and Thai food, chinese not as much. and TEX MEX! jeez it's at least 20lbs of my overweight :)

and POUTINE! I love a great poutine..

xo

HI:

@Phoenix I'll tell you what...you make YUM authentic Vietnamese dishes for me (I know you can as I posted on your old PHO thread... :) :bigsmile: : and from scratch I'll make the prime rib and Yorkshire, ribs, kale salad, gnocchi, and polenta soufflé for you. Come any time.... but you'll have to invite @Tekate for the texmex!

cheers--Sharon

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in such a rut. My diet consists of mostly vegetables and either chicken or fish. Almost every day it's either cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes with chicken or turkey. Hubby gets cooked a different meal and yesterday I made him red beans and rice with roasted pork.

Going low carb for the last year has basically killed my interest in food. That sounds so strange but it's true. One of life's pleasures is food but it is as if a switch was pulled in my brain and food no longer holds the pleasure that it once did. I still dream of splurging on peanut butter or peanut M&Ms but that is about it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate should be a food group of it's own :lol::lol::lol::lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What foods do you love? Enough to eat every day, or crave on occasion? Do you eat out for those foods, or cook them yourself?

I am boring and a creature of habit and could eat the same foods day in and out and in fact I do haha.

What I can and do eat on a (usually) daily basis. Unless we go out to eat.
My DH cooks the veggies and fish for me and occasionally makes my soup from scratch yummm.

Ice cream (Dairy and Gluten free)
Popcorn (air popped with sea salt)
Salad (organic salad mix)
Fruit (banana, apple during winter and more variety during the summer)
Veggies (grilled brussel sprouts/sweet potatoes/onions)
Coffee (black and strong and yummm)
Soup (butternut squash right now)
Dairy free/Gluten free chocolate
Fish (wild salmon, sardines etc)
AIP granola (nut and grain free)
Water

A few years ago my diet was vegan but now I am a Pescatarian.
No problem for me eating the same things. I like it.

My favorite to eat out food are French, Greek and Italian. But I love most food and happily try anything (as long as it is something I can tolerate as I have a lot of food intolerances).

The occasional splurge is when my dh bakes. Apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake and cheesecake. And raspberry almond bars. And his famous christmas cookies. Some of the girls here have enjoyed them in the past. This last year he didn't bake them due to a crazy year but perhaps he will resume for next year. We shall see. He makes a gluten free version that is out of this world. And I am super picky.

How my dh won my heart was baking for me when we first started dating. Oh how sweet it was/is.

Enjoying another food thread because well, who doesn't love food. Yummmmm. :lickout:

christmascookies2018.jpg.png

Can you tell I have a sweet tooth. :shhh: :sun:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

DEAL!!:)):)):clap:

(Never had polenta souffle before. Sounds yuuum!!:lickout: and I do love a cheese souffle too. And gnocchi, OMG!! They're ALL sound delish!!:lickout:).

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread!!!
I'm living in France and they have wonderful food.

So french it is most days.

Since the French love cheese that's a big part of the diet here and we have some fancy cheese every day.

I could also eat Lebanese or Italian every day.

Occasional foods: Vietnamese, Mexican, Greek, Turkish, Indian

The downside is that the French think they have the *best* food, so I'm having a hard time finding authentic foreign restaurants sometimes (not in Paris city centre, but once you leave that radius it's hard...)
The food I miss most is authentic Mexican!
A *good* Italian place is hard to find or crazy expensive or always always booked out.
A great Korean place is hard to find too.
Haven't found a good Greek restaurant here yet. Miss that.

Decent Vietnamese is quite current, as is Lebanese and Turkish.
Indian is hit or miss...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really fancy some proper Peking Duck and roast suckling pig right now! Crispy skins, yum!!! Can't wait to be in Vancouver later this year, the prospect of eating good food makes the trip (it's duty call, not a holiday) more bearable! :bigsmile:

Going out to have an Indian meal with a friend this evening, further afield rather than the local Indian restaurant I frequent. The food, seating and ambient are better, and I have been there more times since it opened last June than I had been to the local one in the past 3 to 4 years!

I recently did a pop up kitchen event with an Indian-themed menu based on recipes from a cookbook that came highly recommended in a FB group that I belong at my local pub, and cooked everything from scratch, from toasting and grinding the spices, even toasted the poppadoms myself. Lots of work and took me hours. However, it was a great culinary challenge for me and the food looked and tasted great (ok, I am bias). I have started to plan another pop up event using other recipes from the same cookbook. One of my friends said I should choose dishes that are easier to cook, and I replied they are not much of a challenge for me!

Love food in any form, except plainly boiled vegetables and insects. And I love to cook!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate should be a food group of it's own :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Strangely, I don't crave for chocolate, aversion therapy helped, in that my ex-hubby used to go on frequent work trips in Belgium or France, and he would bring back a box of high end chocolates each time. There were so much chocoloates I got bored with them, and had to asked him to stop buying them. That was in late 90s early 00s.

One of the desserts I make is chocolate mousse, and the resultant mousse is about 60% chocolate, and needs to be eaten with a dollop of whipped cream to take some of the bitterness away. I like to make it, however, I seldom eat it.

I had made truffles as part of my Christmas goodies bags in the past, however, not lately as it is too messy and hard work.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Love food in any form, except plainly boiled vegetables and insects. And I love to cook!
I'm with you on this one. Boiled vegetables are completely mushy and I like crunch. Couldn't say I've tried insects, but unless we're in a famine I think I'm above having to try it. I think I'm going to try making some curry tonight using pre-made sauces that I bought from Costco. Yum!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I do eat kale salad almost everyday--or some other sort of salad. I would eat beef everyday cuz I love it but I don't because variety=food!

cheers--Sharon

Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you on this one. Boiled vegetables are completely mushy and I like crunch. Couldn't say I've tried insects, but unless we're in a famine I think I'm above having to try it. I think I'm going to try making some curry tonight using pre-made sauces that I bought from Costco. Yum!

It's the thought of the little legs sticking out that bothers me. :rolleyes: :lol-2:

Mind you, I already eat prawns/shrimps, crabs and lobsters, so insects in theory should be doable, just smaller!

Enjoy your dinner.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like almost every kind of food but my favorites are sushi, eggplant parmesan and navratan korma (vegetarian). I dont eat a lot of meat and I've been off pork and beef for quite a while now. I just can't stand the idea of killing animals, particularly pigs, as they are quite intelligent. On rare occasion I eat free range humanely raised/chicken, but I eat a reasonable amount of humanely raised eggs and local cheeses. I can't give up fish, I love it too much.

For dessert, tiramisu and crème brûlée are my favorites, along with cookies. I eat too many cookies...

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's the thought of the little legs sticking out that bothers me. :rolleyes: :lol-2:

Mind you, I already eat prawns/shrimps, crabs and lobsters, so insects in theory should be doable, just smaller!

Enjoy your dinner.

In theory you could just discard the insect legs! For me, the idea of eating insects is 1) disgusting because who knows what chemicals those insects have ingested and 2) disgusting because the chitin to meat ratio is too high. With seafood crustaceans, at least you get a decent amount of meat once you peel the shell away.

While for a time I tried to be vegetarian like doberman, my loved ones are all meat eaters who are unwilling to give up meat. When I'm looking into DF's eyes and he tells me he wants to eat bacon, the pain the pig feels does not really come to mind. I think if I were a hermit living on my own and not cooking for my loved ones, I'd be content to have vegetables and tofu. If I've already prepared meat for my loved ones, I might as well eat it, too.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could happily eat fresh sour dough bread slathered in french butter everyday but alas...that's an occasional splurge for me. Good for you foods that I can happily eat everyday? Berries, my favorite fruits. Too bad they rot so dang fast. I do have strawberries in the fridge right now and I can't wait for strawberry season :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have become a fan of Granada's cuisine since settling here four years ago & a few things certainly stand out, but I can have fresh flatbread with a great olive oil & wine every day, give or take a few nibbles & I am done.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have become a fan of Granada's cuisine since settling here four years ago & a few things certainly stand out, but I can have fresh flatbread with a great olive oil & wine every day, give or take a few nibbles & I am done.

I have fond memories of trying percebes for the first time at Restaurante Marisquería Cunini. Delicious!

voce

Ideal_Rock
If hommus had no calories the world would be a better place.

Ugh, if only pita bread had no calories, I could live with calories in hommus/hummus!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have fond memories of trying percebes for the first time at Restaurante Marisquería Cunini. Delicious!

Thank you for the hint for lunch. I really should try some barnacles cooked by a pro & see what I do right/wrong; I am crazy about shellfish!

You got me with this one ,)

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the hint for lunch. I really should try some barnacles cooked by a pro & see what I do right/wrong; I am crazy about shellfish!

You got me with this one ,)

I recall that they were prepared quite simply, possibly steamed or boiled. Enjoy your lunch!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results