shape
carat
color
clarity

Follow up on the Diamond price jump~

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of BGD signature diamonds have risen in price! For example, $200 increase in .5ct H & A diamond just from last night!

I'm also glad that I have already chosen and purchased my 3 stone diamonds recently!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
That's so sad about the huggies. I was thinking about asking for those for Christmas or my birthday, too.

I just checked, and the AVC I was stalking is gone since last night. But I don't think the prices have gone up.

wreckem

Rough_Rock
Some of the diamond prices don't appear to have gone up. I swear the .775 H that has been posted on here a number of times is still the same price its been since it was added to the site at the beginning of May. Where as two of the SI1's I inquired about went up $200+. I think it might be because someone inquired about a diamond before the increase.

The price increases bring them in line with Whiteflash but still slightly cheaper.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
BGD definitely did increase prices on some of their inventory last night. I had been tracking a few .75ct Signature H&As over the past week, here's the breakdown of price activity from last night:

0.717ct/G/VS1
Pricing: $3,722 > unchanged
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366010

0.741ct/G/VS1
Pricing: $3,879 > unchanged
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-9408702

0.742ct/E/VS2
Pricing: $4,201 > $4,660 (11% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366005

0.780ct/E/VS2
Pricing: $4,429 > $4,913 (11% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366002

0.710ct/F/VS1
Pricing: $4,767 > $5,231 (10% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366019

wreckem said:
The price increases bring them in line with Whiteflash but still slightly cheaper.

^I'd agree with this. Prior to the increase, I also found the prices on BGD to be significantly lower than WF and most other online stores. A WF representative actually suggested to me that BGD was slow to raise their prices from the most recent industry-wide increase.

wreckem

Rough_Rock
speedy0514|1308427812|2949119 said:
^I'd agree with this. Prior to the increase, I also found the prices on BGD to be significantly lower than WF and most other online stores. A WF representative actually suggested to me that BGD was slow to raise their prices from the most recent industry-wide increase.

Prior to this increase, Whiteflash had raised their prices at least twice, possibly three times, since the last time BGD raised their prices.

It seems G-J haven't had a price increase. But it could just be an error/they haven't finished their price increases yet. Of the three stones I was wanting them to look at, the one I was wanting didn't go up in price, the other two did, so I guess that sorta makes my choice for me. I went a head and "bought" the stone on the website with the wire transfer option, I have until the 22nd to pay. I'm going to call them and get my total amount due as the invoice didn't include any discount or TX sales tax.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Devaluation of the dollar. It sucks all around.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
wreckem|1308432161|2949143 said:

Prior to this increase, Whiteflash had raised their prices at least twice, possibly three times, since the last time BGD raised their prices.

It seems G-J haven't had a price increase. But it could just be an error/they haven't finished their price increases yet. Of the three stones I was wanting them to look at, the one I was wanting didn't go up in price, the other two did, so I guess that sorta makes my choice for me. I went a head and "bought" the stone on the website with the wire transfer option, I have until the 22nd to pay. I'm going to call them and get my total amount due as the invoice didn't include any discount or TX sales tax.

Being new to the diamond market, could someone clarify the nature of the typical price fluctuation? I always figured pricing would change across the board by the same ratio (a 10% increase in price for ALL diamonds for example). Is that not the case? Does pricing tend to go up only for diamonds of certain grades or characteristics?

I just bought a G color for my e-ring, and I'd hate to think only colorless range diamonds have increased in price (even though I feel the pain of those people still shopping).

wreckem

Rough_Rock
speedy0514|1308436413|2949185 said:

Being new to the diamond market, could someone clarify the nature of the typical price fluctuation? I always figured pricing would change across the board by the same ratio (a 10% increase in price for ALL diamonds for example). Is that not the case? Does pricing tend to go up only for diamonds of certain grades or characteristics?

I just bought a G color for my e-ring, and I'd hate to think only colorless range diamonds have increased in price (even though I feel the pain of those people still shopping).

All colors and clarities go up in price, but not always the same precent across the board. I am not sure why quite a few of BGD's stones haven't changed prices. I am sure they will and someone said their prices were going up 7-15% depending on size color and clarity.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
So are we expecting price increases from all vendors within the next couple days then?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Glad we bought my BGD stone a couple of weeks ago! (Still awaiting my ring!)

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to Brian from BGD and he did tell me that the their new production will see a prices increase of 10% and that he has not raised the diamond prices 2 or 3 times like other vendors and that he can no longer can keep them at the same price. I guess if you are doing business you are not expecting to break even or lose money but rather make at least some profit. Every vendor is being affected by the global demand I guess.

tannet

Shiny_Rock
minmin001|1308413093|2948991 said:
Since BGD had their price update lastnight, first thing I checked this morning is our beloved leverback huggies. went from $375 to $450... so glad I got them two weeks ago~
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5413

So, what did you check and what went up? :blackeye:

This makes me sad! I've had these on my wish list for some time but decided to go with the studs first. I guess it's good I was able to get my studs before a price jump...but I haven't checked to see if K's and L's have increased. Anyway, I guess this just means I'll have to wait a little longer before I take the plunge on the huggies. :cry:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
All the good old gold prices seem to have went up, based on a bunch of solasferas that i was tracking. Don't have the specifics so please don't quote me, but if memory serves the increase is in the 10-15% bracket

wreckem

Rough_Rock
pinkprashu|1308443449|2949229 said:
I spoke to Brian from BGD and he did tell me that the their new production will see a prices increase of 10% and that he has not raised the diamond prices 2 or 3 times like other vendors and that he can no longer can keep them at the same price. I guess if you are doing business you are not expecting to break even or lose money but rather make at least some profit. Every vendor is being affected by the global demand I guess.

They averaged $200-400 cheaper than comparable online stores in the ct ranges I was looking at. I knew it was just a matter of time before they'd have to go up. Heck they are still cheaper than comparable stores. I just wish I had bought sooner but paying for a wedding while also trying to buy the engagement ring is hard with deposits here and there...

wreckem

Rough_Rock
TristanC|1308445617|2949244 said:
All the good old gold prices seem to have went up, based on a bunch of solasferas that i was tracking. Don't have the specifics so please don't quote me, but if memory serves the increase is in the 10-15% bracket

It looks like most of their rb's went up in price both H&A and solasferas. I swear some of WF prices also went up.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rats! I want a pair of those huggies but I don't want to pay the price hike!!! Rats rats and double rats. I am kicking myself now.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1308494138|2949501 said:
Rats! I want a pair of those huggies but I don't want to pay the price hike!!! Rats rats and double rats. I am kicking myself now.

I know! The threats of continual price increases definitely make me want to pull the trigger on other things now instead of later...

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
Here's another price jump example from Good old gold. I reserved the stone on Thursday but decided to let it go. Today it's relisted with a different price.

0.60 F VS2 Hearts and Arrows round brilliant

Thursday 6/16 -- $2669 (wire)
today 6/19 -- $3225 (wire)

druidtime

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1308432609|2949145 said:
Devaluation of the dollar. It sucks all around.

Yes, this is what happens when government uses the printing press to pay all its bills it can't afford and won't cut. Everyone loses.

Except for the guy with Trillons of dollars or that Swiss bank account.

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1308495116|2949509 said:
luv2sparkle|1308494138|2949501 said:

I know! The threats of continual price increases definitely make me want to pull the trigger on other things now instead of later...

Exactly how I feel! I just got a 0.64ct H&A from BGD (on Friday right before the price increase) and I actually was planning to get it next year for my graduation -- but I figured I should get the stone earlier before the prices continue to go up up up! Seeing what happened in the past few days I'm so glad that I did. Unfortunately I've used up my budget for now, or else I would be grabbing 2 smaller stones for studs too!

wreckem

Rough_Rock
Well it looks like most of the stones at BGD that hadn't yet received a price increase got them today(not all but most). My stone went up $180. Thankfully I already have an invoice for it.

Edit: It looks like friday/yesterday prices for D-F went up. Today it looks like Gs went up. It's just a matter of time before everything else goes up on their site.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
BGD definitely did increase prices on some of their inventory last night. I had been tracking a few .75ct Signature H&As over the past week, here's the breakdown of price activity from last night:

0.717ct/G/VS1
Pricing: $3,722 > unchanged
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366010

0.741ct/G/VS1
Pricing: $3,879 > unchanged
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-9408702

0.742ct/E/VS2
Pricing: $4,201 > $4,660 (11% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366005

0.780ct/E/VS2
Pricing: $4,429 > $4,913 (11% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366002

0.710ct/F/VS1
Pricing: $4,767 > $5,231 (10% increase)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366019

Wreckem is right, all of the diamonds I was tracking are now at the higher price.

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
minmin001|1308413093|2948991 said:
Since BGD had their price update lastnight, first thing I checked this morning is our beloved leverback huggies. went from $375 to $450... so glad I got them two weeks ago~
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5413

So, what did you check and what went up? :blackeye:

Ok well not only were these on my very soon list (as in my next purchase within the next 3 mos) but will now have to wait, now my recut/stud project is farther away than ever too ;( ;(

I am just going to have to be thankful for what I have I suppose. Sigh.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will these price changes change the face of pricescope? Will there be no new bling on SMTR or will it be signicantly smaller bling??

luckky

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1308530019|2949767 said:
Will these price changes change the face of pricescope? Will there be no new bling on SMTR or will it be signicantly smaller bling??

Or another way will be more BLINGS!! :love: because will be more PS hurry up to pull the trigger too (I guess), yeah...may be smaller bling better than no bling. :nono:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Wreckem have you got your adjusted invoice yet?

wreckem

Rough_Rock
Lovinggems|1308655663|2950910 said:

Wreckem have you got your adjusted invoice yet?

I never go a hold of them on Sunday, or emailed them about, so I was going to call yesterday morning but they emailed me the updated invoice before I had a chance. The email was time stamped at 1:08am.

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone,
On 6/17 Paul Slegers of Infinity Diamonds e-mailed me that Rap had raised prices, on average 7 to 8%.

I replied back that "This is getting a little crazy"

He then e-mailed me the following:

Hi Jim,

It may seem crazy, but is it?

If we look at historic pricing of diamonds, my estimate is that the average price-movement was far behind inflation from 1990 through 2005. Then, we saw prices slowly going up, but the financial crisis brought them down again.

Now, for over 5 years, we are talking about no new mines being found. Thus, supply of rough is going to go down.
In 2008-09, many miners reduced their activity, but they now clearly have difficulties bringing supply up again to pre-crisis levels.
In most predictions, demand for polished is predicted to rise, but the growth-rates are always estimated rather low. Is this truly correct?
If we foresee that China and India are the exploding markets of the future, it makes sense for chains to establish themselves there efficiently. This means heavy investment in establishing stores in every major city (and there are many), with all of them carrying a large stock of diamonds. This creates a much higher demand at the wholesale-level than at the consumer-level.
As far as prices of rough go, cutting-houses are now fighting to preserve their supply of the next decade, with them wanting to pay a lot more than the actual value of the polished.
Rough purchased in February can now be sold at break-even, after the last Rap-change. For cutters to make a profit, especially on more expensive rough bought after February, our industry is in need of a few more Rap-increases in the next months.

All this to say that the merry-go-round is not going to stop soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results