shape
carat
color
clarity

Foiled rings: Do you wear them?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore Georgian era rings but as you probably know, they're usually foil-backed. I've passed on several that I've LOVED because they require such diligent avoidance of contact with water/other liquids. Knowing me, I'd be successful only 80% of the time at keeping a foiled ring perfectly dry. :rolleyes:

Do any of you own foiled rings, and if so, how good are you at keeping them dry? Do you have any horror stories about getting a foiled ring wet?? Do you recommend or advise against owning a foiled ring? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I have only one foiled ring, and in spite of loving the way it looks, I just never wear it. The good news is that it had been wet a million times and the foil was already black when I bought it. It’s beautiful, even with the dark foil. The bad news is, I still never wear it. Looks great in my jewellery case, but I probably won’t keep it.

49EE406B-26FA-4BEE-AF7D-0EBBD4114EE8.jpeg

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two foiled rings, an antique pink topaz and a rose cut diamond. I take them off and put them in my pocket when I wash my hands. They do take more care to wear in that respect, but I love the look.
I also have a pair of antique, foiled, rose cut earrings, and I don’t wear them if it’s raining.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too high maintenance for me but I do love them on others. I just know it wouldn't work for me and I would stress too much when I would wear it so would end up not wearing it.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only one foiled ring, and in spite of loving the way it looks, I just never wear it. The good news is that it had been wet a million times and the foil was already black when I bought it. It’s beautiful, even with the dark foil. The bad news is, I still never wear it. Looks great in my jewellery case, but I probably won’t keep it.

49EE406B-26FA-4BEE-AF7D-0EBBD4114EE8.jpeg

Oh that's a beautiful piece of history there! :love: I guess the fact that the foil was already discolored by the time you got it means the pressure was off to keep it eternally dry and pristine, lol. But yeah, if you don't ever wear it then I agree she may need a new home at some point.

I have two foiled rings, an antique pink topaz and a rose cut diamond. I take them off and put them in my pocket when I wash my hands. They do take more care to wear in that respect, but I love the look.
I also have a pair of antique, foiled, rose cut earrings, and I don’t wear them if it’s raining.

Your foiled jewels sound gorgeous! I'm glad you have a system for keeping them dry that works for you. How do you keep them clean? Do you use a soft jewelry polishing cloth?

Too high maintenance for me but I do love them on others. I just know it wouldn't work for me and I would stress too much when I would wear it so would end up not wearing it.

Yup, that's me too. :mrgreen: I absolutely LOVE how they look, but I'd worry nonstop about ruining the foil. Sigh. Darn.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your foiled jewels sound gorgeous! I'm glad you have a system for keeping them dry that works for you. How do you keep them clean? Do you use a soft jewelry polishing cloth?
Yep, a soft cloth. Sometimes I’ll take a q-tip and dab rubbing alcohol on the diamonds only, but that’s only if it’s getting really dull.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a toi et moi rose cut ring made and couldn't wear it because of the condensation and moisture that appeared after only a short period of time of wearing it. I ended up getting the back opened up which has made it super easy to wear now.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, a soft cloth. Sometimes I’ll take a q-tip and dab rubbing alcohol on the diamonds only, but that’s only if it’s getting really dull.

Got it! So, I'm a bit of a germaphobe and the thought of never being able to truly clean my ring other than using a cloth does worry me a bit. So far all signs point to AVOID. :blackeye:

I had a toi et moi rose cut ring made and couldn't wear it because of the condensation and moisture that appeared after only a short period of time of wearing it. I ended up getting the back opened up which has made it super easy to wear now.

That's great! Sounds gorgeous and wearable!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they’re easier to wear as earrings, because you can still clean them if need be, but they’re not getting as dirty.

Excellent idea. I've seen some drop-dead beautiful dangly foiled garnet earrings that would be amazing. Another possibility is a pendant maybe. All of my earrings/necklaces right now are costume or fashion jewelry....maybe it's time to change that!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you specifically want an antique piece? A few designers are doing a faux foil backing (polished plate behind the stone) to get the foiled look but without the problems of trapping water, dirt etc.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lissyflo! I love antique pieces but am not opposed to the idea of antique-inspired! Which designers are doing the faux foils? Would be very interested in exploring!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @lissyflo! I love antique pieces but am not opposed to the idea of antique-inspired! Which designers are doing the faux foils? Would be very interested in exploring!

Definitely Dolly at xothebijouxbox does a lot on rose cuts. She has lots of pics and close- up videos on her Insta. And Caysie did something similar on a moonstone for me, so she could definitely do a great repro version. I love the Georgian look too - I’m excited to follow along!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think KK Johnson's setting could be considered another example of a faux foil since DK added a polished cup to it. I know she wasn't trying to achieve an antique style, but it's the same idea of sticking something bright and shiny behind a gem to enhance its beauty.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah don't think I could cope with the maintenance required. Great idea for earrings or necklace though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results