shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abhwth

Rough_Rock
can someone please explain the concept of fluorescence? It is my understanding that this can sometimes cause a stone to be misgraded up one color or is that an out of date view? Does fluorescence ever occur as a by product of color enhancement?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You can read about fluorescence in the tutorial. https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fluor.asp

abhwth

Rough_Rock
I read the tutorial but it does not answer the question of whether flouresence is ever a by product of color enhancement. Also, is this something that in a lower color graded stone would be seen as desirable?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that either a stone comes out of the ground fluorescing or it doesn't. I don't think enhancements affect this, but I'm not an expert. Yes, blue (not yellow) fluorescence can be an asset by making a lower color stone look whiter. The only concern may be if the fluorescence is so strong that the stone could look oily or milky. I've seen it, but I don't think it happens often. I like blue fluorescence in diamonds.

Hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results