Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abhwth

Rough_Rock
can someone please explain the concept of fluorescence? It is my understanding that this can sometimes cause a stone to be misgraded up one color or is that an out of date view? Does fluorescence ever occur as a by product of color enhancement?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You can read about fluorescence in the tutorial. https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fluor.asp

abhwth

Rough_Rock
I read the tutorial but it does not answer the question of whether flouresence is ever a by product of color enhancement. Also, is this something that in a lower color graded stone would be seen as desirable?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that either a stone comes out of the ground fluorescing or it doesn't. I don't think enhancements affect this, but I'm not an expert. Yes, blue (not yellow) fluorescence can be an asset by making a lower color stone look whiter. The only concern may be if the fluorescence is so strong that the stone could look oily or milky. I've seen it, but I don't think it happens often. I like blue fluorescence in diamonds.

Hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.