shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a fluorescent stone, but a strange effect that I have described before. It is a green-blue stone which I presumed was aqua. Not so, said my appraiser, it is glass because of the air bubbles.

posaqua1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not fluoresce under fluorescent light, but it changes the color which is hard to see in my pictures. In pictures, it looks yellowish like my synthetic corundum. IRL it looks pinkinsh like morganite or kunzite. It is very transparent so I would not be surprized if it were glass although I am surprized that anyone would mount glass in rose gold. But can glass change color under fluorescent light?
I am not asking anyone to identify this stone. Personally, I think it is too bright to be real.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry forgot the pic.

posaqua222.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Crasru - you do make me giggle! I absolutely adore your photos and you know what? They would grace any modern art funky fluor exhibition. I simply adore the effect you''ve got on some of them!

Now then, fluoresence and white diamonds - years ago, fluor (or blue/white diamonds) were considered the best. At some point they fell out of favour and the price dropped for diamonds with strong fluor. In the past few years it appears there has been a resurgence in love for diamonds with fluor. Luckily the price is still lower(!). I have a 1ct pear shaped diamond with strong blue fluor that is an I colour. It''s one of the whitest looking diamonds I own and in sunlight - WOW! If you search on my name you''ll see photos of it. I would never pass up a diamond with fluor - in fact I actively look for it!!!

The only time fluor can be detrimental is when the diamond looks "greasy" or like it has an oil slick over it. Very very very occasionally a diamond with strong fluor can look like that and yes, that''s undesirable BUT the number of diamonds that actually have that characteristic is small.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, LD, you saved my day because I saw several diamonds that were fluorescing blue in my rings and almost got upset. But for three days I had so much fun, walking around with this pen and "checking" all my stones for fluorescence! I was planning to sell my light-blue native cut sapphire but to my surprize, it fluoresced pink! Now I can not part with a stone that is so much fun! Kids coming to my office enjoyed my game, too!

As to pictures...Yes, I guess I can blow them up, print and frame them and hang in my wating area as samples of modern art. But, LD, for someone who had to take photos with the pen in the mouth and the camera in both hands, and directing the light on the stones, I did not do so poorly! And sometimes I was holding the camera with one hand because the ring was on my finger! (Now why my towel fluoresces is a totally different question. Unstable electrones, I presume).

My husband explained the phenomenon of fluorescence to me. If TL expresses interest (she likes husbands to be smart, it seems) I can explain it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - to save camera wobble try this:-

Put your gem on a table facing towards you.

Put the UV pen about 5 inches in front of it (pointing towards it) and move until you see the fluor well.

With both elbows on the table (and straddling the UV pen, point your camera down and zoom in and take the photo
or
Put the camera on the table to one side of the UV pen to eliminate wobble, you may need to angle the camera but then point and shoot.

No wobble, both hands are used for the camera and you won''t break your teeth in the process!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Fun pictures! My hubby just bought me a gem microscope for my birthday, but somehow I still lack a uv bulb!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
You inspired me to check out my collection! The only fluor I found was in my melee stones. Turns out they''re rubies.

fluorattempt001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results